iPhone XS Max People can no longer hear me when I talk on speakerphone. What could be wrong?

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
People can hear me when I talk on my iPhone XS Max, but when I use the speakerphone I can hear them but they can't hear me. I have tested out my mics with a front facing and rear facing video like apple's site suggested, and also have reset network settings. What could be wrong?

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
The speakerphone to intake your voice is on the bottom left hand portion of the phone (when the phone is facing you). Are you holding your phone with your pinky blocking that area? I've had this problem before on my 6s+ and on my 8+, and I can replicate it on my Xs Max if I put my pinky out to hold the phone upright. My pinky will be to the left of the charging port and block the intake microphone on the left side of the phone.

That's the only thing that I can think of. I stopped using my pinky to stabilize my phone when holding it upright. This solved my problems of people not being able to hear me.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Did you accidentally press mute perhaps? Take it to Apple and have them check it.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
This was a known issue with 7 and 7+ iPhones. It was a hardware issue. I have no reason to suspect that the Xs series has a consistent hardware failure issue, but nonetheless you should take it to have Apple look at is as it's still under warranty.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I reset phone to factory settings and it still will not work. I tried to create a voice memo and it is nothing but silence, so obviously one of the mics for whatever reason has gone out. I have no damage to the phone. Not sure what happened. Shouldn't Verizon be able to send me a replacement for free since it I didn't do any kind of damage and it is covered under Apple's limited one year warranty?

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Southeast Florida
My friend had the same issue on her iPhone 6s. We took it to Apple, they ran their diagnostics check in the store. Turns out the mic failed the test, they took the iPhone in the back, literally less than 5 minutes later the Genius came back out with the phone, ran the test again and it passed. We did a test phone call and all was good. They didn't charge anything either, even though the phone is way out of warranty.

Go to the Apple Store, not Verizon.

Reactions: BigMcGuire