People complaining about new USB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ay_Zimmy, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

It doesn't make sense.. So everyone wants apple to take their iphone to a new level, become innovative etc.. But when they want to set a new standard for USB's charge power and size everyone complains. So everyone wants apple to be innovative but without them having to buy new accessories? I don't see the big deal in buying new accessories, it's not like it's going to change every year. This could be the next USB for the next 5-10 years. I just can't see how people are that upset over it. It's probably also helping fit things into the phone that wouldn't be possible with the other USB.. Be happy that a new thing is being introduced, and stop complaining over your 20 dollar car charger that your going to have to buy. Or the 5-10 dollar adapter cable.. Smh

2. TurnTronics macrumors member

I agree. The smaller USB will allow for more flexibility with case designs and possibly even improve charge time. If you expect Apple to innovate, why keep the same dated technology? I'm sure Apple is changing it for a reason.

3. cynics macrumors G3

It's a hassle IMO. However I do have a few points that agree with you.

1. While docks and accessories will no longer work, for me those accessories wouldn't work anyway if the iPhone changes size.

2. An adaptor will take care of everything else I have. And while not pretty can make the docks like in the ihome work.

3. I don't have to buy a new iPhone. I considered it a perk that the accessories worked like they have. I don't feel I'm owed anything.

For me it's just gonna be a few cords I need to buy. I probably already have them if it's a USB standard. And I'm sure the computer/charger end will still be USB so I won't have to replace my outlets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ay_Zimmy thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool outlets. And yes I believe they will probably have the end cord into a computer or they will give a small connector to add on. But if they are changing the battery, it's time for more power. Apple always has its reasoning.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

that is the coolest outlet i have seen :)

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Cool? Yes, but with as quickly as technology is evolving, I'd be weary of buying/installing something that could so quickly be outdated. Also, I'd have to consider the cost of purchasing and repairing the unit versus just having a few extra USB cables around.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

they are really cheap...$25ish

8. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I really like the new connector. The old one was starting to feel dated.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I dunno man.

My quick Amazon search (not at all definitive :)), showed the average price to be around $30 versus the average price of a typical AC wall receptacle to be less than half of that, around $13.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

11. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I am an audiophile due to working/selling Home Theater products for 6 years in HS and College. So, I have a Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin Air, which retails for $599.99, which is expensive as hell as Accessories go (for the non 1%)... I have a docking station for my Denon Receiver for my Surround Sound System... I have an iPhone plug in for my car (manufacturer part)...

Yet, I am not at all upset about the change of the USB adapter. It needed to be done. It needs to be smaller and take up less space on the phone... Look at the micro and mini USB plugs on every other current phone.

I just hope when an adapter comes out that, that is it small and sleek. I just do not want it to be gigantic. I also hope it comes in black for my Zeppelin Air... The Zeppelin has AirPlay, which is REALLY nice, but it is not always perfect. It is better to plug my phone into it directly when I can. BTW, it sounds awesome and I recommended it to anyone who does not mind paying a little more for quality.

Attached Files:

12. cynics, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

cynics macrumors G3

True technology moves fast but they are USB chargers. So as long as computers use USB they shouldn't get outdated. And we are just beginning to scratch the surface of USB with 3.0 not being mainstream yet.

They are convenient on the kitchen counter because I can have my iPhone/ipad and my gf's droid plugged without a mess of chargers and still have an outlet for appliances or even another charger.

They were 14 bucks at a local electric supply house and took me 5 minutes to install. I'm in the electronics field so I didn't have to pay retail.

Edit: the identical model at lowes is 20 bucks just search 'USB outlet'. There are better ones I'm seeing though with both outlets and 2 USB plugs. But doesn't look like there is a light

13. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

The people this hurts the most are those who bought like $100+ dock stereos. People don't really care if they have to change car cables, or cases...ect that's just small stuff.

I have a 50 dollar Magellan car dock. I am not really annoyed though, I am just going to get a regular car adapter when iPhone 5 comes out.

14. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm not losing any sleep over the new connector. I am quite sure, though, that whatever connector it ends up being, it will be proprietary to Apple. It won't be off the shelf USB cable compatible.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Problem is Apple made the change and still using a proprietary connection that only works on Apple products. Apple should of gone with added microUSB so it could work with all the other phones out there. Apple paid lip services and did not follow the spirit of the uniform standard (micro USB) that all the other phones went with.

16. cynics, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

cynics macrumors G3

Be nice if it's a micro USB with MHL support like some of the competition. HDMI without with the need for more ports. Doubt we'll see that anytime soon though.

17. Ay_Zimmy thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't think of stuff like that. But I'm absolutely sure they will make adaptors of some sort for these things. But if not, who's down to make it? :D

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

We don't need ANOTHER proprietary Apple cable. Micro USB would work just fine. That is my only issue with it. Whatever they do, cables will become cheap enough. I am willing to bet we will see them for under a buck on eBay in six months time, or less anyway.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Connectors are talkin'
    Talkin' 'bout connections
    I hear the transfer speeds, you won't believe it
    They think we're b/c lovers kept under cover
    I just ignore it, but they keep saying
    We play tones just a little too loud
    We pair just a little too close
    We upload just a little too long
    Maybe they're syncing something we don't, Darlin'.

20. Ay_Zimmy thread starter macrumors 6502

That's true. So we can stop the uproar?

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am not sure there is much of an uproar. People that forked out the money for items such as docked speakers have legitimate concern though.