People do know when Good Friday is, right?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Has anyone else gotten anyone saying a comment about how tomorrow is supposedly Good Friday? Because ... sadly, I got one today. Well, no, not just one.

And then I found out that it started on Facebook. I don't know what to say, it just seems weird that even religious people don't know when their own holiday is.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Has anyone else gotten anyone saying a comment about how today is supposedly Good Friday? Because ... sadly, I got one today. Well, no, not just one.

And then I found out that it started on Facebook. I don't know what to say, it just seems weird that even religious people don't know when their own holiday is.
No, not all people know...or care. :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Weird.

How about all people of the religion that it is based on?
It's weird that not all people know, or care, when Good Friday is? Why is that weird?

As far as folks who are followers of the religion for which Good Friday is a day of great importance...one might expect that they would know. But I am certainly not in the position to speak for that population.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Has anyone else gotten anyone saying a comment about how today is supposedly Good Friday? Because ... sadly, I got one today. Well, no, not just one.

I'm going to assume this is due to a religion-inspired perception that the "black" in "Black Friday" is a Satanic reference designed and implanted into modern society by The Evil One.

Black magic = bad vs. white magic = good, etc.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
It's weird that not all people know, or care, when Good Friday is? Why is that weird?

As far as folks who are followers of the religion for which Good Friday is a day of great importance...one might expect that they would know. But I am certainly not in the position to speak for that population.
I can tell you religious holidays of just about every major religion, I guess it just seems weird to me.

Not only that, but it seems weird to me that there are people in places that religion isn't being shoved rabidly in their face. Where is this mythical nirvana?

I'm going to assume this is due to a religion-inspired perception that the "black" in "Black Friday" is a Satanic reference designed and implanted into modern society by The Evil One.

Black magic = bad vs. white magic = good, etc.
But that ... just doesn't make sense.

My head hurts.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009

How is Good Friday on a Thursday? :confused:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
... But that ... just doesn't make sense.

My head hurts.
"Making sense" is optional in America...

Sharron Angle Campaigned Against Black Football Jerseys On Religious Grounds: Color is 'Thoroughly Evil'

Nevada Republican Senate candidate Sharron Angle once partook in a campaign against a local high school's use of black football jerseys, arguing that the dark color was ungodly and wicked...

"I cannot quote scripture as they did to justify their point but the gist of their argument was that black as a color was thoroughly evil, invoking the supernatural and especially the devil," Roberts reports. "Whichever argument prevailed, school administrators caved in and prohibited the Muckers from wearing the black apparel."

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I couldn't care less about the bizarre Christian witchcraft stuff, but I definitely know their holidays. I remember "Good Friday" as the day where music clubs in Germany weren't/aren't allowed to open. Which is absolute BS. Dear religious people, if the idea of dancing people upsets you and your "god" so much, lock yourselves up in your four walls, commit suicide or do something else productive that won't have an effect on the life of others. Thanks.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Really? That's so weird?

So do you guys go to the beach at Christmas like normal people?
Lmfao you might down there but the only reason you would be on the beach at Christmas in the uk would be if you were intoxicated

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I have always wondered why they call a day Jesus was nailed to a cross and stabbed to death "Good Friday"
Nothing about that seems good to me. I was raised catholic and do know when Good Friday is, but asking random people it seems not to many know for sure.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
I have always wondered why they call a day Jesus was nailed to a cross and stabbed to death "Good Friday"
Nothing about that seems good to me. I was raised catholic and do know when Good Friday is, but asking random people it seems not to many know for sure.
For christians it is called good because it is the day Jesus died for mankind's sins thus allowing the promise of getting into heaven.

That's why it's called "good". It was a good thing.