People have a fundamental right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Feb 5, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Anyone who says people can't get healthcare or coverage and to let them go bankrupt or die, whatever is worse who gives a rat since they're both ****ty situations, are not American.

Simple.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Absolutely!

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I'm not sure what this is about....kind of scared.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Whew, I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest.

7. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Healthcare should be available to everyone regardless of how much money you have, so glad I live in a country where it is available to everyone.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Just rub it in then

9. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Not my intent, I just can't believe your government would rather let you die on the street if you had no health cover than trying to, in a worst case scenario, save your life.

The Michael Moore Doco "Sicko" is a real eye opener, you have the best health facilities in the world but only the rich can take advantage of it.

10. wepiii macrumors 6502

That isn't really how it works. Nobody is turned down due to lack of insurance coverage. You definitely can't get the same level of care as someone who is wealthy and on a great insurance plan... But it isn't like if you walk in to the ER with a gunshot wound they turn you away or something if you can't pay.

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

How much healthcare? Who decides?

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

but if it is not an emergency you can't get care. by the time it gets that far the cost skyrockets. I bet it costs far more in the us for everyone not to have insurance then to have it.

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Healthcare has always been available to everybody here in the US, no matter how much money you have.

BTW...how long is the line? I can call my doc right now after hours on a Friday night and I'll get a call back tomorrow for an appointment on Monday.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2016 ---
    False. Plenty of public assistance was already picking up the tab for the poor. The only people it's gotten expensive for is people that had insurance when this Obamacare nightmare started. As for cost, the expansion of insurance drove up the cost of medical care (thanks unions!). Just like easy to get student loans drive up the cost of a college education.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Before 2014, many that already had health issues were basically blacklisted(loose term). It would be almost impossible for them to find health insurance that would accept them. They same goes with those kicked off their policy, and try to find another.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is exactly why the current system is bat **** stupid and why we need to implement full universal coverage. This is one of the many reasons why the US pays nearly double on healthcare per capita than Canada, UK, France, Australia, etc.

16. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

And that could have been resolved by passing a law that prescribed basic policy benefit requirements for insurers, just like minimum coverage requirements for driving a car, without all of the Obamacare baggage.

17. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

false? there are a whole lot of people without healthcare before obomacare. all you have to god is go t the red states and see it. obomacare got millions onto care they could not afford. for the first time in 20 or more years I could get insurance. this is why republicans know they can't turn off obomacare they would cut insurance to so many people it would be a huge disaster.

18. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You realize most of those people were already insured via public assistance right?

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No. I know people who have fallen through the cracks in the system due to preexisting conditions before the ACA came into effect. Most of them had to rely on the good will of the hospital to hope to get any treatment at all. Which, of course, costs the hospitals a goodly amount of cash, since they were doing expensive procedures practically pro bono.

20. steve knight, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

they may or may not qualify for food stamps but medical is a whole other ballgame. right now it is about 33 million people don't have insurance. thats after the 9 million were able to get it through obomacare. 10% or more don't most of those are in the poorest red states. so over 40 million people did to have insurance before obomacare.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why was expansion of Medicaid a part of the ACA, if they were already insured via public assistance?

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

It transferred it from State to Federal level responsibility. It didn't change the dynamic as far as the individual is concerned. Fraud will no doubt be worse as time passes because the Federal government is so ridiculously incompetent. If thats progress, I have swamp land to sell you.

--- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2016 ---
    So then you agree Obamacare was unnecessary and only served to drive up the cost of health insurance to those who had insurance wiith no appreciable increase in the number of people with private insurers. Excellent.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Nope.

As a whole, the PPACA is slowing the growth of healthcare costs and even bringing them down in some areas.

Obamacare did do one thing though. It opened up people's eyes to how ridiculously inflated health care costs in this country are. The thing is though, that's not the fault of Obamacare. That's the fault of America treating healthcare as a business or industry instead of a critical public service.

You want healthcare costs to go down? Kick big business out of the healthcare game altogether. That's the only way to do it. As long as profits are involved in healthcare, costs will do nothing but increase. Our healthcare "industry" is the reason why we pay nearly double of every other developed nation.

[​IMG]

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

This is America, where you have a fundamental right to carry weapons on you in public and kill other people if needed, but not a right to healthcare if needed. Pure brilliance here, folks. I'm really starting to wonder exactly how much mental illness has pervaded many Americans.

And if you walk into a doctor's office and end up having cancer? Who's paying for your treatment if you can't afford the treatment, but don't qualify for full government care? Oh right...probably no one. You have to be stabilized in the case of a life-threatening injury. You do not have to be healed or taken care of. You know that, right?

But, even with the insurance plan, you can still go bankrupt over it. Because America's healthcare system is ******* stupid. My savings account was nearly wiped out after the birth of our child and later autism treatments, as it became apparent just how little insurance actually pays. And no, I don't/didn't have some high-deductible plan. I have very expensive insurance through a major carrier. Still covers jack-all and denies most of it.

So, you can get all the treatment you need for anything, no matter if you can afford it or not?

Good for you. That's why even with universal care, there should also be private insurance for people who want even more.

My insurance went up leaps and bounds every year far before Obama was a twinkle in the right-wing's eye. It has only continued to go up as before.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2016 ---
    This....all of this.

25. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

no 9,000,000 people were able to get insurance. its not to perfect though for sure. but most of the uninsured are in states who won't not sign up for obomacare. states where they let their people go uninsured uneducated unemployed and poorer then everyone else.