People Localy selling Iphone 3g 16 gb brand new for 300-400? [Help with hoax]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by preguntonontrac, Sep 18, 2008.

1. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

I am from Puerto Rico, i have seen many people selling a brand new iphone 3g 16 gb.. It seems strange to me since is not available here..

My questions is? How i can determined is a hoax or when i see it how to determine is legitimate phone working 100%? be detailed please

Also if people wanna share their knowledge in types of hoax regarding the iphone when buying locally please do.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, tell them you want to be able to turn it on and stick a sim in there. BUT since it doesn't sound like they're unlocked I'm not sure how you'll test call functionality.

3. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

What knowledge? How about common sense. If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

5. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone i know there some good copies out here i just need guidelines to detect fakes hardware and software...

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

damn lazy and gullible bum, why can't you do your own search?

ps admin, is this mild enough not to get banned again?

7. BryanSanDiego macrumors newbie

BryanSanDiego

Advice

Take a laptop with you or only do the exchange where you can hook it up to iTunes and run a restore this will determine the hardware if it is not valid it will give you an error. Just my 2 cents if that would help at all

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You might get your laptop stolen...

It should be obvious if its real or fake. Play with the interface, try all the settings, etc and you'll know.

9. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

10. kidwithshirt macrumors member

craigslist right?

dont even try. right now 350 for 8g first gen

i saw a couple this morning, 16g 3g white for 300. They get deleted quickly

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

ROFL I love this comment!

To the OP: You asked for help someone (me) responded. You asked for help again. My guess is you're looking for a deal that you know is bad. You're liable to get duped anyway because you refuse to do your own research. Buyer beware.

12. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

It's a scam and more than likely it's a great way to get robbed. You show up with $300-$400 cash. Instead of an Iphone, it's a gun being pulled out to take your money. Good luck!:eek: This is done on Craigslist from time to time.

13. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow great answers, venomized thought exactly the same has i did o well. I guess even i thought on doing it on a mall or something.

and no wis not craiglist is ads on local papers.

14. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

want to know if its legit? Tell them you want the IMEI number, take it and call AT&T or whoever your provider is and have them check it in their system, because you wont be able to activate it if the number is associated with either another account or its stolen

15. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Where "they" can find this?

16. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I got my iPhone in Puerto Rico last month and it works great!!

I suggest you buy two and resell the other one. :p

17. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

18. MacMontana macrumors member

Do the transaction in a VERY public place and bring some homies with you for backup.

19. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

I have experience of fraud sellers of the iphone and I know of several more sites which are very dodgy. The bottom line is your taking a big risk in purchasing anything outside of the legal legit route, and there is a high chance you will be scammed, the goods will be stolen or there will be connection problems in the near future.

It must be very tempting to try and get one if they are not out yet in your country, but from what I've learned the phones are locked to the country of origins simcard and number. This would mean the card with it could be on very expensive roaming charges, and when you try and replace it with a sim from your own country it probably won't work. The best thing to do is be patient and always go the legit and official way to avoid problems. Best wishes.