People moaning about the same design? Glass or metal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 15, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Are they just disappointed Apple never went with a metal back like Ipad and a curve design like some early leaks? Maybe lack of a wide phone rather than tall?

I think we have to remember what an elegant design the Iphone 4 was why change it?

The one thing that put me off the 3GS was the curve design. I jumped ship at the Iphone 4.

So my question is do you prefer Glass or metal/plastic?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Metal and glass over plastic. Plastic is easily scratched not to mention the fact that plastic is easier to show if its dirty/fingerprints and crack.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Its a completely different design - dont see why people are complaining.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The only thing that is the same is the metal band around the phone, everything else was changed, even the speaker grills.

5. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

People clearly want triangles made of plastic. Hear that Samsung! We have spoken!

6. meganator macrumors member

I'm glad it isn't rounded. I like that I can stand the phone up on its side and I'd miss that ability. I remember thinking I wouldn't like the square design but I really do.

7. taedouni macrumors 65816

People who complain must be pot heads. They're too high to notice the difference.

8. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Design is such a loaded word. *Unfortunately many people equate design with being just aesthetics. *And since the iPhone is still using the metal band people think it hasn't been redesigned. Funny though I don't hear people complaining about the Lumia design not changing (apart from getting bigger):

Here's the Nokia Lumia 800
    [​IMG]

And 900
    [​IMG]

And 920
    [​IMG]

The basic design on all three of those phones is the same. If you have a good design why change it? Apple clearly likes their design and so has opted not to change it much. Same with Nokia.

9. cotak macrumors regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Zz3p5rQcM

Try that with the back off any iphone...

10. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I think glass looks great but is too fragile for me. I think I prefer aluminum the most (remember the old iPod Nanos?), plastic second (the 3G/GS was great in the hand) and glass last.

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

what I don't understand is.....they did change it! how is the phone supposed to look? its a flipping a PHONE. Is it supposed to be round? Octagon? I don't get it. The phone was redesigned inside and out. because the sides are once again metal they didnt even touch it?

12. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Seriously no one cares. The top comment even says it.

----------

>.< It's gorilla glass on the iPhone 5. It's not fragile. That is just you thinking it's fragile because of what you believe glass is. There's perception and then the facts.

Gorilla Glass Test. Smashing!

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

14. cotak macrumors regular

Actually it doesn't fly off.

And it's not pointless. What it shows is there's more to durability than just whether you think the material is cheap or expensive. Drop a 3G or 3GS on it's back you are likely to gets cracks (I did) in the plastic. The very ductile plastic that samsung use is actual quite durable. It's an engineering choice for a different preference. Doesn't make it worse. And people will have different preferences. I didn't mind the plastic back on the 3G except that it wasn't durable.

Frankly, the metal back isn't disappointing. The glass back on the 4 and 4S made most people treat their phone with kid gloves. Metal backs can at least take a drop without cracking.

15. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Why would you do that with any phone at all...?

And on another note, holy crap that tablet is small. Or should I say that phone is ridiculously huge? Either way, I greatly dislike that awkward size.

16. cotak macrumors regular

Why do people post videos where they light their own farts on fire?

Actually after seeing what people use the note for on the subway. It's not as crazy as some would like to think. It looks like a really great mobile gaming platform actually. And also great for watching videos. Considering how common man purse are now a days it's not surprising there's a market for such phones.

17. Nathan576 macrumors member

its mostly android fanboys trolling. they are starting to get bored though. I bet once the phone is out and when it sells like crack and gets amazing reviews people will shut up

18. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Ok again it's gorilla glass not the kind of glass in the cars of 1970 that shatter.