People not wanting to spend $40 on Apple clear, get the Dynex $10

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-ultrathin-case-for-apple-iphone-xr-clear/6280579.p?skuId=6280579

It’s pretty solid!

I like it a lot more than my liquid crystal Spigen which is a lot thicker, lack of protection aside

It has pretty much no lip whatsoever, but there is a camera lip (indicative of how thin the case is) and it feels nice

For $10 it’s been pretty dang good if you know what you’re getting into with minimal to no protection but grip

Unbranded too, and you might have it in stock in your local BB’s for same day pickup!

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-ultrathin-case-for-apple-iphone-xr-clear/6280579.p?skuId=6280579

It’s pretty solid!

I like it a lot more than my liquid crystal Spigen which is a lot thicker, lack of protection aside

It has pretty much no lip whatsoever, but there is a camera lip (indicative of how thin the case is) and it feels nice

For $10 it’s been pretty dang good if you know what you’re getting into with minimal to no protection but grip

Unbranded too, and you might have it in stock in your local BB’s for same day pickup!
Some of the reviews are sketch mixed with good, but more importantly, ‘Yellowing’ is always a concern, which most clear case manufacturers are focusing more on, this case does not advocate that. Although, for $10.00, what more could you expect? But it’s significantly underpriced from Apple’s, which is the key.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The bottom isn't open to allow for swipe gestures, which may be an annoyance to some people if the lip is thick at all. Also, it's semi-clear according to the reviews. The Apple case is crystal clear.

I would expect the Apple case not to yellow, but agree that cheaper cases can be replaced for much less when they yellow.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I’m certain it will yellow in time

But the verdict isn’t out whether or not apple solves that problem

Considering they didn’t solve the rainbow effect, I doubt they did for yellowing either

Especially considering people claim the apple case has stiff button overlay

The bottom lacks a lip like the other edges so I don’t think covered bottom interferes with gestures personally

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Yeah I’m certain it will yellow in time

But the verdict isn’t out whether or not apple solves that problem

Considering they didn’t solve the rainbow effect, I doubt they did for yellowing either

Especially considering people claim the apple case has stiff button overlay

The bottom lacks a lap like the other edges so I don’t think covered bottom interferes with gestures personally
I have to agree with you that the rainbow effect should have been eliminated, although my wife would probably pay extra for it knowing her.

The buttons on the first leather cases were stiff, and you had to break them in before putting the case on the phone. I was a little disappointed to see that issue pop up again.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

WNYX

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2018

It’s pretty solid!

I'm considering stopping by Best Buy to pick up the Dynex case you recommended. Can you please tell me how the button feedback is? I want to make sure I'm not getting another case that has hard buttons. At this point, I think button feedback is my single most important feature I care about in a case, followed by whether or not the bottom of the case hurts my pinky while it's resting on it.

EDIT: Just bought the case in black/semi-clear and clear because I couldn't make up my mind. The buttons are very, very nice! Thanks for the recommendation, thadoggfather.

Last edited:
Reactions: thadoggfather