People on Ebay are selling itunes gift cards for %40 off?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gregdrummeraz, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

How do they sale so cheap?

they get positive feedback from everyone. I am thinking about buying a couple
    $200 cards for $110 each.

Has anyone done this? :)

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The seller probably gets just the codes from an inside source at apple, who then sells a big list of codes to the seller for a fraction of what they're selling them for.

3. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I once bought two ($50) and it didn't work so I asked for a refund but the seller sent me 4 more codes (All worth $50 & all worked) to try out, So I'm guessing they are either getting them illegally or and a very cheap price.

I got an extra $100:D

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

To sell them that cheap, they are stolen, or falsified. Apple doesn't cut prices that much. I would not trust them or the sellers.

If they are sending the "Codes" and not the cards, it is illegal, and they have hacked/stolen them.

5. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

What would happen if I bought some and sold them?

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

You'd lose a couple bucks then keep on living your life.

7. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I think it is likely they are real and that Apple does cut prices so much. An extremely large percentage of all gift cards go unsold so essentially Apple is selling a product and there is a possibility they will deliver so the cheaper the cards the more people buy them and the less use them.

8. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

But I can get them for 50 bucks? They sale for 140?

I know huh, It's not like Apple will loose money on selling cards so cheap. :rolleyes:

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Gift cards aren't "products" - they're a form of currency. Selling them for less than their predetermined denomination would result in a net loss.

It would be like selling $20 bills for just $10. Plus, no money is lost by not selling the cards, or by carrying a surplus, so there's no need to reduce the price to increase sales.

10. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Let me explain better. Apple sells you a $100 gift card. You give it to your 12 year old cousin who leaves it in a drawer and never uses it meaning Apple never had to "deliver" the product they sold you.

This is one of the reasons why gift cards have expiry dates.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I understand, but that possibility doesn't warrant selling the cards for less than their value (and certainly not 40% off).

Not in California. ;)

12. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

Would I get in legal trouble for selling these though?

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You could, yes. There's no way for you to know if these are legitimate codes or not.

14. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

The cards have no value until they are sold and activated, so if they were stolen from a store they're useless. Apple does give discounts if you buy cards in bulk though, maybe that's how they got them.

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

"Beware Greeks bearing gifts"

You have no idea if they are legal, and you could be accused of being an accessory or of receiving stolen goods.

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Costco sells 4-$15 cards for $56.99 and they're not doing time.

17. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

That means the store is covering $3.01 of the cost. Far different than 1/2 off :rolleyes:

18. calculus Guest

calculus

There is too much cynicism in this world. Apple, out of the goodness of their hearts, make a special range of iTunes gift cards that they give to the poor and homeless. They are then free to sell them on as they please, so it is your duty as an upright citizen to buy the ones you have seen on ebay.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything...

...oh wait.

19. kolax macrumors G3

It isn't as if you are buying them in a black market - you are buying them off eBay. You aren't doing anything illegal by buying something off eBay - if it is illegal, then it is eBay's responsibility to act upon that, not prosecute the buyer.

20. Mr$Whale macrumors member

Receiving stolen property:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receipt_of_stolen_property
    http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/criminal/charges/theft008.pdf

I know you might not live in New Jersey, but just to further the point. And notice that there doesn't necessarily need to be a dollar amount attached to an item. If you are questioning it this much, then you are obviously unsure of it's legality and thus can be considered knowledgeably receiving stolen goods. And who knows if the cards are real/fake/expired/non working. Maybe they were reported stolen and Apple is now on the look out for the codes, and thus when they're entered into iTunes...bam.

21. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

They could be bought by using stolen credit cards. It is happenning a lot on ebay.

22. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

What's their feedback rating (number wise, not percent)? If he doubled your order, something seems up.

23. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I used to work in retail and we had a gift certificate profit of 35%. A LOT of gift cards/certificates go unused. Why do you think everyone does them? It's an additional cost to get cards from manufacturers, but in the end it results in a gain. With that said, these are probably stolen or from an inside source as others have posted.

24. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Some sources also cite that they get them in bulk from companies that get them at a reduced rate for promotional use.

25. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Dunno, but they sure seem like good Xmas Presents, if the person doesnt mind no physical card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.