People owning 5s, what's opinion now had a while?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMister111, Sep 30, 2013.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

As above, what's opinion on 5s now the lucky people who have one have used it a while? I have a 5, and am still in 2 minds wether to sell my 5 and buy a 5s.

So what do the people who had a 5, bought a 5s think over it. It rally isn't much of an upgrade is it?

Appreciate people who have one and have used it, read on another forum, someone sent their 5s back within he 14 day period and went back to their 5. I also know that the power of the 5s won't be used by anything yet but anyway the 5 is powerful anyway

Thanks

2. c0LdFire, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

c0LdFire macrumors regular

I love it. That being said, I mainly got a 5S to hand my 5 down to the significant other. The 5 doesn't feel like an "old" phone when I hold them side by side. The A7 isn't really all that useful when no apps are updated to put it to better use yet.

I love TouchID though. It's gimmicky, but it saves time. I've always used a passcode, but even with NO passcode it feels faster to unlock my phone using TouchID then it would just sliding across.

Edit: ah yes, and the updated camera is awesome. A lot of people are saying it's not a huge upgrade, but I definitely notice the difference. Both normal lighting and low light look less 'fuzzy'. Outdoor shots can almost beat my point-and-shoot... almost. Okay, not even close still. But they're good!

3. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Based on the reviews on the net, the 5s is about 2 times faster than the 5, BUT ONLY ON PAPER.

Based on real life usability of that 2 times power, the 5s is just a tad faster.

Bottom line: not worth the upgrade, stick to the 5. (Unless you must have Touch ID or care for slo-mo)

I bought the gold iphone 5s. Didn't open it and decided to sell it because of the above information I found researching while I was waiting for my iphone 5s.

I am keeping my 5.

:)

4. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

A friend of mine upgraded to the 5S, and since my 5S is still on route, I played around with her 5S. I didn't notice a huge difference between the 5S and the 5, however I love the touch ID feature as well as the dual flash on the camera. As for speed I found it to be a bit faster.

In my honest opinion, I don't see the 5S as huge upgrade from the 5, other then a few key features. I myself would've waited until the iPhone 6, however I wanted the touch ID sensor.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I wouldn't spend a ton of money on the upgrade, but it's a nice one.

I agree that TouchID is great and ultimately simpler than even pressing the home button and swiping to unlock even without a passcode.

The new camera is great - again a major generational improvement both in low light and for action shots with burst mode. I've already gotten a number of shots of my kids that usually would have come out blurry on the 5.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

The 5s really is noticeably faster than the 5, though the 5 was by no means a slow phone (you notice it most easily on busy web pages). I love the Touch ID since I use my phone a ton during the day. The camera is noticeable, NOTICEABLY better, and the slow-mo is a lot of fun.

Heck, for me it was worth it for the security/convenience upgrade.

7. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

how da heck is it noticeable faster than 5? if u had played with the 2 side by side, the difference is very little to none.

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

The camera and touchiD are what pulling me in, also I sent eh gold in store and was impressed. I've ordered but can cancel obviously. Also I'm thinking selling my 5, I'll get new warranty also.

Is the battery better? It's a small increase in capacity but is it better than the 5. Not sure if it's physiological but since iOS 7, my 5 battery seems worse?

9. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

So far, the battery sucks. (with no Push/everything turned off)

Worth the $1040.00? not sure yet.

10. pk7 macrumors 6502

I agree, I came from a 4S but there was a small gap where I had already sold it and was using a 3GS for a week, before I got the 5s.

Naturally I'm impressed. I definitely agree with what you said about the camera. While the 5's camera was basically the 4S's with some software improvements for the A6, the 5s's camera is STUNNING. Colors just pop, and low light is no problem for the improved sensor.

Touch ID is very convenient, and the slo-mo and burst modes, while not something I use everyday, are cleverly implemented.

Battery sucked the first few charge cycles but after that, I now get at least 1 day's use. (~10 am - ~11 pm)

Loving my 5s.

11. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

The camera is much better to me. I took a photo last night... Pitch black... With my 5, it never really showed much but a dark blur... With my 5s, it was clear. I was amazed.. Couldn't take a decent dark photo with my 5.[​IMG].

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

The burst mode is an absolute game-changer for parents with kids. It's just brilliant. In many ways it embarrasses my Canon 5D MKIII in terms of functionality, and that's just sad! My 5D's buffer runs out way too quickly, even with a super-fast card.

Seriously, if Canon would advance the camera market like Apple does, I guarantee SLRs would not look and feel the way they do right now.

(Yes, I'm aware the Canon takes far superior images than the iPhone, but in terms of technology the iPhone is leagues ahead, and that's in a tiny device that fits in your pocket).

13. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

aite let's not get ahead ourself n compare an iphone to a dslr

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNtbOGTrsE

I have a 5C & 5S, and have compared with others... agree with the guy's results in the video.

For surfing/texting/emailing it's a wash.

5S wins for loading games/gaming, benchmarking, and photos where it shines with panoramas now and betters its low light performance.

Security goes to the 5S if you need it -- I don't -- as long as you're not one of the few who are having TouchID read failures.

15. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Where I am the phones come unlocked and they price the phone according to the plan you are contracted on, higher the plan cheaper the phone. On my plan the phone is the cheapest, although it is still is $70 more than last year on the same plain. But I sold my iPhone 5 32 for the equivalent of 500 USD. With the earlier recontract fee and what not I still made money.

So because this is the case I swap phones every year because it is economical to do so.

Having given the story behind why I swap every year:

I know the 5S is faster because it restarts super quick, the phone erases itself really quick too. Anyone notice the edge is no longer coated? The iPhone 5 angled edge was coated which led to scratches and flaking paint. If you have the space grey like I do, u will notice the edge is uncoated metal, at least they are paying attention to the problem.

The camera and flash is def better and also you can take pictures in quick succession esp without the flash. It is not a huge change but in my situation I find it to be sufficient.

16. j0nblayz macrumors member

j0nblayz

Personally not worth the upgrade if you have a 5. Performance wise, its almost identical. Camera wise its better, but 5 takes also amazing pics too. Slo-mo is fun, but not something I would be doing all the time. Finger scanner, its a cool feature and useful for people without simple passwords. People who use 4 digit codes, prob faster to punch in the digits. For me im so used to putting in my code, that I keep forgetting I have a scanner.

17. scaredpoet, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This is EXACTLY my situation (handing down the 5 to my significant other), and exactly how I feel as well. My main reason for upgrade was the better camera, and it doesn't disappoint. TouchID is neat, but right now I wouldn't say it's a must-have. I would like to see it used on other apps eventually.

I also know there are other features (64-bit processor, LTE-Advanced support) that are just kinda dying on the vine because the apps aren't there yet and AT&T or any US carrier isn't anywhere near deploying LTE-A. Hopefully that'll come before the next product cycle.

I love the phone, though I have to admit, if my S.O. wasn't clamoring to get rid of the 4S and get my 5, I might've waited another year, or until there were 64-bit apps and faster LTE coming.

EDIT: Re-checking my facts, apparently, the iPhone 5s does not have LTE-Advanced support. So much for that.

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

I agree. My hefty $3.5k camera should blow away my iPhone in terms of features. And it doesn't. So yes, aside from IQ, my SLR doesn't compare. :p