People paying in full - will you call your credit card company ahead of time?

kingneptune117

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
I keep reading people posting that if you are planning on paying in full for the iPhone X preorder, to call your credit card company and let them know to expect a large transaction. Is this really necessary? I'm not even sure when I would tell them to expect it, since I've heard mixed reports as to when Apple actually charges your card. Some people say it happens on the 27th when you place the preorder, others say it happens when it ships.

Thoughts?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
During ordering they usually only charge $1 to confirm the account is legit. That drops off in a few days and then the actual charge is when it ships.

So there is not much point in notifying the bank before ordering.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
I'm not even sure when I would tell them to expect it, since I've heard mixed reports as to when Apple actually charges your card. Some people say it happens on the 27th when you place the preorder, others say it happens when it ships.

Thoughts?
They place a charge on the card when you preorder to make sure that the funds are available. The charge is then removed until the phone ships. A lot of times of the phone ships on time you never see the charge removed, or they just don’t remove it.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
i am guessing some of these people have had issues with their bank declining or needing to verify purchases

why would you call them? The only time I ever call my cc company proactively is when I am traveling outside the US

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I won’t call them... I have AMEX Platinum with really high limits, they won’t have any problem with me using it buying a car, let alone an iPhone... of course as long as I can pay them in time lol
[doublepost=1508861582][/doublepost]
i am guessing some of these people have had issues with their bank declining or needing to verify purchases
You can call them after the decline and still get it in time