People publishes all 535 Congressional phone numbers, asks readers to push anti-gun agenda

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Oct 8, 2015.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://theweek.com/speedreads/58182...tm_source=plus.google.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Shared by Guy Kawasaki on G+

I find it kinda sad that People is the 10th most circulated magazine, anyway I'm sure Facebook and Twitter with blow up with this.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That is sad, although I wouldn't have been surprised if the circulation was even bigger, but at least they are using that circulation to push people to do something good.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Feel sorry for their secretaries, as those are just their office numbers in DC. Personal cell and home numbers would be impressive.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Pretend Congresswoman (and noted tax cheat) Eleanor Holmes Norton is going feel dissed.

6. citizenzen, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Is this the new Chik-Fil-A, where a private business ventures into the political realm?

Let's just look back at our opinions on that issue and apply them consistently to People.

Save us all a little time.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Congress can start either by passing sensible gun control or by removing its hypocrisy in banning private citizens from carrying guns into the Capital. After all, if the right to arms is absolute, then why is the Capital exempted?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because right wing gun nuts mostly just stay home in the countryside.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

I read People 3 times and it was in the doctor's waiting room with a TV guide and Sports Illustrated. That was some 10 years ago.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

People Magazine is the National Geographic of the beauty parlor set.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

**** People Magazine.

12. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

It's the left wing loonies the ones you need to worry about :p

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Let's compare and contrast.

Left wing loonies whine about microaggressions and cultural appropriation while defining new ways to be offended on Tumblr. Check your privilege.

The right wing loonies break out the guns, go all revolutionary over some cows, and think the guy in the White House chowing down on a pork sandwich is a Muslim extremist.

Both are scary, but one is a little more immediately so.

14. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Good job People magazine. It is time for these clowns in Congress to start listening to the voices of the people they're supposed to be representing, not just rubbing shoulders with lobbyists and big money donors. I would go further and publish not only their office numbers but their cell numbers, home addresses, social media accounts and event schedules. No where to run, no where to hide.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, how dare they encourage their readers to participate in our government.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I see your point.

Nevertheless, I can't say I'm sorry to see People get behind this issue, because we're not going to change this in Washington. At least, not in the immediate future. First we need a cultural shift in how we think about guns. We need to make them unpopular, the way we made smoking and drunk driving unpopular.

Sure, there are organizations. But can you name the last thing the Brady group did that had the reach of People magazine? For all my sympathy towards her, when was the last time you saw Gabby Giffords reach so many people?

Maybe it shouldn't be done through private businesses. But if not, then we should start getting churches, doctors, cops and others to start banging the drums against gun ownership...loudly and consistently.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

That's actually a good point.
    I just don't agree with the agenda they are trying to push.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I sympathize with the message that People is sending, I don't think it's a wise move for businesses to enter the political realm—unless that is the market they're trying to occupy. It just doesn't make sense to me to alienate a good segment of your customers. Whether we're talking chicken sandwiches or celebrity magazines, you want the widest customer base that you can get in order to bring in the most revenue. Participating in a divisive political debate is an unnecessary risk when it has little if anything to do with the product that you put out.

19. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

They are still in be the 1980's! Maybe producing their email,addresses or Twitter accounts because that would at least looked like the 21st Century! ;)

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agree in principle - but that horse has long bolted.

May as well play them at their own game.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

People still buy magazines? I thought that died like 12 years ago.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I predict Time Magazine's 2015 Person of the Year: The Gun.

Only shock value can keep a magazine relevent.

23. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

I still get Linux Voice, Linux Format, JP, Foreign Affairs, and a few others.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Linux format actually looks pretty good, going to see if they have an app.

25. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

It's 60 a year for digital only, it's from the same folks as Mac Format but it's more in-depth.