People talk about the “ecosystem” that keeps them with Apple. What about third party apps?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Farrgazer, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Farrgazer macrumors member

I often come across posts about how things like iMessage or other aspects of MacOS/iOS/etc. keep users on Apple platforms.

What about third party apps? Granted, I imagine the list of Mac-exclusive third party apps is much shorter than the list of Windows-exclusive apps (possibly even after removing games).

2. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Procreate and Notability keep me in iOS. That is why I keep capitulating with iPads. I do not use iMessage enough to miss it.

3. Tech198 macrumors G5

I think if you gotta talk about third party apps that keep you on Apple, them, the list is probably short... tird party apps are also for Android as well. so it makes mire sense talking about Macos specific apps because for whatever reason to some, they look better, and its only on iOS that keeps them there.

The only third party apps are Dropbox ad Lastpass I use, which i could also go on Android...I'm not including them as the reason i'm with Apple, because even I know that is not true. It just happens i got an iPhone first..

4. XtremeArtists macrumors member

XtremeArtists

Some Adobe programs run better on Macs because Adobe can write the software for complete computer systems instead of Windows PC that are just components.

5. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Which ones in particular? I know the lack of Nvidia chips in several Macs surely can't be helping some of them.

6. The_Interloper macrumors regular

The_Interloper

7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Not this third party app: ProRes Encoding Now Available on Windows via Adobe Software

8. Farrgazer thread starter macrumors member

Oh, definitely. But depending on your workflow, certain apps can really boost your efficiency.

For me, DEVONthink Pro Office has become my sole reason for using a Mac professionally and also personally to some extent. It’s come to the point where if I can have only one Apple device, it will be a Mac of some form rather than an iPhone.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's counter to what I've heard and experienced. What apps specifically?

10. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

There really aren't any 3rd party apps which keep me with Apple. Hence I stopped buying Macs. There are a few smaller apps I wish were on Windows. But not enough to eat the Apple Tax. The only reason I have fairly modern Macs is I get them for free. I'll screw around with the OS some but go back to my faster Windows computers loaded with all the software I use. The bigger problem was finding Mac alternatives to Windows exclusives or the Mac versions being garbage. I couldn't say if that is the case anymore.

iOS is another matter. In relation to third party apps. No, there are no killer iOS exclusives I use. Everything I have use for is on Android and iOS. It's just the OS I prefer for many reasons.

I'd say Adobe Photoshop 3.0 works far better on a Quadra running System 7 than a 486 running Windows 3.1. ;)

I think at one time it was better running Adobe products on Macs. As more Pros moved to Windows. Adobe was incentivized to put their products on par between platforms. Now because of CUDA. Some Adobe apps running under Windows, especially Premiere, smoke their Mac counterparts.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No question, especially since Adobe was exclusive to the Mac for a while, but now, the PC runs it better

12. XtremeArtists macrumors member

XtremeArtists