people that got the 8 gigs of ram what do you do with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groovdudeyo, Jan 30, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Complain about the price and obsess over page ins and outs. :D

2. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Amen! And research, from time to time. :)

3. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Use it to login to MR and make comments about how I really really need all 8 GB of RAM. :D

(to be clear, I only have 4 GB..that was a joke)

4. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

So basically theres no need? Because i just looked at the specs of call of duty 4 which is a very graphically intensive game and they recomend 2 gigs.

5. detz macrumors 65816

p0rn.

It's not for running one application, it's for people that need to run multiple ones or ones that require more ram(photoshop, cad, etc..)

6. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

For gaming!? No. You do not need 8 GBs of RAM for gaming.

7. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

So? They recommend 2 GB. If all you'll do is play CoD 4, get 2 GB. If you can afford it, go for 4 GB and futureproof your purchase. That much more RAM (8 GB) is not gonna magically make the game look like Jesus or anything.

8. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I think the reality is it's one of those "If you have to ask then you don't need it" kind of things.

8 GBs of ram is something you need when you start getting into high end video hell it might not even be enough when your in 4k.

Alternatively you could run windows vista in parallels.

9. stevemiller macrumors 68000

i can easily run my 4gb system to its knees with after effects. i'm certainly envious of the 8gb option on the 17" mbp.

10. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Omg thats funny! very well put! now tell that to the guy in the mac pro forum that wants to get a fully maxed out mac pro for fun.

11. lshaner macrumors regular

lshaner

I'll use it to do my job!

I am currently cramped in 4 GB, but with 8 GB I'll be able to carve my machine up this way using Virtual Box:

1 GB for Mac OS X doing e-Mail, Web Browsing, and of course iTunes!!!
    4 GB for Solaris running xVM Ops Center
    1 GB for Solaris guest being JumpStarted by xVM Ops Center
    1 GB for Redhat guest being KickStarted by xVM Ops Center
    1 GB for SuSe guest being KickStarted by xVM Ops Center

All within the same box... No need for a lab full of machines to develop and test what I need to do!

And when I'm not working, I'll use it with Logic Studio to produce music and videos -- I will not likely NEED that much memory, but it should allow my entire project and all the instrument samples and recordings to be buffered entirely within memory...which should improve response times during recording and playback. I have already come pretty close to using most of the 4 GB I have, and I'm only about 3/4ths of the way through some of my projects. So, yeah, 8 GB will give me headroom and I'm still ahead because I didn't need to buy a Mac Pro to get there.

12. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

If you have to ask what you need 8GB for then you don't need it.

The choice to purchase 8GB is one out of necessity and if you need it you know it, simple as that.

As you can see in my Signature I have a Desktop system with 8GB of RAM. I've had 8GB in it for almost a year I run a 64-bit version of Windows on this system. I work with large documents all the time, usually images within Photoshop but I've also been known to dabble in other various types of interactive media. I don't need 8GB for what I do, but I need more then 4. I would say about 6GB to 6.5GB is the amount I need (I rarely go over that amount in usage).

I often like to game and leave my Pro Apps open as I'm sure most other high-design app users are aware it can take a while to get stuff setup the way you want with all the documents you need to composite a scene so I like to leave my Pro Apps open for as long as possible and when I take a break to game I don't want to close all those windows and start over an hour later.

Now, I suppose this topic is aimed at the new Unibody 17" MacBook Pro as it just recently came out with 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM as a Build To Order option. My personal view on this is 8GB on a MacBook Pro is a bit stupid as the Processor is quite slow (Not a Quad for starters) and many of the apps that you would use (even combined) that would approach 8GB of usage would require some hefty CPU time that the notebook simply cannot provide. Basically if your utilising all 8GB or even close to that the system will be running so slow that it negates the usefulness of the RAM in the first place.

Now I'm not ruling out that you can make complete use of 8GB of RAM and have a system that isn't sluggish, that is possible but if your working with Motion, Final Cut or any of these sorts of apps your CPU time is going to be quite high if your working on projects that need 8GB of RAM. 4GB yes, 6GB probably but 8GB?... I've noticed some people in other threads talking about 100 tabs open in Safari as justification for 8GB of RAM and it just really makes me laugh. We are talking about notebooks that cant even play 1080p H.264 video without 40% CPU utilisation and that is even with some of the work being offloaded to a dedicated GPU.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Maybe its just me but if you're spending that kind of money on a maxed out desktop replacement, just get the desktop is what i say. For the price you can get a decent Mac Pro which is waay more bang for buck.

14. ayasin macrumors 6502

Most people who get that kind of ram use it for work or a very serious hobby (like photography or video production)...there's basically no other reason to have that much currently unless you're awash in cash and don't care about spending money (two things that rarely go together).

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Virtual machines! No more vista on 512MB ram!

16. eldy macrumors 6502

Get a SSD for the price of a single 4GB DDR3 module! :)

17. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

The only reason I'm contemplating more memory (I have 4gb now) is for video/audio/photo editing. For day to day use, and gaming... 4gb MAX should be sufficient.

I have 4gb in my gaming PC (Vista 64... no jokes... okay, one joke) and even with Vista resource hogging, and WoW running at complete max settings and resolution I have 100+ FPS everywhere I go. COD4 is similar, and so on and so on.

18. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:HD video editing tons of HD photos. I would order the 4gig and upgrade in a few months when the price drops by half easy!:apple: Leopard cant handle more than 6 last time I heard.:confused:

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Leopard can handle 32GBs of RAM...probably more. Penryn Classic MBPs can't handle more than 6GB

20. sdp macrumors member

How does more RAM help video editing (assuming you mean FCP)? Isn't it more processor intensive?

21. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

22. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

When I tend to edit video's I start to chop the hell out of the original clips so it's tons and tons and tons of chained together pieces which is going to be put into RAM if possible, at least from my understanding.

Most of my editing is either done in HD lately (720p HD cam) and I tear apart the video pieces of all the little things.

For example: A while back I filmed a local paintball tourney. I took continuous match footage, and then tore it apart into the highlights for each game so it ended up with a few hundred chops in there.

I may be wrong, but I've always been under the train of thought that these chopped of pieces are put into RAM before any HDD temp storage. The more RAM the less HDD storage of your chops.

Rendering, etc, yeah that's processor side... but I'm talking about the efficiancy of the editing process.

D.

23. FunkTechNician macrumors member

i was wondering this too. maybe ill just stick with just getting 4gb and if it feels to slow upgrade in a few months

24. speedy523 macrumors newbie

2nd that :)

That's the route im taking :D