People the speed increase you are seeing after 2.0.2 is because of the reboot.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard371, Aug 18, 2008.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

The only improvement I am hearing on all the forums is the iphone is snappier. This is because the Iphone reboots after the update. My iphone on 1.0.1 is very snappy and does not crash often because I reboot it every morning. The avg person probably has not rebooted recently and after the update they feel their iphone is snappier. Most of my friends don't even know how to reboot the iphone. I think Apple put out a real placebo here.

What I want to hear is " I live in the bay area and before the update my Iphone would switch from EDGE to 3G to EDGE to even no service at times. Now after the update I get 3g most of the time just like the rest of my 3g phones."

Come on Apple fix your 3g.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

How do you reboot your phone? Just a simple shut off n on or something else because I would like to know how to increase my "speed" in any way possible.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

QFT.

4. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thats my point!!!!

Hold down both buttons for 15 or to seconds until it shuts off. Then hit the top button to turn it on. If you don't see an Apple logo you didn't reboot.

5. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

When I do that I only get the slider on the screen to shut it off, is that the same?

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

have you ever read the iphone manual?

7. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I hate to say this, but Apple now is pretty much nothing more then a fancy version of Microsoft. All these rules, restrictions, bugs, and HAVING TO REBOOT? That is so.... Like Microsoft Windows dude! I'm so fricking glad my MacOS Leopard doesn't behave like this. I haven't rebooted my Macbook pro for like a month and I put it to sleep and even drain the battery all the way down and it still works snappy and flawless. C'mon Apple, get your iPhone to work like your computers do!

AND PLEASE do not ruin your computers. ;)

8. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

For me, the backup is much quicker with 2.0.2. That's certainly an improvement. As for the 3G network issue, you know that Apple and Infineon are working together for a sotfware fix now, which will probably be included in the next major update (read 2.1), right? The news has been all over the place for the last couple of days.

9. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

I haven't read it :eek:

I've had the device for a week, I did watch the video with the dude in the black sweater but I don't recall him saying anything about that. I did a google search for iPod reset as well and had not seen anything like Rich describes. I did have to do 2 resets due to crashes, and for that holding both buttons worked.

10. ribenaberrie macrumors member

Is there a manual in the box? I don't remember seeing one when I opened mine?! :eek:

11. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

12. mymacrumorse macrumors member

Need not be true

You restart your machine because you have processes running in ur machine and not all the processes are perfect and because of that you have memory leaks that cause these processes to access more CPU and eventually slows down the machine...

In iphone these processes does not run in the back ground and even if the 3rd party apps cause memory leaks its going to terminate when the apps terminate ... So this phone need not be snappier because of the restart...

Its just his practice to restart and he assumes that his phone is faster.

In Symbian OS phones when u close a app it sometimes run in the back ground and if you restart it then it terminates the apps...

But for the iphone it is not case....

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's a reboot. Hold both buttons to force it to turn off, hold just the sleep/wake to shut it down.

14. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

from all the stuff I've read about the iphone now, I am not sure a reboot is particularly all that helpful. it seems that apps do not run background processes so what would a reboot really accomplish?

15. wronski macrumors 6502