People who do not want to jailbreak their phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sergiuria, Oct 24, 2008.

1. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I have alway asked myself why some people refuse to jailbreak their phones. Can some enlighten me?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

AFAIK it voids the warranty, mainly Apple's warranty on the iPhone.

3. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Voids warranty,

Risk of something going wrong,

If phone dies before you have chance to restore to original firmware, Apple will refuse to repair it even if you offer to pay for the repair,

Jailbreaking only offers a few good apps, the rest are pretty useless...

Many more, but im sure i dont need to go on.

4. djcraze macrumors regular

Really?? Its voids the warranty!!?? It can't be traced.. Ive had Apple replace several of my jailbroken iPhones... I always restored the firmware before shipping them off though.. I mean, the risk of getting caught is like, slim to none!

-- edit --

@Hudzilla
    Ahh, great point. I had never though of that..

5. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Hmmm... i have had apple replace several of my jailbroken phones i think this answers your question, unless you are a seller of jailbroken phones then you must see my point.

I have never jailbroken any of my two iphones... 1st and 2nd gen versions...

6. Stepper macrumors regular

The problem with the phone might of been hardware based, how do you know the problem was cause due to jailbreaking?

I also don't know why so many people are "scared" to jailbreak their phones, if anything does go wrong then just restor to the original FW

7. StayAlive macrumors newbie

I have a couple of reasons. For one, I don't really like Cydia. Installer was much better. Another thing, much lot of the apps from Cydia are ad supported. The software made for jailbroken iPhones does not feel clean and look sleak and it doesn't match Apples quality or aesthetic.

8. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Hardware is as sensitive to being re-flashed a lot as it is to being dropped on the floor, you have to remember that firmware flashing is a processor intensive thing even if only for milliseconds this type of operation has the potential to short any of the tiny tiny components of any piece of electronics.

My point was that of all the ipods and iphones i have come into contact with none of the un-jailbroken devices have seemed to have an issue, my friends jailbroken ipod touch had issues with the display sleeping, etc that he only noticed after jailbreaking.

As for being scared, i jailbroke my ipod touch before i got an iphone, yes jailbreaking has come a long way but i still dont feel the need to jailbreak my iphone.

9. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

I simply don't jailbreak my iPhone for warranty issues.

I did have an iPod touch that I had jailbroken. Sold that on eBay once I bought the iPhone 3g :D

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I'm more surprised by the number of people who think jailbreaking is the solution to all of life's problems.

11. yode macrumors 6502

IF you aren't a complete dumbass, jailbreaking is the way to go and cannot "break" your phone. And as for restoring to normal, it makes it like it was out of the box, untraceable.

12. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I'm considering jailbreaking for basically three apps and one reason:
    * I want an app that will: let's me have wallpapers on my homescreen, have basic video & photo camera options and one that'll let me save cached videos.

The reason is, that I don't think Apple gives a damn about jailbreaking, only unlocking. Hence the reason that every 2.x firmware has been jailbroken relatively quickly, whilst unlocking is still not possible.

Anyone know what are the best Cydia/Installer apps for what I need?

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Uhm, because I don't want to?

I have Jailbroken phones for friends who were afraid to do it and were unfamiliar with the process, but wanted it done. I also unlocked my 1st Gen before selling it. But at this point, there's nothing offered via Cydia that I want on my iPhone. So, I don't jailbreak.

If someone wants to jailbreak their phone, fine, do it! Likewise if someone has a reason, any reason for not jailbreaking their phone, there's no reason why that should be questioned either.

14. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I wAs one of those people that was afraid to jailbreak. I was afraid something would go wrong or that there was nothing a jailbroken phone could do that I would want. Well I tookk the plunge a few weeks ago and am really enjoying my phone now!
    I got to the point that I was sick if the iphone basic theme and if just didn't look professional to me. Now I have a nice clean theme that Iike and even have my wallpaper monogrammed :)
    The other things I find really useful are the tethering, intelliscreen and additional tweaks. I now feel as if my phone can compete with a blackberry on professionalism and functionality.
    Now while I haven't had any problems with my phone, I do have the financial capabilities to purchase another should the worse ever happen where I couldn't restore so that is not even a risk factor for me. For those that could not Afford to replace the phone of something happened I might understand the hesitation a bit more but for those that haven't jailbroken for any other reasons you just don't know what yours missing! :)

15. Doju macrumors 68000

It's buggy. I'm thinking of unjailbreaking soon as apps take longer to boot, and the performance is just more glitchy and beta-like overall. It's not as clean and snappy as unjailbroken, but there are nice apps.

16. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

+1

I'm too much of an iWussy to jailbreak my iphone, although I REALLY want to :eek:

17. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

It really isn't necessary to answer like that...I have jailbroken my phone, but do realize that it could be a problem (depending on the Apple employee that you get) if my phone breaks while it's jailbroken and I am unable to restore. Small chance, yes, but it is a chance. One that I'm willing to take, but certainly understand people not willing/wanting to do that.

18. The Governor macrumors regular

as for video recording....cyorder. For wallpapers/etc in background....there is a bunch of different themes you can dl and put any background you want. If you don't like what they offer, you can SSH it and make whatever you want.

while I agree with you for the most part that most apps are essentially worthless....but fun. Except for tethering option. The main reason why I jailbroke mine, everything else was/is just an added bonus

19. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

A couple of great apps are:
    -Cycorder: It's a real time compressing video camera

-Snapture: Adds features to the camera

-Nes: Which you can use to play NEs games, such as, Super Mario Bros!

-Winterboard: Which is the one where you change all the themes

-BossPrefs: Which add lots of settings

-PDANet: IMPORTANT!!! It allows your computer, to connect wirelessly to the Iphones data plan. It's internet wherever you go!!! :D

-MxTube: You can download Youtube videos

-Backgrounder: You hold the home button, and you can run any app on the background. For example, I'm playing Real Soccer 2009, and get a text message, I just hold the home button, and can get back to the middle of the game afterwards :D

And there are many more great apps, you just have to look.;)

20. Psyxologos macrumors regular

I do not see a reason why I should. That is all.

21. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

That's a classy response.

I don't jailbreak because I see no real reason to. I don't care to customize my homescreen and the apps I currently have are more than adequate for my needs.

22. calculus Guest

calculus

I have alway asked myself why some people jailbreak their phones. Can some enlighten me?

23. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I personally don't see anything on a jailbroken phone that interests me enough to do it. The only thing I would want would be MMS and its not that big of deal that I don't have it so, no jailbreak for me. I like my phone just the way it is...

24. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Well, I love that I have extra features on my camera, I can video record, I can play NEs games. I can use the internet on my phone, to connect my laptop anywhere, and totally better now that it is 3G speed

25. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

The primary reason I'd like to jailbreak would be the ability add apps into folders. That apple only gives you the ability to create pages to organize is lame. There are a few other things that I'd like to do, like be able to customize the background, have the spring folders, put five items into the taskbar, replace info on the top bar with weather info, etc, add video camera capability, BUT...

those things take time to do, potentially slow the phone down, cause unintended consequences, and of course the warranty issue if you're unable to restore for whatever unlikely reason. That said, I don't believe the pluses outweigh the negatives. So tempted as I am and have been, I'm not going to jailbreak my iPhone.

WM provides these capabilities out of the box and registry edits are much easier to do, not requiring SSH or copying and pasting code. One of the reasons I moved from WM to iPhone was to simplify things and not constantly be fiddling with and customizing the phone. While the stock iPhone has less capability than WM in numerous regards, I'm willing to live with it.