People who don't have a TV either "extremely liberal" or "extremely conservative"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Beric, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I found this article.
    Out There: People Who Live Without TV

Apparently Americans who don't have a TV are either "extremely liberal" or "extremely conservative".

I'm one of those 1-2% of people who doesn't have a TV. I'm also "extremely conservative".

Anyone else not have a TV and want to comment?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont have a tv. cant justify the time wasted or cost of service to enable the wasting of my time. i let the internet do that for me lol

i consider myself conservative but far from extremely conservative

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have TV sets, but do not watch them. I am very liberal. So is my wife, and she watches TV daily.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wonder which is the cause and which is the effect.

Do people who abstain from TV become extremely liberal/conservative, or are extreme liberals/conservatives attracted to the TV-less lifestyle?

5. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

My parents (whom naturally share my political views) decided when they got married, not to have a TV. It was also a religious issue, and a moral issue, as well as the belief TV is biased.

We get all our new from our newspaper (also very biased) and the web, where we pick and choose.

It was definitely my parents' political views that made them decide on no TV. I'm so satisfied with the outcome, if I get married someday, I also will choose not to have a TV.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a tv set. no cable/satellite hook up though. use it for some games rarely or dvds.

i'm considered rather liberal about most things

7. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Mine hasn't been on in ages. Economically Conservative and Socially Leaning Liberal.

Then again I just like to stick a NetFlix DVD up on my screen whenever I'm doing something :) Do watch a lot of movies but no video news, the format is just horrible.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am not sure how old you are, but it seems odd to me that you would say that you "naturally share political views" with your parents. My parents and I do not agree politically, and when I was a teenager, I naturally rebelled against many of their held political beliefs (we have since drifted closer - but disagree fundamentally). This seems natural to me, as they are two-generations removed from me (me mid 30s, them mid 70s) - and we have different contexts to inform our opinions/beliefs. Our family has always had a rule of any discussion but Politics or Religion at the dinner table. Curious...

I do not own a TV. I watch movies from time-to-time (rented or theater). I read the paper (NYT or WSJ) once a day. I surf the web. I have lived like that for about a decade.

Oh, I am a liberal on many things, but not as many as you'd think.