People who have switched or planning to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Feb 6, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

We are hearing about AT&T issues and people wanting to switch to Verizon.

Let's hear from people who have switched or are planning to switch to AT&T.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Well I switched from Verizon to AT&T back in Dec 2007 in order to buy an original iPhone.

I considered Verizon to be a mediocre carrier. At that time they had a terrible selection of phones, nothing anywhere close to the iPhone, and nothing that wasn't even a POC. Before I bought the iPhone I got a VZW phone that had a touch screen, some Windows OS, Wi-Fi, hardware keyboard, etc.. pretty much as full-featured a phone as they offered. It was practically unusable so I returned it and convinced my family to leave VZW en masse and move our family plan to AT&T.

The reason I was looking for a new phone in the first place was I was having problems with my Motorola Q that were partially phone-related and partially network-related. The issue, which I found out was fairly common on CDMA networks in general, was that I sometimes wouldn't receive texts when they were sent and would get them 30-60 minutes later, same with phone calls (which became voicemails). It has nothing to do with signal strength, I'd be sitting at my desk with my phone sitting next to me and a text would just appear late or a voicemail would pop up out of nowhere.

So I switched to AT&T and have had really no complaints with their service over the last 3 years. I have used my phone almost entirely on the Eastern seaboard however where their coverage is at its best.

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I switched to AT&T (known then as Cingular) from Sprint in 2002. Sure, AT&T has its issues, but not enough to bother me.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Been using AT&T [cingular] since 2004 and no issues here. Constant 5 bars each time I check it (near my house). AT&T is the best carrier in my area. The other carriers are good here too, but not as many bars as AT&T. Plus, AT&T is faster. 3Mb/s on AT&T while my friend on Verizon gets 1.5Mb/s.

5. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Same here. I'd say other carriers are good here however I get significant data speeds than my Verizon counterparts, no match.

6. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Here near Chicago....

Been with ATT long time (first cellular one, then cingular..) and the service is great. Over the past 2 years the 3G signal and data speeds have improved greatly. I'm very pleased with my service.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll be swtching from verizon back to ATT at the end of my contract this summer

Both ATT and vzw are good in my area and so I'll be going back to ATT

8. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Why are you going back to AT&T?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah. And why'd you go to Verizon in the first place?

10. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

I assume the issues in Chicago were fixed? From posters here from Chicago they said the 3G coverage wasn't good.

11. tec2030 macrumors newbie

I switched from Verizon to AT&T in 2008 for the iPhone 3G, and within a year of having the phone, i switched back to Verizon. Horrible customer service on the phone, unprofessional employees in the stores, and too many dropped calls to count. I'm very thankful for my new Verizon iPhone, hopefully it will treat me much better than my AT&T iPhone.

12. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

I was hoping this thread wouldn't go in the AT&T to Verizon direction but the topic Verizon to AT&T.

13. Chugbug macrumors newbie

I have verizon also and at the end of my contract......I'm waiting to see what impact the iphone has on verizons service before I decide on AT&T or Verizon. I like the unlimited data verizon is currently offering against AT&T tiered approach.....I hope AT&T rethinks their unlimited at least they would be competing. I'll wait until after the 10th maybe then we'll get a better idea if or how the iphone degrades verizons services before I make up my mind. Got a lot of reading to do in the mean time....coming from a dumb phone to a smart phone seems to be a hugh learning curve.....I am mainly interested in tethering and it seems that if you jailbreak the iphone you don't have to pay the additional fees for the tethering on either AT&T or Verizon. Currently have a USB data device at $50. a month for unlimited data for my laptop and desktop, so jailbreaking the iphone with unlimited data from Verizon appears to be the better way to go. But I also hear jailbreaking can be fatal for the iphone if not done correctly.......like I said more reading.

14. shadrap macrumors 6502

Same thing here. But it was iPhone 3gs

15. bas.o macrumors newbie

bas.o

Im still on vzw, I opened an ATT account on Jan 30. I left ATT last year in Oct for the droid x. Android os is nice, but Im too heavily invested in the Apple walled garden (macbook, mac mini, ipods galore, ipad) to stray too far. No complaints about VZW except getting horrible service visiting Chula Vista, CA, and generally slower dl speeds.
    I regret leaving ATT because I've lost my unlimited data. I tried the iphone 2g data loophole but my iphone 2g is giving me a sim card error, so I just got the 2gb data limit with a new iphone 4. Im already at 1gb in one week. Im gonna call att customer service round the 10th and ask nicely if they would give me unlimited data, since vzw's iphone will have unlimited data. If Im unsuccessful, Im gonna return the att iphone and get the vzw iphone (at retail price). I dunno, I just like having a sim card.
    :rolleyes:

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer GSM, its easier to swap phones, i.e., SIM card. Reception is the same as Verizon. I don't like how VZW loads on crapware on their phones and cannot uninstall it (at least on the android phones) and VZW tends to nickle and dime you to death.

I'm not anti-verizon, they're just a cell phone carrier and I look at which carrier offers me the best options to fit my needs. It seems at this point in time, AT&T is doing that.

17. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

As evidence that I simply just cannot decide which to go with, I will be in possession of both an AT&T and Verizon iPhone before the end of the week. I had an AT&T one last summer but returned it when a bunch of Apple and AT&T problem culminated (antenna, HSUPA problems nationwide, etc). Since then, I've been rolling with a Droid X on Verizon... but I'm ready to go back to iPhone.

But I plan on getting them both to do a side by side comparison under a variety of conditions around my area. I figure that's really the only way to know which one I will like best!

18. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

been with AT&T since Cingular days.. sure, I get a dropped call once in a long time but I had Sprint and Verizon and you get dropped calls with them as well...

AT&T works very well down here in Fla, no complaints...

19. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

I've had Sprint since 2000 and ever since the iPhone has come out I've wanted one. Sprint has treated me great but they don't have the iPhone which is a huge problem for me. Seeing that AT&T and Verizon perform the same in my area I'll be chosing AT&T for three reasons: Voice and data at the same time, roll-over minutes, and the fact that when I travel out of the US I can just swap out a new sim card.

I will be waiting for iP5 though.