People who have the iPad 2...and people who have the original

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bacong, Mar 19, 2011.

?

Which iPad?

1. iPad 2

65 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. iPad

29 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Quick, probably stupid question here.

I want an iPad 2. I can afford it when I get paid next week. The problem is the availability. I would really rather not wait 4-5 weeks just for the iPad to ship. So my question is, should I opt to get the last generation iPad for $399? Is the iPad 2 that much better that it's worth waiting for?

Seems to me most of the upgrades in the 2 are physical. I mean I know the dual core is in the 2 but from my experience the original iPad was very very quick.

Also, do you think by next week the iPad 2 estimated shipping time will go down to a more manageable time frame?

2. jaimeastin macrumors regular

THe only reason I got mine was for the faster processing power... I figured garageband might need it... Other reason is apple will release an update and the other one might not be able to handle the changes... (Unlikely for at least 2 updates...)

If you just plan to email, browse, minor games, type docs and such, you will be fine. As of now, THERE IS NO REAL REASON TO UPGRADE. Since gargeband is quite not ready yet (DARN APPLE), I see no real difference in using this one compared to my girls original. The original, will still do a mighty fine job at what ever you throw at it. Web browsing caching is a little bothersome, but it is no deal breaker as we have had this problem for YEARS with these ios devices... Cameras are the biggest change of all... I still have not used mine and probably wont... But I guess I have way to many toys, i mean gadgets to do a job instead of letting Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none go at it.

If it is just because you do not want to wait, you will be disappointed by letting time decide for you... BUT If you have made a wise choice, they you will not be disappointed at all, and will feel great about getting the ipad one. You will see the the the 2 did nothing more than rape your pocket. now, the future release will be more of the one you will want. I will prob end here. I am not a crazed fan. I bought my 2 to be a 2 and it is failing at that now...

You can get accessories too!.

3. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

Yeah all I'd really use it for is sitting on the couch and browsing. A little netflix in bed, some apps, what not. Yeah, I think the original iPad is the best way to go.

4. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Can you explain what you mean? I have had garageband for a week. Do you mean that it still feels like a beta release?

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Don't buy a last generation product if a new one is already out.

You can thank me later.

7. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

Explain.

8. jaimeastin macrumors regular

Well I can understand not being able to fully edit your creations on the iPad, but the beauty of it was to finish your work on GarageBand on the Mac... Well apple never once said during the keynote or on the app store page that GarageBand for mac needs an update that is not available yet... So, why even create content on it unless it just for a really simple demo or a toy used for fun. I say this because you can't "yet" refine it on the real version for Mac. I want to finish my tracks on the mac and then export them to be used in a final stage in pro tools... So to answer your question on why I say it is not ready is because apple promised or led many people to believe that that feature was going to be available from day one. There is currently no timeline for the update to gb... No this is not iLife 11, but an update to that

Below is the link to a kb post by apple...
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4574

Other than that, I can wait for and update for the iPad app. The first run is good and makes me excited for the future.

9. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

The real question is what do you use it for? Do you want to utilize the facetime feature (something really big for my wife since she's really far from her family), do you want to edit movies and such with this device (if you have a MB or MBP I dunno why you would lol)? Do you care to have the latest and greatest?

If you answered yes, iPad 2. If not, iPad 1 is just fine. My wife and I both passed our original iPads down to family members who LOVE them and do everything they would ever want something like that to do.

10. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

I don't care about facetime at all. I have an iPod touch 4 that I could use if I wanted. I used it a few times when I got it and nothing since.

I'd be doing no video editing whatsoever. I have a fully functional PC that I love that I could do that on.

I basically want an iPad for leisurely media consumption. Safari on the couch, in bed, between rounds on Battlefield, Netflix in bed and what not. I wouldn't even play too many games on it. I mainly use my iPod for the internet.

I'm thinking the $349 refurb iPad is a good route. I mean the new iPads are gorgeous and I really would like a white one..if I can find one next week, I'll get a 2. Money isn't the issue at all...but if it's sold out everywhere and it's still a month+ for shipping, I'll get the old one. There's plenty of cases for the old one, too.

11. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I don't understand why ipad2 had been voted by such a large margin. How does Web browsing, netflix and some apps equate to ipad2 being the minimum requirement.:rolleyes: Buy one on craigs list for $200-350 and call it a day.:D Then you can do it again as people get iPad3 fever.:cool:

12. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

13. FPSMadPaul macrumors newbie

You won't regret it :)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

14. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I wouldn't get a 16Gb Wifi for $399... I got mine last month for $325.

15. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

it arrived yesterday...really getting to spend time with it today.