**** People Who Just bought A Macbook Pro (before 6-11) Say

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eddyisgreat, May 15, 2012.

1. Eddyisgreat, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

In theory this applies to almost any apple product (particularly the iPhone) , but in spite of the rumors I just wanted to add a little humor. Note i'm not saying that any of these are not legitimate reasons. Its just funny to see some of these come up from time to time when the revision rumors start swirilin.

1) Oh it's a new revision at least you got the one with all the bugs out.
    2) This one is fine the new one probably won't even be that much better
    3) You got a fine machine I got the same one so we're buddies and we both made the right decision
    4) That's ok the one that comes in 2 revisions will be the one that will REALLY be awesome. It just so happens to be the same one that I am going to pick up, so in reality, we're smarter. This next one will be crap.
    5) I heard there was gonna be a price increase on the new ones, so I got this model instead.
    6) I heard there was gonna be a price drop on the new ones, because they will have less comparable features.
    7) The next macbook will have less features so mine is actually a collectors item (i'm looking at you, 2008 Unibody macbook buyers)
    8) I heard it's going to come with mountain lion, but I want to be able to run lion and mountain lion, so I got this instead.
    9) It was a gift.
    10 ) I'm a hipster so I think the new ones will be too mainstream.
    11) #YOLO
    12) The new ones are always out of stock for a while; didn't feel like waiting.
    13) Based on the rumors i'm sure the resale value will be higher for my MBP than the new one.
    14) Retina? What a gimmick.
    15) I've never even seen a USB 3 device before.
    16) Yeah but why would I want two thunderbolt ports?

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Ive got to say that this was hilarious, +1 for adding some humor to the rumor mill. LOL

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I jsut got a 2008 unibody :(

Really, cant see much good in it. Battery cover is lopsided on mine, battery life sucks compared to new models, expresscard is dying to (but somewhat useful, I might add)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know a friend or two who will buy what I buy. They like to keep up or maybe it's just they don't want to appear like they're behind. Not sure exactly; they make it obvious, but they don't say anything.

What I like to do is buy it first day, show it off, and then I will see them buy the new model. Then I quietly return it and don't say anything.

Great fun every time.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

LOL @ 10-16, especially 11. I find that latest internet slang humorous.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I really like 8.

16 is a bit weird though, because really, why would you want two TB ports?

7. neilpryde23 macrumors regular

YOLO isn't just internet slang...it's how you're supposed to live your life

[​IMG]

8. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Hm. What the. My 2008 unibody was great, had no problems. Until the screen stopped working, but that was because of my metal thermos crashing on its lid from 1 metre above.

Completely unrelated to its quality, of course.

9. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Because while thunderbolt technically can daisy chain, many devices currently available do not have a second port to accommodate an "in" and an "out". So, an external drive, and an audio interface perhaps.

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Haha. Oops. My bad. :p

YOLO!

11. colour macrumors regular

and you havn't made a youtube video of this **** because ?
    I'm sure you want internet fame

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. Sirolway macrumors 6502

You Only Live Once?

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know what it means. It just sounds idiotic.

Also doesn't make sense for someone who just bought a out-dated MacBook Pro would say.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Exactly 15 days after you buy the current one :D

16. Eddyisgreat, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

Eddyisgreat thread starter macrumors 601

I wish I would've thought of it earlier in the year. I'm pretty sure I missed the boat.

Because why get 1 when (if the rumors are to be believed) you can get two for the same price. 16 illustrates the quintessential technique of jilted buyers who relentllessly try to downplay the importance/usefulness of the newer enhancements.
    This situation is well played on the iPhone forum whenever you see a model version hardware come out. Jilted iPhone 3G/4 owners who weren't yet due for an upgrade say things like "oh it's only twice as fast as the current model that's not even that much" haha.

I guess I could have prefaced it with "i didn't have time to wait" or something.

Every. Time.

17. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Really? Thunderbolt is the most useless crap apple has on their laptops..... It compatible with what? A handful of devices? Whereas USB 3 is compatible with pretty much everything. I'd much rather have USB3 than a thunderbolt port (which I will never use, btw, because peripherals cost another $1000)

18. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Most of the features being discussed are so far beyond my needs for a laptop that they're kind of inconsequential. Especially Thunderbolt--so far that lead balloon has yet to fly anywhere. It's great technology but hardly anyone is adopting it. I'm sure the single thunderbolt port of the current models will be more than capable of handling the singe exorbitantly-priced portable thunderbolt HD that's on the market right now.

I might hold out for a while to see what happens, but when I'm on the road my MBP needs are pretty basic so I don't think I'll miss much if I don't get the new one.

19. thundersteele macrumors 68030

"Many" is exactly one when I count it, the seagate mobile adapter. From the way thunderbolt is designed, I find it very unlikely that the next gen MBP will have two TB ports.

The more common problem that I'm aware of is that you can't plug a non-TB display into the TB-display's second TB port, you need another TB device in between.

20. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

How about: "I've got Firewire devices, need to connect to gigabit Ethernet, have DVDs to play, don't use Thunderbolt, display resolution is fine, it's fast enough, is thin enough, and I've got it now!"

21. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Exactly. To me, the "pro" line should have maximum connectivity, on-board optical drive, and reasonable backwards compatibility with a minimum of dongles required. Ditching an optical drive, dumping an Ethernet port, and switching out for a more expensive display that doesn't add much (at least I've never had a thought about the text rendering or icons being inadequate on any recent Mac I've owned) are decidedly non-Pro moves.

Now, if they could add things like a full-size ExpressCard slot, more battery life, etc. and make the thing thinner, then I would consider it progress. The news is really making it sound like they should just rename it the "MacBook Gamer."

22. Eddyisgreat thread starter macrumors 601

True. I have a few USB3 devices that I cannot maximize fully (although I do have a 17" Macbook Pro and could use a USB 3 card if I really needed to).

Keep in mind that thunderbolt is protocol agnostic, so it can also be used as a transport for USB 3 (and firewire, and network, and all else). See the thunderbolt display. I presume we're waiting on a chipset for the MBP that can actually handle USB 3, then it's off to the races.

23. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

The race to earn enough money to get a new macbook, you mean :)

24. Stetrain macrumors 68040

"Many" would also include any of the Mini-Displayport to VGA/DVI/HDMI adapters, which take up a whole Thunderbolt port but do not daisy chain.