People who post questions about buying a new Mac Pro, RAM, HD ETC.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thedirtyduo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. thedirtyduo macrumors member

The Mac Pro section of the forums has been full of people who say, "Convince me to buy a new Mac Pro." or "I finally made the purchase!" "Is $2799 worth it?" "Should I buy now?" & "Should I wait?" Or the people who can't decide between the $1500 model or the $1550 model.

1. People first check the "Buyer's Guide" at the top right hand of the screen.
    2. Search the forums for similar questions!
    3. Do your own research first.

And for those searching for RAM, HD, Displays. Search the dang forums first. It's getting old and out of hand.

M.R.

Maybe open a forum for question on what to buy, when to buy and where to buy!

Steam has been released.

2. Ear Whiskers, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Likewise, thanks to the OP.

4. big dainjerus macrumors regular

The buyer's guide is pretty pointless since there IS NO HUMAN FEEDBACK. And a search won't do much considering these machines just came out.

What kind of threads would you like to see?

5. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

gosh cant you just help me pick between the glossy and matte screen?:confused:

haha j/k j/k:p
    all forums are like this seriously. im new hear and i already see it. same at bimmerforums.com and physicsforums.com
    fyi just got a mbp with a glossy and its sex

6. Ear Whiskers, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. big dainjerus macrumors regular

yeah I mean, who needs books when we have apple :rolleyes:

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yeah, what the hell was that about, anyway? christ, anymore, it's a relief to get away from a flickering screen for a while....

9. jasone6 macrumors member

Sub-Categories within Mac Pro Forums?

I'm a total noob in this forum, so feel free to rip this idea to shreds:

Sub-categories within this Mac Pro forum might help this problem -- especially given all the noobs (such as myself) who have probably just arrived here due to the arrival of new MPs (and who are loaded with questions).

Just a few categories might do it (e.g.):
    • Video Cards -- Specs, Recommendations, Comparisons and Compatibility
    • Hard Drives -- (same)
    • RAM -- Where to Buy, Compatibility, etc.
    • Desks and Non-Tech Accessories

Just a thought from a lowly noob. As I said -- flame away.

10. kcdude macrumors regular

+1

11. babboxy macrumors member

I've bought my mac pro today so now I'm done with forums.
    books, here I come!!!! (sorry steve, maybe it's because I'm still a pc guy... my mac hasn't arrived yet)

12. FastMan macrumors member

As a fellow noob to mac, and specifically the new mac pro I just ordered. I'd love to see it. Somehow searching the site for old info, on the old rig, that might not apply to the new rig I just ordered just doesn't make much sense.

13. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

although what you're saying doesn't sound like a bad idea, i think it's really only a problem right after a major release, especially one that's been waited for as long as this one.....

14. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Good luck with this idea. I really like it and think it's a good idea.

The only downside is that almost everyone will tell you to sit down and shut up and never utter another word about it. I've mentioned things like this in the past, among other ideas, but as humans we'd rather moan and groan then listen to reason.

Great idea though.

~Crawn

15. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I would like to see a new forum structure as well.

I would have to add an *All Topics* to that list at the top so you could go in it and see everything just like it is now.
    Also, would it be possible to have some sort of tagging feature? So say you start a thread in the mac pro & power mac section, you could tag it with any of the above topics. That way you could add a browse type page where you could click forum topics say: imac, mac pro, for your device/computer and then add the following tags "hard drive" and it pulls up everything that fits in those categories. Of course all this just depends on what they can customize in the forums.

I don't think there is anything wrong with more organization as long as you give the option to view all topics under each one.

16. jasone6 macrumors member

agreed.

that would be cool... much like blogs are organized.

I couldn't agree more. More categorization is clearly a useful idea, but the ultimate success/acceptance would hinge on whether or not people could choose to ignore that "structure" if they wanted.

17. thedirtyduo thread starter macrumors member

Do you guys know what the best power cord is for my MacPro?

It would be like introducing Google or Skype all over again! :)

What I mean is that it would be a blessing.

People are being to damn meticulous about heat, noise, speed, color & power sometimes.

The time you spend and waste on this forum deciding if you should buy 2.8 or 3.0 adds up to way more than time you'll save in processing. People, who are meticulous about which Mac gets hotter cracks me up. Why are you using it as a wall heater? Once you open your MacPro, being that you use it for the "Pro" applications, and you'll never notice the slight difference in noise, heat or speed. My Dual Core still works top notch with Final Cut Studio 2, LiveType and Motion open all at the same time on 6 gigs of RAM. If you can afford the biggest than buy the biggest, you'll never regret that you didn't settle for less.

Another solution is to not answer those questions, but point them to where there question has been asked before.

This is so much fun. I love MacRumors
    :D

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

There is no doubt that threads like this are even more worthless.

19. Toups macrumors regular

Does anyone use the search function anymore?

Moderators, can someone flag or close this thread?

20. jasone6 macrumors member

Haha! :rolleyes:

21. big dainjerus macrumors regular

Hmm maybe because people want to know exactly what they are spending their THOUSANDS of dollars on. Maybe those who make music are concerned with how loud these computers get because, by golly, sound fu*ks up recordings. And heat isn't exactly good for a computer. And when you make a living making music or whatever it is you do on a mac, it IS very important. Do you not ask questions when you think about what car to get? Go back to macworldsanfran and help clean up or something.

22. deathshrub macrumors 6502

thank you for your wise words of wisdom, forum president

23. thedirtyduo thread starter macrumors member

:) :(

Yes, I agree people should not buy before they try or research. But that is not why this topic was started. We are tired of people asking simple, repetitive, gratuitous questions. Second, look at the people who are asking the questions. They are all "newbies" with little or no post. This equals people coming here and asking people to give everything and give nothing back. It's like you sir going up to Tim Draper and asking how to start a "start up" company or a venture capital company. He'll laugh and tell you to come back when you have "an idea".

These people don't even have an idea or do any research of there own. They google and find MacRumors, open an account and want answers. I'm just saying, we are tired of people asking the same questions over and over about "WHERE TO BUY RAM", "I FINALLY MADE THE PLUNGE."

Any other thoughts out there for or against?

24. big dainjerus macrumors regular

It is not at all like me going up to Tim Draper. This is a freakin online forum called macrumors, last time I checked Steve Jobs wasn't hanging around on here. Is it really a bad thing that someone found this place by googling it, and needs some help to find answers, and unfortunately does not have the macknowledge to give much in return? Isn't that what the internet is for? Some cats just need help, or just dropped 3 g's and would like some moral support. Maybe just ignore the newbie posts? If you are looking for a real community to forge friendships in go to starbucks, or macworld.

Does this place really have that kind of elitist attitude, or is that trait universal in true macstrodinaires such as yourself?

25. Random Chaos macrumors member

While there are some people that are asking the same question over and over again (even ones they themselves recently asked!) I don't really see the point of this thread taking up space.

I also object to your classifying everyone that carries a "newbie" tag as being a newbie. I just joined Mac Rumors forums two days ago. I have been reading Mac Rumors for 2 years and the forums for several months. I'm a system admin running a network of about 11 Macs (5 with Parallels), 4 Windows boxes, and a Linux box and have been running it for about 1.5 years and have been working on it for about 2.5 years. The macs include a Leopard Server; it used to include a Tiger server. I also was a student system admin back in High School on Mac Classics and the first gen PPC processors through OS7 for about 2 years, helping keep about a hundred macs up and running on a day to day basis. To classify anyone that has a "newbie" tag as a newbie is about as ludicrous as I've ever seen.

As for posts like "WHERE TO BUY RAM" the frank thing is most people can't find the ram to buy. MacSales/OWC "carries" it, but they haven't actually gotten it in stock yet. As for the manufacturers, Crucial has the microchips, but they haven't ramped up production of the actual DIMMS so they aren't selling anything yet. Kingston is selling, but at a ridiculous price. Transcend Memory isn't even mentioning the new Mac Pro in their search system yet. And Hyundai/Hynix (Apple's supplier), they don't sell direct to consumers and no one seems to have their memory. Even their own website doesn't list the 4GB DIMMs as being produced yet, though we know Apple is selling them. People have a right to be confused about this.