People who preordered black, are you switching to white?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redb4n, Sep 20, 2012.

?

You preordered a black iPhone and heard about this scuffing issue, are you switching?

Poll closed Sep 27, 2012.
  1. I'm keeping my black iPhone

166 vote(s)
    62.6%
  2. I'm going to exchange my black iPhone for a white one ASAP

31 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. I'm going to see if the scuffing really is that bad first, then I will decide

68 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. redb4n macrumors member

After all this scuffing nonsense, one has to wonder, are you staying black, or switching to white with everyone else?

Remember, once you go black you're not supposed to go back! :p

2. rhuntington3 macrumors newbie

3. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I'll figure it out once its in my hands. It's a possibility.

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Unless the black comes off and shows silver underneath.

To be honest, I've had second thoughts, but can't decide until I have it hand.

5. mateo124 macrumors regular

I'm a little worried about the scuffing but after seeing how bad the silver and white go together on the white version, I think I'll just keep the black. Unless of course it scuffs really easily

6. redb4n thread starter macrumors member

Me neither, I was really concerned about it but then I realized something: This is an iPhone, who cares what it looks like? It have the full function of an iPhone 5, despite whether it looks worn and torn or not.

7. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I like the white, but not too keen on the silver & white combo. I ordered the black/slate. Switching has crossed my mind, but I think I'm keeping black. Just looks too good.

8. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

well, I am putting mine in a case with some rubber films on the front back and sides, I want to make sure it won't scratch (even a little bit, it would drive me and my OCD up the wall), if it does even with this, then i will probably get a white one if the black scratches in the 30 days

9. rtr1985 macrumors 6502

Switching. I don't care if the phone can get scratched. I do care if the finish starts wearing off in a matter of days.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No desire to switch, I'm please with my choice and cannot wait until it arrives.

11. wookiee2cu macrumors member

staying with the black, going to pick up a case after work today so as soon as it gets out of the box it'll go right into the case. I have always had a case on every phone and I like them, not getting it because I'm paranoid about scuffing, I just like protecting my phones.

12. katai macrumors regular

I chose black first. Then hear about the scuff so I chose white. Now I'm final with picking black. But no more pre order because I want a 32gb now.

13. jamst149 macrumors member

I've considered it. Just not sure how it will work exactly. I mean I imagine I will want to take it out of the box and play with it and also I am currently without service (using google voice and talkatone over wifi in the meantime on my iphone 4) so i will probably go ahead and activate it.

At that point I'm not quite sure I understand the logistics of how I would go about returning it to verizon and more importantly how soon I will be able to get a new one in my hands. I'm presuming it might be too much to ask to expect them to be able to replace it right then and there within the first two weeks of release?

To boot I am not a fan of cases. I was considering full body film protection because I have some scratches on my 4 and I am more then likely gonna try and sell the 5 a year from now on craigslist. Thus I want to minimize as much as I can any cosmetic defects to retain its resale value.

14. Kingspade360 macrumors newbie

oh my why does that back matter the screen is in the front plus who cares if it does that other time plus i bet most people are going to have a case covering the back anyways

15. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Sticking with black and wearing my scuff with pride

16. mkaen macrumors regular

Exactly. It's nonsense.

17. redb4n thread starter macrumors member

Everyone's concern is the sides wearing off, not the back. But yeah the point still applies.

18. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

19. Kingspade360 macrumors newbie

i really dont see why it matters the phone isnt going to stay mint condition forever unless you dont take it out of the box, its like people are more worried about scuffing up the side and it showing sliver than using the phone.

20. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Hell no, the black iPhone 5 is beautiful! Love the all black menacing look. Reminds me of a stealth bomber. I have a white iPhone 4S but the 5 in black looks sweet! :D

21. leenak macrumors 68020

22. danish1542 macrumors member

23. FzNk macrumors member

My iPhone 4's silver edges eventually started to "scuff" around the buttons and dock. Unless it's something that happens right away, I'm not to worried about it. If you don't want your phone to show it's age keep it in a case.

24. rain111 macrumors 6502a

rain111

I don't know, I always thought this time would ordered a White iPhone 5? but after seeing how bad it looks *to me at least* I decided to keep going with the black.

P.S. I prefer the white iPhone 4/4s.

25. JBTrio macrumors newbie

Whilst the scuff would not annoy me personally, it will be an issue when trying to sell my phone for it's highest value.

Debating swapping, however, I ordered from the Carphone Warehouse and am not entirely sure on what their policies are on the matter.