People Who Sold Their iPhones May Not Be Eligible For Subsidized Prices![UPDATED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D3lta, Jul 9, 2008.

1. D3lta macrumors 6502a

http://gizmodo.com/5023575/people-w...-be-eligible-for-subsidized-iphone-3g-upgrade

Gizmodo has updated their story with the correct info!

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I knew it. It didnt make any sense that ATT would allow that anyway.

3. saxamoophone macrumors regular

And the funny thing, the demand for the 1st generation iPhone has probably gone UP since the people "Jumped the Gun" and sold it!!!!!

4. w00tme macrumors member

haha... i wouldn't be surprised. i put my iphone sim into my razr after selling it. sure enough, on my online account page, it showed a razr as my current phone.

5. saxamoophone macrumors regular

Yeah, even at the 399/499 price, at&t was still paying apple another 200 dollars over the 2 year contract.

The *real* price of the first iPhone was probably around 599/699. Yes, it only cost apple 200 to *make* them, but they were expecting $200 more dollars of income after you bought it from the store.

By everyone shipping these things overseas, apple lost A LOT of expected income!

6. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Glad i didn't jump the gun... Sucks to be those who did. So wonder what the plans of these people are now??

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

good thing i bought an 8GB to hold me over for a month! i couldnt wait until July 11 without one. :D

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

There was a lot of wrong information about this on the net on various boards. People took speculations, opinions as facts and acted on it. What about those that borrowed iphones from friends just to activate it? Im sure they would have to pay the higher upgrade prices.

9. werkedm3 macrumors member

Can anyone else confirm this is not true? I sold mine the day before they announced 3G, and the OLAM says my line is still upgrade eligible. I think this report is garbage, they can't switch my status to not eligible just because I no longer have the phone.

10. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I just sold mine and am going without a phone for a couple of days. I am lucky, but my brother's online account still shows he is eligible and he is using another phone until the new one is out. I don't agree with this or believe it. I called AT&T on my wife's phone to get a warranty for her Sony Ericsson and the rep said "I show you are calling about a Blackberry Pearl". I had ordered a blackberry about 8 months ago to renew her contract and sell on eBay as she didn't need a new phone (I called yesterday).

So, based on this I think you actually need to have updated your IMEI number with AT&T or dropped the iPhone plan to remove eligiblility on the new phone. AT&T has never said you can't use the SIM in a another phone. I call B.S. on this. Stupid Gizmodo.

11. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Couldn't you just say that its broken or it was stolen?

12. Babiipiink macrumors member

I don't see why AT&T would treat their customers different just because a new iPhone is coming out. If any customer activates a line for a full discount for a two year contract with ANY wireless company, you sure enough are not going to get a full discount a year later just because an upgraded model of your phone came out. This is not a shocker to me.

13. And5555 macrumors member

I think it depends on what phone you have been using during this time. Maybe something like a RAZR or a Trio might be able to register differently with the network or something...

My *friend's* iPhone (cough) broke a month ago, he kept the iPhone data plan on his line, and used a $15 Wal-Mart pay-as-you-go phone with his SIM card. Other than the excrutiating difference, his upgrade eligibility online still shows "Upgrade Today" and that he is eligible for an upgrade.

14. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

This report is crap. I just checked my account and it shows that I am using the gophone and am upgrade eligible. If they change the rules then I will just put my sim in my wife's iPhone.

15. dannyar macrumors 6502

it is bs. i did this several days ago and have been using my razr and still shows me and my wife eligible. Its bs because they know you are gonna hand it down, they even advertise it. so who cares if you did it a week early?

16. D3lta thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just checked my AT&T account and it said I had a BlackBerry Pearl 8120 in use currently, so I took out the sim from my BlackBerry, and hit the 'Not my phone/device?' link and changed it to the iPhone, so now I have a picture of an iPhone.

I also just called AT&T customer service and asked if I was eligible for the $199/$299 pricing and she said yes. So I'm not so worried now.

I then asked if I need to bring in my original iPhone and show them that I have one and she said no, everything is in the computer.

So I'm just not gonna use any phone until Friday.

It also says this under my number in the Upgrade section of my online account. So I think I'm safe.

17. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

LOL, I was just going to tell everyone to change their little picture online if it makes them feel better. I wouldn't worry about it.

18. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Odd,
    I've been using an iPhone for 9 months, I just logged into my acct. and it shows the Nokia 6800 as my current phone and I'm still flagged as eligible for an upgrade. Clicking on the upgrade link lists me as eligible also.

Been using the Nokia for years as a 'non camera' phone for secure site visits. Guess since I phone hop so much they gave up :confused:

I'm not worried about it :p

19. skierdb526 macrumors regular

Ive called att over the past couple days. im using a blackjack, its on the site, but they know and can see i am a first gen iphone user. The guy i was connected to wrote that I was eligible for the upgrade at those prices and wrote that I was good to buy it. I dont see a problem.

20. justanothernerd macrumors member

This report is crap. Don't believe it

My story: I started service with AT&T in Sept 07 with the iPhone, so I never got a subsidy or anything. I sold my iPhone a few days before WWDC, and have since been ineligible, but I called them last week and told them I should be eligible for a subside since my account is in good standing and I have never received a discount. The CSR agreed and asked her manager to fill out a form to change my status; the form is being processed now and I just called to confirm that everything's ok, and the CSR just told me that my account should be good to go by the 11th. My status online says I'm ineligible, but every CSR I've talked to from AT&T has said I should be eligible.

If you're in the same boat as me, call AT&T ASAP and tell them that you should be eligible.

21. s0upb0ne macrumors member

22. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I'm going to say this article is FUD at best.

I sold my iPhone 30 days ago and been using a samsung phone while i wait for the new one.

My upgrade status when I had my iphone is the same as it is now (which btw did update to show i was using another phone)
    I'm eligible.

23. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Does that website reflect that you're elgible for an upgrade?

24. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This story is BS.

What happens when you break your iPhone and use another phone?

What happens if your iPhone gets stolen?

Doesn't matter. We are true iPhone owners.

25. macman4291 macrumors regular

Ok I am supposed to sell my iphone tonight, If I take the Sim Card out and dont put it in any other Phone, and just leave it on the table for a day...Will I be safe?