People who use DisplayPort for external monitor, can you try something for me? Troubleshooting issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaayyy, Jun 11, 2016.

1. aaayyy macrumors newbie

I've got a late 2013 rMBP, and I'm having a strange issue with my Thunderbolt/DisplayPort port. When I move the computer when my external is plugged in, my external disconnects and goes black. Basically, the DisplayPort cable seems to be getting moved around, and the same thing happens when I press down lightly on the DisplayPort plug when it's connected to my laptop.

Do others have this issue? When you move the DisplayPort plug up and down or move your laptop when it's plugged in, does it have this issue? I don't remember seeing this before and I don't know if it's my laptop or the cable or something else.

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

Sounds like the connector has an issue. Maybe the connection to the MB is failing or needs to be reflowed. I would take it in. Also, I would try to avoid putting any strain on the connector. Make sure you cable are not drooping down and putting strain on the connector. Don't move the device with the connector attached.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

No instability on mine.

Try with a different cable and try the same cable and monitor on a different computer to isolate where the issue is.