People with cream smart cover; help, is mine fake?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by felixen, May 31, 2011.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

I just bought a smart cover recently on eBay for cheap. It came in the same boxing as my first smart cover which I bought in a store. The quality seemed the same too until I spilled one small drop from a watermelon on it. Tried to rub it away when I noticed some brownish mark where I had rubbed the cover. I tried using a napkin with water on it then which only seemed to make it worse. Its like the painting of the leather really sucks and if it gets wet it stains.

Does this sound normal? My first cover was the blue plastic one, so I dunno if the leather ones act this way although I doubt it

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Can you post any pictures of the case and package?

[​IMG]
    (no offense, just trying to be humorous)

3. nkawal macrumors regular

Yes the leather ones are very soft sensitive leather. I too have the tan leather smart cover and while inspecting it my nose touched it and the oil from my nose left a dark spot. It didn't bother me as i had other plans to dye the tan/cream leather a darker color. It's now a dark rustic brown matching my SGP leather sticker on the back.

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

According to Apple.com

The leather Smart Cover is crafted from high-quality, naturally treated material that gets its color from a rich aniline dye. Some color may rub off during use.

6. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. taimur4u macrumors newbie

taimur4u

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I don't think it is fake.
    I too had bought the tan Smart Cover and I notices that it picks up hard-to-clean blemishes, all too easily(I'll post pics when I get home).
    I bought mine direct from the Apple website. I bought a black one instead, so that ***** doesn't show up.
    I'm gonna sell it to a friend, for the price of the polyurethane, no biggie. :)

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

10. felixen, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was £25 plus £10 for shipping. So quite cheap (like $56). He said he got his products directly from the manufacturer or something like that. Everything else seems legit compared to my first cover, but I am really surprised if a leather version stains this easily.

11. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Has it got 'Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China' in tiny, tiny print on the inside near the hinge? If not, it's a fake

12. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, it does. I checked that immediately when I unwrapped it. Quality of materials seem legit too (except for the leather staining way too easily of course)

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Sounds like a fake. Direct from the manufacturer would mean Apple and I doubt they're giving a discount to an eBay reseller. You should do a close inspection of the hinges and compare to the genuine to see if they're identical. I would think the hinge would be the hardest thing to duplicate.

14. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Did you goto the applestore and tell them it was a gift and what happened? I've seen them replace covers for other people. Yea you did'nt buy it from them and your blatently Lying about it BUT if it has the apple credentials on the inside you mite get lucky , the most the can say is NO

15. HazyCloud, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

My black polyurethane says that and it's clearly fake. Just because it says that, doesn't mean it isn't fake.

OP: You said that the packaging looked the same. Have you compared the stems on the Apple logo on the back package? I've got a fake one and one from Apple. My fake one's stem was actually skinnier than Apple's. I also noticed that in one of the 3 pics on the back, Apple's print on the email picture was slightly readable. My fake one is not. And lastly, the sticker on the back of mine said "iPad Smart Cover" whereas Apple's says "iPad Smart Cover Leather Black." It seems that Apple actually puts the model on the sticker. After comparing my 2 packages, the fake one would easily pass as real compared to Apple's if I didn't know better.

16. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, seems like you can get a lot of info from the box. Unfortunately I don't have the box for my first cover no more, so I cannot compare it :(

I did try and compare the hinges and couldn't see a difference, but maybe I should try and look more thoroughly.

17. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I went and used some leather cleanser and applied it wrong so I got these dark areas on the cover. My dad then took over and used the cleanser a few times to nearly get rid of the darker areas. They are still slightly visible though, and besides that the cream color is more white or gray now. So I really want to dye the cover. Preferably to a nice cream color :) is this possible, and if so what product should I use?

Thanks!

18. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

The thing is there are different kinds of leather, so I don't know what product I can use to dye my now white smart cover