Percentage of time you connect to an external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Nov 17, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Do you connect your notebook to a monitor?

If so what percentage of time are you connected to a monitor?

Is plugging/unplugging much of an inconvenience?

2. erch63 macrumors member

I have a new macbook. I spend all day using it at the office, I spend all day connected to a really nice Dell 24" monitor. It works pretty well. The plugging in is no big deal, as I have to plug in a usb hub, and power cord as well.

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Whenever I'm home, my MBP is connected to my monitor. I don't think I could live without it. And plugging/unplugging is no problem for me, since it generally only happens twice a day...

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

Probably 90% of the time.

Plugging in is no big deal at all. At work I have a display with the DVI-MiniDP adapter and at home I use a DP-MiniDP cable for my 30" display.

What sucks is that you can't run the MBP in clamshell mode on battery. It just won't come out of sleep even though there is no real technical limitation for that.

5. AbsurdGenius macrumors newbie

I have my 13" MBP plugged into my external display all of the time i'm at home, i only use it without when i take my laptop to college with me. It works really well the the external display, and plugging into it really isn't a problem that would put you off :D :apple:

6. Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

MBP to 30" ACD. Plugged in 85% of the time when in use. Not much of an issue really.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

90% of the time for me. I have a dell 2405 monitor which has served me well for several years and I typically keep my laptop on my desk for the majority of time.

8. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

MBP, 90% of the time hooked up to 23" ACD. It travels to the sofa occasionally. Rarely leaves the house due to our Blackbook fulfilling the road-warrior role. The Blackbook (no monitor) splits its time between my wife's office and the bedroom.

9. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

rarely up to a few days ago, but the purchase of a 32" HD made me break out me dvi > hdmi leash to give it a twirl lol
    it's funny how the built in gfx card will drive a 32" at 1920x1280 resolution but the max available on the MBP screen is only 1440x900 :(

10. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I have a job where I work from home and travel a lot.
    - If i'm at home, my MacBook Pro is connected to my external monitor about 90% of the time. I appreciate having a dedicated keyboard and mouse, and it feels like a desktop setup - plus I get two huge monitors, one of them being a huge Dell.
    - If I'm traveling, the laptop flies solo, and I'm connected to an external monitor pretty much never, unless you count when I have to give presentations and plug into a projector.

12. sriggles macrumors newbie

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My MacBook Pro is connected to an external monitor 97% of the time. My MacBook Air on the other hand has never been connected to an external monitor.

14. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

It's not much for me anymore. I'm using the portability more these days.

No not really especially if you keep it plugged in most of the time. If you are constantly plugging in and out throughout the day then it might be annoying but it's usually just twice a day. You unplug it once when you leave your desk and then the second time when you come back to your desk.

It also depends on your personality tolerance because some people find any kind of work inconvenient. I actually don't have much plugged into my computer to begin with so I never found the whole plugging and unplugging that inconvenient. All I have plugged in is my power cord, ethernet internet cable, and USB external mouse. Everything else I plug in when I use them.

15. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I've never plugged into an external because the best display I own is attached to my MBP :D.

16. sharkync macrumors regular

ZERO - providing you do not consider a large screen tv an external monitor.

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I use a Dell 3008WFP at home and a Samsung 24" at work. I only open the laptop when I sit in front of the TV to browse, etc.

Sleep is flakey for me when used with an external monitor and running in clamshell mode. Sometimes when I disconnect/reconnect with an external monitor and try to wake up the MBP it won't, or it'll wake up but not output any video. I have to force reboot it several times a week because of this. This problem finally went away with Snow Leopard, but has since reappeared in 10.6.1 and gotten worse with 10.6.2. Very annoying. I don't think it is a problem when not using clamshell mode.

18. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I used to keep my late-2006 MBP connected to an ACD23 most of the time. The machine was also connected to external FW800 drives, sometimes to eSATA drives, some USB hubs, and the odd speaker or mouse. Unplugging it from everything was less than convenient.

I have a Mac Pro for all that now, and my MBP is portalicious again.

19. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Almost 100% of the time after I got an iPhone. This is why I'm now waiting for my new 27" iMac to show up. I just don't need a laptop functioning as a desktop replacement.

20. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

My MacBook Pro is connected to my external display at least 98% of the time. I disconnect every once in a great while just to exercise the battery because disconnecting is a total PITA because of how my desk is built. I've also got something plugged into every port except the microphone and FW800 port (I only have FW400 devices). Its not a big deal though because I've got my Powerbooks for on-the-go use. I'd have gotten rid of the MBP and replaced it with a quad G5 if 10.6 had supported PPC.

21. bmstrong macrumors 6502

Great questions and thread! I'd ask one or two others:

If you are plugged in more than 50% of the time? Why not go a 15/17 Pro or an iMac?

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

<1% of the time, including projectors. Actually, I'm not sure if my MacBook has ever been connected to an external monitor within its 3+ year life.

23. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Who do you think wants to schlep a desktop Mac back and forth between work and home? Lots of people use their laptops that way.

24. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Until I finally bought one, it spent very little (if any) of its time connected to an external monitor. Now, whenever I'm at home, it's connected. No inconvenience at all, I just leave the connector unscrewed so plugging and unplugging is very quick.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Around 10-20% of the time.

BTW, OP, a poll would be nice since you can have an better overall idea.