Perception of Germany and/or Germans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by haddman, Sep 24, 2011.

1. haddman macrumors regular

Perception of Germany and/or Germans

I have been stationed in Germany. Here are a few reasons that I have found to hate Germany.
    1. Germany is a VERY repressive country. there is "free speech", but it is only a front. You can get in trouble for speaking out about almost anything that the government does.
    2. Not all, but most Germans that I have had the misfortune of meeting, are very cold people. They will avoid friendliness at all costs.
    3. Prices are high, and Germans will charge for everything. I can not call customer service for my internet connection or even my cell phone contract without paying at least a 1 Euro connection fee, and 19 Euro cents per minute.
    4. The weather sucks except for three weeks out of the year. Period…
    5. The autobahn is extremely difficult to navigate without a GPS system.
    6. The autobahn is constantly under repair, and the road crews are so lazy that it will take almost two years to repair a 10K stretch of road.
    7. Germans "know" better than you about any subject. Period…
    8. Germans do not understand the concept of privacy. The stereotypical nosy old woman, is an every day occurrence here.
    9. You have to pay to use the restroom in many public places, and it isn't cheap. I have even been refused the chance to use the restroom because I was two cents short.
    10. Germans will call the police on you for almost anything.
    11. When they do call the police, the police are allowed to take up to a 40 Euro bribe on the spot. Be prepared to pay off the police for anything. They will even drive you to the ATM to withdraw the money.
    12. There are miles of paperwork to go through to do anything in this country.
    13. Germans are paranoid of violence. Don't buy any violent movies or video games in this country or you will be sadly disappointed by all of the censorship.
    14. BMW's aren't as nice as you would think.
    15. Neither are Mercedes'.
    16. German's think fashion and music that went out of style 15 years ago isn the U.S. is still cool.
    17. David Hasselhoff is a terrible singer.
    18. German's are straight pus$$'s, you arrogant pricks love to talk trash, but when it comes to backing it up are quick to back down when faced with a good azz kicking.
    19. German women love to screw american G.I.'s especially african americans, and it pisses you racist pricks off with penis envy.
    20. German food sucks!
    21. I've never met a German that moved to the US who wanted to move back.

2. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I do feel sorry if you were stationed over here, it's not a pleasant existence. However, as a highly-educated well-paid professional American expat, I can only assure you that life is quite nice here. Especially with respect to mandatory 39-hour weeks and 35 days of vacation + 12 federal holidays.

Needing a GPS to drive on Autobahn? Are you serious, the country is smaller than Texas and if you can't memorize the geographic location of a few hundred cities used on the Autobahn signage, then you have bigger problems ...

I gotta agree with the paperwork issues though.

3. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

What's wrong with you? Germany is not at all like you portrait it.

I'm Norwegian, BTW.

4. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I've been to Berlin a few times on weekend Dance music festivals and they put on a hell of a party. They have not got the best sense of humour but everyone i met was friendly and the women are great looking. Maybe you're hostility is reciprocated because you know people treat you how you treat them. Just to point out some of the points you made apply to America also it's just maybe you don't want to admit it.

5. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I wish there was a separate thread for this as I bet it would be entertaining.

6. Grimsrud macrumors member

I agree, Germans are just awful to not bend over backward to kiss the behind of some arrogant American slob who's part of a useless, space wasting military force currently squatting in their country.

7. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Less than 50% of Germans own (i.e. have a mortgage) their main residence. The rental laws are strongly in favor of the tenant and the rental market is quite abundant and of reasonable quality, such that it makes no financial sense to own.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

Yes i dont buy a house, i live in a apparement for that very reason. I also wouldnt buy a car i cant afford no matter what amazing 0% bs rate u get without even reading the contract. But this is aaaaaaall so off topic so lets get bk to the iPhone

9. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

No 4 I believe. 3 before china became "successful"

10. ChristianJapan, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

There was a desire to discuss Germans over in another thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13400668&postcount=115 based on this comment:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13400394&postcount=93

To start with my own view (yes, I'm from Germany)

Maybe if you are in military; but normally we have no problems to discuss misbehavior of our government. They even blame themselves in their own coalition ;-). Quite entertaining.

Kind of true; take us some time to hug someone ... We like an initial distance but get closer when know each other.

agree, service mentality has room of improvement

sorry for the weather, next time we try to make to better. By the way, where I lived in south Germany it was not too bad. Lots sun in summer, nice snow in winter. Of course also grey rainy days.

Overall it's extreme easy to navigate with just a map and some common sense for directions. All exists are even numbered and announced miles ahead. There are some highway intersections which are not easy,agree. But if you concentrate a bit it's really easy.

Can't agree more. And we wonder since decades why in summer season all highways undergo construction while the families try to go to vacation. Plus we pay a hell of tax for it.

I think we are not alone with that, but what do I know ?

I suffered from that too once I lived in Berlin. In my house lived an old lady alone. She often came in night time and knocked my door for nothing. Disturbing ? Yes. But hey, she was above 90; and with a bit of tollerance you can manage that too. That goes back a bit to point 2.

But at least you can have a chance for a clean restroom. I could tell you stories about public restroom while traveling through US ... But I'm sure that violate many forum rules ...

It's easier in many cases, specially when dealing with drunken or aggressive neighbors.

It's not a bribe ... You could also pay later with more paperwork ... Call it simplification. At least you get a receipt.

Agree, we love paper.

Fine with it ... Now as I'm family father I like that my little one don't have easy access to violent stuff. There is enough violence in real life ...

Sorry, wrong. They are nice

Sorry, wrong. They are nice.

Agree, we are slow ...

I wonder too how he made it to Germany ...

We call the police in those cases ... ;)

No experience here ...

Partially ... But overall not too bad.

I moved to Japan and also have no need to return ... At this point in time. But not because I hate Germany. Just because my family is here.

11. ChristianJapan, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

You can come up with stereotypes like that about any country. it's stupid. OP, you didn't mention the holocaust, because to be completely honest with you, when germans or germany are mentioned here in the US, the first thing that comes to most peoples' mind is "nazis", whether they are jewish or not. That's a problem.

....oh and your language makes me want to throw up. :D

13. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ridiculous post. Close the thread. Who would ever feel the need to comment on some idiots stereotype views which apply to every country there is in this kind of way.
    Also, I'd be cautious talking about language. You Americans don't even speak English and listening to the average American saying 'like' about 10 times in a sentence is truly horrible.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

All I will says this.. My perceptions of Germany drastically changed in 2 ways: First, I met a friend of mine who is the closest I have to a little sister, and treats me like family; Her parents are from Germany; East Berlin, IIRC. I'm part Black, part Amer. Indian. In their time, racism was rampant, so for them to take me in as they have, when all I knew was from horror stories and books, that changed my perception.

Second, Wind of Change, by the Scorpions. If a song by a German band can break down the barrier between the East andWest like that, they can't be bad at all.

They've come a long way between the Iron Curtain and their own perestroika; and even a much longer way since then. Nothing but respect and admiration for what they've done in such a short period.

BL.

15. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

16. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

Thanks!
    The envy must be unbearable.

----------

Let's see...more vacation,but you have to live in an inferior country.Hmmm...I'll stay in America,thanks!

----------

Not so bad if you are one of the few.

17. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet you just stereotyped every American the same way. Hypocrisy at its best(worst). :rolleyes:

BL.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I now pronounce PRSI well and truly dead,it's been in a bad way for some time the BMV and this thread have killed it stone dead.

21. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

You seem like a kind of grumpy dude, in my experience grumpy people often see/find reasons to be pissed off no matter where they are.

While cheerful people can find something (or a-lot) to like just about anywhere.

Just my 2 cents...

22. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I find quite some parts of this quite ignorant, from both sides here.

I kinda find it strange how some americans think how free and democratic their country is.

The matter of fact is that in USA it's all about the money.

If you have rich parents you get a nice education. You need millions of dollars to get influence thru the political system, at least if you wanna get to the top.
    I read this article a few months back on illiteracy in certain areas of USA:
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/05/04/report-nearly-half-of-detroiters-cant-read/
    I cannot verify it's integrity tho, but the source is http://lincs.ed.gov/

It's really a shame how badly some of the poorer people in USA is treated with living condition which shouldn't be accepted in a rich country. And don't even start about how bad it is with healthcare.

Also the media in USA is sometimes telling outright lies, like fox news which had "proof" that the bombing and attacks in Norway a few months ago was the work of a muslim terrorist group.

I do believe that the life as a upper middle-class citizen is pretty good, but the difference between how people is treated is just a shame.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's the "I'm alright Jack"/"Shut-up, and don't rock the boat" syndrome. :(

24. wpotere Guest

Having lived in Germany for six years of my life and some of my very best friends are German I can say that this is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read!

Perhaps the OP should look at himself as the problem rather than blame Germans. Sure Germans are colder at first, but once you become friends with them you are friends for life and they are far from nosy. We Americans stuff our noses in everything!

Most of the GI's that I have met that feel this way think that Germany should bend to their ways rather than adapting to German life. They are the ones with the problem.

And German food rocks!