• 5" and over

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Even with the rumored larger size of 4" for the upcoming iPhone 5, I still feel like 4" is still too small for a smartphone. I prefer somewhere between 4.5" to 4.8". What do u guys think?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Even with the rumored larger size of 4" for the upcoming iPhone 5, I still feel like 4" is still too small for a smartphone. I prefer somewhere between 4.5" to 4.8". What do u guys think?
Your poll should have had an item: "half-assed 4" screen". That would differentiate Apple's (apparent) 4" screen from the rest of the full 4" screens on the market. Apple's 4" screen will still be too skinny, but taller. Hardly worth the bother IMHO.

Comment

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
4.3"... Had to be wider - not just elongated too.
4.3 16x10 ratio like all of the qhd android phones use would be ideal. I actually like the galaxy nexus's 4.65 (more like 4.3 when the softkeys are active) inch with the softkeys integrated into the screen the most. The screen ratio is closer to 16x10 when using non full screen apps and when watching video the soft keys disappear and the screen ratio is 16x9. It also has a very small bezel so its very easy to hold and reach the entire screen.

Comment

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
It's just my opinion and maybe it's because I own an iPad as well but I don't feel the need for a phone to be any larger than 4". That's if it's 4" done right. Most of the time I'm using my phone for quick searches or to check out an app,don't need an obnoxiously big phone screen for that.

Comment

voodoopenguin

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
3.5-4.3 for me.

Even if they kept the same form factor, but increased screen real estate, we'd get about 3.7". I think that the 3.7" screen would look "bigger" than the rumored tall 4" screen we're seeing.

Comment
It's a difficult one for Apple. A bigger screen does sacrifice usability aspects. My Samsung S3 is not really usable one handed while my 3GS most definitely is. I was expecting Apple to release a bigger screen with UI innovations (and patents) to resolve this kind of issue (maybe they will).

Comment

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
4.3"... Had to be wider - not just elongated too.
Agree 100%. Slightly wider would not hurt and imo would look much better than (speculated) taller new iPhone. However, I'm sure if Apple does indeed go with the 4 inch elongated look I'm sure it will grow on me an I'll be the first to line up. ;)

Comment

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
The ONLY reason increasing the size makes any sense is moving toward a 16:9 format since they are trying to be media-centric.

That being said, I don't use my iPhone for watching movies so the entire idea is useless to me. Wish they'd leave it as is. I miss the days when phones were small.

Last edited:
Comment

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
If it's going to be a 16:9 ratio screen then I would prefer 4.3". If Apple is going to keep the same 3:2 aspect ratio then 4" would be good. I've used some Android 4.3" 16:9 screen phones and they are very nice to use in regards to screen size.

The 16:9 ratio keeps the screen from becoming too wide in vertical orientation when it is enlarged but it does make the screen seem much bigger than the current iPhone. I wish Apple would've picked one or the other of the two I just mentioned. Only making the screen longer but not wider doesn't add much to the screen usability.

Comment

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
I'm hoping for roughly 4.5". That's what my Skyrocket is and I find it the perfect size for internet browsing and the extra room makes it easier to type. But, any significant difference (4.8+) would be too large to use one handed. Then again I have small hands.
If it is 4" or less, I won't even consider it. 6 years ago 3.5" was very large, but today it is incredibly small for a smart phone. I still don't understand people that say anything above 3.5" is unusable with one hand. I have small hands; as in the same size as my mother's hands, who is 5'2". I'm short. :eek:
I find 4.5" to be a great size but still usable with one hand.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.