Performa 6290CD and a newer Dell monitor...

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by scotty23, Aug 8, 2007.

1. scotty23 macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm trying to connect a MAC Performa 6290CD to a two year old Dell monitor. I already have an adapter for Mac to VGA monitor, but I get no image. Do I need other adapters for the keyboard and mouse as well?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Scott

2. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Do you know another mac user who has an old monitor? Your video card may be bad. Also It probably would be cheaper to just buy some older keyboard/mouse than to get an adapter.

3. scotty23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess it's also possible that the video card in the mac just doesn't sync up with the dell monitor, right? Don't they have to "talk" w/ drivers, etc.

4. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

No drivers should be needed. Does your adaper have jumpers? I would take it to the local mac geek place. Someone will have some old hardware and let you test it. As long as you don't mind going home with some guy from the store.

5. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

Some adapters work better than others, too. I have a Belkin adapter for my LC475 and Quadra 950 that works great with every monitor I've tried. An older RasterOps adapter I bought before that, however, worked only with the Q950 and a 15" Dell Trinitron monitor (no other combination cooperated.)

For the sake of reference, here's the Belkin one I have:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Belkin-Pro-Seri...ryZ80063QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

There are no drivers involved. It either works or it doesn't.

The better adapters have jumpers, dial, or some sort of switch that sets the resolution and frequency. Two things could be happening here... either your Dell display doesn't support the resolution/frequency being given to it, or the Performa doesn't support the resolution/frequency being asked of it. The adapter tells the computer what resolutions and frequencies are available. They're usually a hit or miss kind of thing, those adapters never really worked well, and you'd probably be better off not bothering with it as the 62xx machines are tremendous pieces of garbage anyway, as explained in horrifying detail here.