Performance of Base 2019 13” Pro

KPOM

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
How is the performance of the base 13” Pro for 2019? I’ve never had a quad-core Mac before. I don’t need the fastest machine, but do run Windows in a virtual machine on occasion (Quicken for Windows is still better than the Mac version). Do the 2 extra cores provide a noticeable boost for this use case?

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
Fast compared to the dual core, slow compared to the hex core.

I think the question you really need to ask is whether Quicken for Windows works well in a multithreaded environment, and assuming it does, does that also work in whatever Windows environment you're using.

You haven't mentioned anything about your current setup or how you would VM it so I don't think anyone can really give you a solid answer.

Here they say that it is multithreaded but you might be better off being concerned with RAM and SSD. The base 13" 1.4GHz model has a slower SSD than the 2.4GHz so you might consider the 2.4GHz. But if you're currently using a machine with a HDD installed, then even the 1.4GHz will be a substantial improvement.

RyawesomeU13

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
I'm responding from my 1.4, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd. My previous machine was a maxed out late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 (core i7, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd, Nvidia 750m), which is still going strong. This little 13" is a real beast. Comparing it to a hex core or whatever I suppose technically it's slower, but for 99% of people and the way they're probably using these systems, it's going to be ridiculously powerful and fast.

Howard2k is right as well about the entry level ssd being slower as well. If you opt for a 256 or 512 ssd though, it's faster, not quite same as 2.4 but much closer. if you look at performance benchmarks or use videos on YouTube you'll see the 1.4 and 2.4 are almost identical in performance for most tasks and benchmarks.

Reactions: KPOM

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
For my personal usage in software development it’s killing it. I’ve upgraded the SSD though.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for the responses. For background, I have a 2017 MacBook that I’ll keep as a secondary Mac. I briefly tried a dual-core MacBook Pro when I bought the MacBook but didn’t see enough of a difference back then to justify the extra weight. I run Windows 10 in Parallels Desktop.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
The MacBook Pro arrived today. I had only enough time to install Catalina and migrate from a backup of my MacBook but was impressed by how quickly Migration Assistant transferred 200GB of data from my external SSD. It took about 15 minutes. Apparently the USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds make quite a difference, along with the faster MacBook Pro internal drive. The fan came on during the transfer (it was weird hearing a fan since I’ve used 12” MacBooks for 4 years), so perhaps the additional thermal space helped, too.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
After my first weekend I’m very impressed with the performance of the base 13” MacBook Pro. It handles virtual machines with ease. The SSD is downright snappy. And the quad-core processor is very good. For $200 more than the Air this is a steal.