Periodically turn on/off Air Plane mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Madu, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Madu macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm coming from Android to iPhone 5 so I'm not sure if there is an app that can do this. There are apps that can do this on Android so I'm sure iOS should be able to do this too.

Basically I want to turn on Air Plane mode at a certain time at night and turn it on in the morning. I want to do this because I keep the phone on my bed and I have a infant sleeping in bed. I do not want a cellular transmission device operating near her.

I can manually turn it on when I go to bed, but the problem is I forget to turn it back on in the morning.

If anybody knows of an app that can do this please do let me know.

Thank you.

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

iOS has 'Do Not Disturb' where you can set such times, but it won't solve your problem.

I'm not aware of anything like that (outside jailbreaking) but I could be wrong.

GL!

3. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately due to the restrictions of iOS, no app can schedule airplane mode. If you want that, you'd have to jailbreak.

4. Madu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much jlake02.
    Unfortunately this is not what I'm looking for. I need to be able to turn off cellular radio.

----------

Thank you very much alansmallen.
    That was exactly my worry.

Does iOS allow to control the wifi/bluetooth?

I'm also looking for an app that can detect the connected netweork SSID and change phone settings (ringer on/off, vibration, wifi/BT turn/off, etc).

Thank you.

5. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately what you're looking for is an exact jailbreak app. iOS just implemented scheduling of services like DND but it's limited to just that.

Don't know if you're up for jailbreaking, but if so it'd be an app like this:
    http://thebigboss.org/sbschedule-sbsettings-profile-manager

EDIT: Just realized you're on an iPhone 5, so no jailbreak

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Madu I am sympathetic with your request. I understand that some folks believe cell phones are a risk. Is there something else you could do to mitigate that risk, e.g. move the phone farther away.

When we had infants we were always nearby and always had our phones with us. Splitting the days into thirds, turning off the phone at night would still leave them 2/3 exposed. Not to mention the wifi in the house and neighbor's houses.

I've heard of paint that blocks cellular signals to help keep them out of your house / rooms (and window film) but who knows what else is in it that's harmful.

With all that said, iPhone profiles would be nice.

7. Madu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much.
    This is exactly the kind of app I'm looking for. Too bad I need to jailbreak for this. Since this is a corporate phone (reason I had to move to iPhone) I'm not very comfortable with jailbreaking.

Its too bad iOS has these restrictions. I will look in to the possibility of jailbreaking as that seems to the only option.

Thank you again

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

[​IMG]
    Pardon?

9. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Not a public jailbreak. With the history of jailbreaks, until it's released it might as well not exist.

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I realize this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but how about a daily alarm, reminding you to turn off airplane mode?

11. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Ah, my friend wrote it and sent me a build of it... It exists I promise c:

12. Madu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much PNutts.
    You are right. This probably doesn't save a lot of exposure. Especially since I'm living in a condominium there are many wi-fi's around. But I think 3G/LTE signals are somewhat stronger than wi-fi signals.

I know this probably doesn't make much of a difference, but as a parent I want to do what I can do avoid EM exposure.

Since I had the feature to turn on/off Air plane mode I am used to keeping my phone next to me at bed. Like you suggested, I think the easiest way would be change this habit and keep the phone far away. But that is a difficult habit to break :)

13. jeblis macrumors regular

14. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

1. That's not relevant.
    2. Who are you to comment?
    3. The problem is people that roll on and crush the child if you keep a distance and are not a heavy sleeper or a fat slob you should be fine.

----------

This is not a public jailbreak, it probably won't be available for some time. There is a difference between an experienced hacker jailbreaking an iPhone and an application that allows easy jailbreaking being released.

15. otis123 macrumors 6502a

16. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

You're thinking that radiation from the phone might harm your baby? Here's another thought: how about the radiation that is constantly bombarding your home? Where do you think your phone picks up the cellular signal from?

How do you think that signal got into your house? It's from that big cell tower in your town. Trust me, that thing outputs a hell of a lot more radiation in 1 second than your phone does in an hour.

The waves that penetrate buildings, people, etc have long wavelengths so they don't ionize tissue or damage DNA. Now if we're talking about gamma and x-rays, you'd want to keep your child away from those.

Here's another thought: the radiation that everyone is exposed to when being outside from sunlight (visible light, UV rays, infrared aka heat) could be considered more harmful than radio waves (cellular radiation).

Not all radiation is harmful, especially long wavelength radio waves. You read too many quack books or articles.

17. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

I think a huge investment in tin foil will give you what you want.