Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Just wondering if this is a normal thing, as I've never owned an Apple laptop that I've just let sleep when I'm not using it.

So, I've had a 12" iBook G4 for about a week, 640MB RAM, 10.3.3, and I used a MS optical mouse plugged into one of the USB ports. I don't recall the version of the MS mouse software I installed, it's the latest one (version 5?) which I downloaded from the MS site.

Everything is super-fine, and when I'm not using it for any length of time I just close the lid and let the iBook sleep.

But when I wake the book up, the mouse doesn't work. I always have to unplug and re-plug it to get it moving.

Is this a normal thing that always happens when you wake from sleep? Seems a bit annoying...the trackpad and button are fine. I don't use any other USB peripherals aside from the mouse.

Cheers

Zen

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
no its not normal..infact you should be able to wake up your ibook, if the lid is not closed, by your usb mouse..
you may wanna reset your PMU..as it controls sleep n wake up..
or you can call apple, you must be under phone support..
cheers

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Hmm, thought so.

I checked out the Apple support pages about resetting the PMU, and it mentioned that a restart usually solves the problem. As it happened I just downloaded the security update and had to restart anyway. Bingo, seems to work fine now!

Cheers

Zen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.