Permissions hell after OS restore — wheel, staff?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kirkbross, Jul 31, 2016.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I rolled back my OS to 10.11.5 and got into some permission trouble with a few drives (not all).

I got them working by Getting Info on each problem drive, then manually adding myself back to the drive with read and write permissions.

But... I want to **learn**... Some drives say have permissions for kirkross (Me), staff & everyone... while others had System, wheel & everyone (and NOT me)... how did I disappear from those drives?

I'd just chalk it up to the OS restore, but I want to understand the mechanics.

2. KALLT macrumors 601

You probably have to give a bit more information about your setup, i.e. your drives, their file systems and so forth. Your ‘Macintosh HD’ partition will belong to root (‘System’) at runtime and be mounted at /, and it has read-only access for the wheel group (to which root belongs) and everyone else. Other drives are usually mounted on behalf of the user at /Volumes/*, which means that the user ‘owns’ them at their mount point. Staff is a user group to which user accounts (those created by System Preferences) belong.

You are saying that some of your external volumes belong to root instead of the user? Is the option ‘Ignore ownership on this volume checked’ on those drives?

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

It was actually an internal drive that was giving me issues. I'm not sure why I had to re-add myself to the drive after the update but it's fine now.