Permit Required to Sell Girl Scout Cookies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, May 16, 2014.

?

Should Girl Scouts & School Fundraisers Need a Permit

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  3. Don't Care

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Heck No! Bring my Thin Mints

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

2. localoid, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

In these troubling times, you can't be too cautious...

[​IMG]

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If this goes through, then I think Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses should require a permit to sell me religion.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I opened my door one Saturday morning for the Mormons ringing my door bell at some ungodly hour. I was in my robe and left the front open. Odd, they've never rang my bell again.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably turned on ;).

9. Huntn, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hilarious! :) Tim Curry (look a like)?

No, no permit should be required. Probably another fund raiser for states who "we don't raise taxes". ;) Why does this poll have 2 "no" answers?

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is ridiculous. Just another example of government trying to insert more control over us.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yep, and contrary to conservative dogma, it's not liberals who are doing it!

I just read the article, they say they're trying to avoid Girl Scouts having to register.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's complicated.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As I said instead of approaching budgeting in a responsible manner, they use "non-tax" (right!) gimmicks to raise revenue. This is why my state, Texas has a "home alarm" permit, where by paying for a monitored system, I've helped deter crime, I'm also being charged for it by the city. And I've seen our water bills go up substantially, besides the constant pressure to raise property taxes. But the conservatives in this area don't seem to be bothered by that.

Lol. Just another poorly constructed poll. ;)

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So cynical.

If you read the article, then you saw there were reasons behind this proposal that did not include the naked desire to control people's lives.

Government does sometimes make bone-headed decisions. But IMO attributing their motivation as a desire to control people—instead of seeking a solution to real problems—is a step too far.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

For the record, I was stuck between "no" and "heck no". But not because I like Thin mints. And off topic, don't buy the CoffeeMate GS Thin mint or GS Samoas creamer. They taste nothing like the cookie.

I say all of that, and thanks for posting this, because for the past 8 years, my wife has run a Girl Scouts troop. To know that people are actually thinking that this is a good idea is well beyond me, especially given the fact that places like Walmart will let anyone peddle their goods and approach you at the entrance to any of their stores, by law/court order.

For that to get a free pass, but crack down on Girl Scouts is preposterous.

BL.

16. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Again, this is a scary day… but I agree with you on the creamer. Not even close.

I know several people in city government in Snellville. The purpose of this law wasn't directed at the Girl Scouts or the school fund raisers. Gwinnett County has been plagued with every type of door-to-door solicitor that can be imagined recently. They don't worry about those "No Soliciting" signs at the front of the subdivisions. They hit a neighborhood with a large group of people in a van, peddling their vacuum cleaners, trying to get donations, fix your roof or whatever. They use large groups so that they can get the largest number of doors knocked on before law enforcement gets called on them. At which time they move on.

However, this has became an example of what can happen when you attempt to make an ordinance. There can be unintended consequences. This has not passed.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I support the idea of magazine sales people, etc., having to have a permit, but, the fact is they ignore my "No Soliciting" sign anyway, so, it is probably pointless.

As for Girl Scouts, sure, it is hard to turn down some cute little scouts with their boxes of cookies in their red wagon, but, I would rather they found a healthier (for me) method of fund-raising.

18. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Girl Scout Cookies predate all of us worrying about our health. They started selling them in 1917.

19. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Did you even read the link?

Nope

The topic of this thread is as misleading as the news headline. No one is giving a free pass to all the other groups and cracking down on girl scouts. It would apply to everyone. Any solicitor wanting to sell something door-to-door would have to go and get a permit.

Do I think girlscouts should have to get a permit? No. But I also don't think that if the community passes a law to decrease solicitors, that any one group should be immune to the law.

20. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The City of Snellville isn't banning solicitors. They are going to require a permit and a background check. The proposed permit fee is nominal and the background check is done by the Snellville Police ($10) or the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office ($20). The idea is that those out to scam won't to be background checked and that it will make residents feel safer about opening the door.

Girl Scouts weren't the targets but the way the ordinance is written would cause not only the Girl Scouts to have to get permits but the school fund raisers, etc. I wonder how the churches would be on this. You know that First Amendment freedom.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yes. I did. The thread title was about Girl Scouts, so I addressed it, pertaining to Girl Scouts.

Your issue is with the OP, not me, so you should redirect your issues there.

You don't know about California law, So here is a quick primer from a case out here:

http://www.ourwalmartfactcheck.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/12_CA_101200_03_06_14_.pdf.pdf

http://www.plainvanillashell.com/archivelegal.asp?id=788

Target Does not allow soliciting, but Walmart, per lawsuit, does and must allow it, within certain guidelines.

If they were to require a permit, like this bill would propose, not only would that run foul of the lawsuit, but could run afoul of voter registration laws, campaign laws, etc., because it doesn't mention what type of solicitation would be covered. In other words, this isn't just limited to selling a product.

So again, if Walmart gets a free pass on this, per lawsuit, and everyone else would have to get a permit, that is wrong.

EDIT:

They would be against it as well, especially because of the 1st Amendment. 4 words: Mormons and Jehovah's Witness.

BL.

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

That's no look-a-like:

23. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Generally the LDS Church only comes to you if you request the Book of Mormon. So, Snellville is pretty safe from them. Jehovah Witnesses, aren't they just looking for a 110,000? Haven't they got them yet? We have more Baptists that come knocking than anything else.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

There are a fair number of them (Mormons) on this side of the country, mainly on their missions. Frequently, I'll see them riding their bikes down a given street; they recently built a temple near where I live, so that may also do it for me.

On a side note: a Mormon temple is a really good place to do genealogy research. I found that out rather shockingly, as my family had nothing to do with them at all. The LDS are great records keepers, and have access to more genealogical and historical documentation that either rivals or exceeds what you could find at NARA.

As far as Jehovah's Witnesses, I'm not sure.. Better to ask Prince. ;)

BL.

25. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Probably a good idea which will save lives. I was immediately reminded of the movie "Screamers" based on P. K. Dick's story "Second Variety."

" Thank you sir. My name is Tasso. That's 20 boxes of thin mints and... It's so cold out here, would you mind if I stepped inside for a minute to get warm?"