Perpetually weak 3G signal in Southern Cali... What are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Sep 8, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

PLEASE help me.

1) I am within the 30 day return window (I've had my iPhone 4 for about 2 weeks)

2) I get zero to 1 bars of 3G signal, about 60-75% of the time. The other times I randomly shoot up to full bars, but then it drops out after a few minutes.

3) I could restore it, but I don't think 3G strength has anything to do with restoring it.

4) I refuse to get a refurb from a Genius... I JUST got mine, I want a BRAND NEW iPhone 4 *** dammit (sorry for using the Lord's name in vain but this makes me angry that Apple could do this)

What should I do?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I thought you were going to return it because of a speck, or am I getting my threads confused?

3. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Ive dealt with the exact same problem with my iphone 4 since launch day. I live in mississippi however and generally have far better reception with it then previous iphones, however where i live at, its just like your situation. I get 1-2 bars of signal and cant hold a call most the time. I went through a few phones from the genius bar and finally apple sent me a brand new one and that still didnt make it any better! So, best of luck to you! I did notice a few people mentioning that the new baseband has helped them with signal issues, just not sure if im ready to give up my jb yet!!:)

4. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Don't worry about the "refurb" phone. They are actually tested better than the ones straight from the factory.

6. aohus macrumors 68000

AT&T is spotty in the L.A area. I'm currently on Verizon and never had dropped call issues during my time in L.A and up in the Bay Area.

7. n00basaur macrumors regular

8. SPX macrumors member

Are you using a case/bumper for your iPhone? I had an experience very similar to yours, and upon putting on the bumper, my signal improved by a solid 2-3 bars.

9. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Within 30 days you have the ability to get a brand new iPhone and not a refurb. If you bought at an Apple store and they offer you a refurb (only stores that do that) just let them know that your money was spent to buy a 100% working and 100% new in box iPhone 4, not a refurb unless they want to give you back some money.

Secondly, opt for a microcell. It's $0 up to $50 depending where you get it, who you talk to and your account standing.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Good lord. First the above, now AT&T signal issues. Give up, return your iPhone. Much easier than dealing with your OCD.

11. Sticman macrumors member

Return it and either wait for a Verizon iphone that some expect by January or get a Verizon Droid now.

12. joekun macrumors regular

AT&T signal strength seems to have gotten worse in the L.A. area over the last 3 weeks or so. Most of the people I work with have the iphone 4 and have been having problems. I'm not sure what happened but it's really getting frustrating. Unfortunately for me, AT&T is the only wireless company that gets a signal into the building I work in. At best I get edge, but if I open the door I can get 3G.