Persistent Ringer/Volume Alert... Water?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mhaddy, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Just got in from a very soggy day in the park. My iPhone 4 had been in my waterproof jacket for several hours and while I can confirm no water got in it, some moisture/dampness may have as a result of being in the jacket pocket.

Now I am experiencing erratic ringer/volume alerts where the volume will go up/down on its own or the translucent ringer window will stay on the screen until I click one of the volume up/down buttons.

This is particularly aggravating when listening to music or on a call as it has essentially rendered my device useless for these type of functions.

Does anyone have an idea as to what caused this or how to fix it? The iPhone 5 hasn't been released yet so I have to make due with this for (at least) a month ;).

2. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

1. This is no brainer but have you tried restarting your device? Sometimes my iPhone 4 goes a little crazy and laggy at times and restarting it always helps.

2. If that doesnt work, try a hard reset. Its almost the same as a restart but It resets the phone. Hold the power button and the home button down at the same time until it shuts down and restarts by itself again.

3. If all else fails, a restore always works. Connect your iPhone to iTunes and make sure you backup your phone. Then simply restore it.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If none of the software fixes above work then it might be a hardware problem with the volume buttons or vibrate switch thingy. In that case you should take it into an Apple Store.

Also beware of restoring the phone without backing up. If you don't have a backup you will lose all of your stuff.

4. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Well the problem seems to have fixed itself over the last day or so. Prior to this, I did try the suggested turn off/on, hard boot, the works. Cross fingers that it was a temporary glitch in the matrix :). Thanks for your replies!