Persistent Surveillance Aircraft Coming to Fruition from War Research

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Oct 25, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Check this out. It looks like they are testing new surveillance technology in Afghanistan that can watch an area in 360 degree views and also record sound. I bet if this works out, soon big brother will deploy these near you too!

I’ve read about these ideas in the past and also read about some concepts of using them as laser relays for high speed internet in the future.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/10/23/blimp-army-kandahar-surveillance-privacy.html

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

[​IMG]

This is Bob Barker reminding you to spay, neuter, and protect from government conspiracies your pets.

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Actually, persistent surveillance blimps (non-rigid) have been in operation for some time.

The US deployed two programs for border security, although both programs were shut down because of problems keeping the blimps deployed in bad weather.

One was based in Deming, NM and the other outside of Ft. Huachuca, AZ.

These were both aerostats, and were primarily designed as radar platforms, while the one deployed in Afghanistan carries a camera.

It also appears that Blackwater (ne Xe) is also trying to get in on the action.

4. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dang, that's an old article.

I would presume that the shape along with new tether materials allow it to be more suitable for "bad weather". Whether a huricane can mess it up is another story, perhaps.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Comparing images from the new article and old, it appears that the shape is the same, but I really don't know what differences could be made in tether material or design to mitigate the problems they had in Deming and Ft. Huachuca.

6. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where do you see the old blimps? Anyways back then aerodynamics wasn’t as advanced and computational versions were crude if at all existent for use in development of that I’d imagine. And materials such as bullet proof vests improved over 20 years so I would imagine some things have been made stronger.