Person I'm talking to can't hear me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rml4uk, Oct 29, 2011.

1. rml4uk macrumors member

Several times since I got my 4S (probably 5 or 6 times) when I call someone, I will be muted on their end, but the mute icon won't be highlighted on my screen. For example, earlier today I called Home Depot to rent a nail gun. The guy at the rental desk picked up and said "Home Depot rental, blah blah blah". I then started to tell him I needed to rent a nail gun when I hear him say "Hello?" I start talking again but hear him again say "Hello? Hello?" then he hangs up. During the "conversation" I looked down at my phone several times to make sure I hadn't inadvertently tapped the mute button, but it was dark just like all the other buttons.

Like I said, this has probably happened 5 or 6 times since I got mine on the 19th. Has anyone else had any issues with this?

2. u2hibby macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. It happens to me once a day and I only make 6-8 calls per day. I can't replicate it. It only happens when I make a call.

3. thinkadam macrumors regular

Yes,this seems to be a known issue
    Theres a 10 page thread on the apple support forums.
    It seems to be on some phones
    Not mine, but my wife has it very often.

Would someone make this a sticky, I think this issue needs more attention.

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I don't make too many calls from my 4S, but of the ones I've made, I've had a dropped call, and an issue where when I initially pick up, the person doesn't hear me say "hello". I have to wait an awkward 3 seconds before I start speaking for the person to hear it.

It's funny how my old non-smart flip phone made more reliable calls than the 4S.

I'm generally much happier with my iPhone than with my Samsung flip phone though.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The other person can't hear me for a few seconds when I receive calls on my 3GS at times. I'm thinking this is more of a network issue.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Happens to me on my iPhone 4. It must be an iOS 5 bug. I never had a problem with this before the GM though.

7. Rcflex macrumors member

Rcflex

I'm having the same issue, it takes several seconds for the person to finally hear me or they say they can hardly hear me on the phone...

8. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I have had this issue on both my 3Gs and now my 4s. I thought it might have something to do with me using a JB/Unlocked 3Gs on T-Mobile, but my 4s is factory unlocked so I have no idea why it happens.

9. rml4uk thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's funny - I started this thread then the same thing happened my next three calls. The first time I was at my house, then a couple miles from my house, then a third time about a mile after that. I reset my network settings but I haven't made any calls since then so I don't know if resetting helped.

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Same thing hapened to my wife's 4 and her friends 4s on the same day ironically. My wife's 4 she could. It hear out of, and her friends 4S had this mute issue. Apple store replaced both, as a software update did not fix them.

Genius said the mic was shot on the 4S not sure on the 4.
    Short advice, take it in for a swap.

11. ijohnbro macrumors regular

12. yrrej macrumors regular

this actually happened to me for the first time today and i came on the forums looking to see if anyone has experienced this. i rarely talk on the phone so i haven't really come across this.

13. Charadis macrumors 6502a

This happened to me today on my iPhone 4. Every time I called my bro, he either could not hear me when he picked up, or my end would be muted sometime into the convo.

Do I need to have my phone checked??

-C

Sent from my MacBook Pro

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Mine is just fine. Perhaps this is isolated to a small number of phones. Actually it might be quite a few yet a very small percentage. With so many sold even a small percentage would involve lots of phones.

15. M3NACING macrumors newbie

I had the same exact issue with my 4S. When I make a phone call, the person on the other side couldn't hear me. The speakerphone works without a problem though. I stopped by the Apple store and they determined that it was a faulty mic. They replaced it and no problem ever since.

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

I had this problem on my iPhone 3GS and ended up having to get the phone replaced. It's didn't happen on my 4 and hasn't happened yet on my 4S.

17. kmacks27 macrumors newbie

Had this problem on my Iphone 4s went to The Apple store they replaced it
    same as above faulty mic. The replacment 4s has never done this yet.

18. kallyq macrumors regular

I had this issue to. I got mine replaced for this and other reasons.

19. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

This has happened to me on every iPhone I've owned (all except the 3G.) It's never been too big of an issue for me to get a replacement, though.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

21. Angler macrumors regular

Happened to me from day one with the new 4s. Almost every other call originating from the phone. Very frustrating. Called apple care sent a new phone the next day and no more problems.