Personal hotspot on 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elaniemay, Mar 8, 2012.

1. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I just noticed that I can use my 4S as a personal hotspot if I choose. Are there additional charges that I will incur if I do this? I am on AT&T with a grandfathered unlimited plan.

Thanks for your time.

2. cynics macrumors G3

Yes there are additional charges on a smartphone plan.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

If u are on grandfathered unlimited $30 AT&T data plan.

There is no chance to enable the personal hotspot.

That is not an option. Never has been an option.

Your only option is to go to the $30 tiered data plan for $30 and than switch to the tethering plan with is $50/5gb data.

You can switch back to the $30/3GB data plan anytime and all data is pro rated so you don't have to use it all month.

However you will lose your unlimited data plan forever. No way to get it back if you switch over.

4. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

5. camardelle macrumors 6502

I am grandfathered in too. Thanks for that info.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I was grandfathered under the unlimited plan and gave it up for the $50 teathering option. I looked at my past history and I only use about 3-4GB of data per month. Just made no sense to keep unlimited when I'm not using it especially now that AT&T is throttling.

Now I have teathering which is really cool and comes in handy. Much better than having unlimited but that's just me. :)

7. b24pgg macrumors 65816

If you're jailbroken you can use MyWi. The app costs $20 but there are no fees in addition to your normal data plan.

8. pixartia.com macrumors newbie

pixartia.com

Dear all,

to resolve this problem you should complete following steps:

1. Download operators list from here
    2. Look for most modern profile of your operator (looks like http://appldnld.appl...xxxx.ipcc)
    3. Download this profile (ipcc file)
    4. Close iTunes if it's opened and running
    5. Open Terminal
    6. Put and execute following command: defaults write com.apple.itunes carrier-testing -bool true
    7. Close Terminal
    8. Connect your new iPad via cable
    9. Run iTunes
    10. Press and hold option key while clicking "Check for Update"
    11. In dialog window point to the downloaded ipcc file (downloaded on step 3)
    12. Wait until synchronization will be completed.
    13. Disconnect iPad
    14. Reboot iPad
    15. On the iPad open Settings > General > Network >
    16. Switch on the Personal Hotspot setting
    17. Personal Hotspot should appear in Settings and should function normally.
    18. Enjoy your life!

Good luck!!!
    :)

----------

Link in step 2. http://iphonediags.apple.com/version.xml

9. Gary86 macrumors member

What's the point of this?

10. astral125 macrumors 6502

If you tap on it and try to enable it, the option will just disappear without enabling or causing you to be charged.

11. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I did the same thing. Now I can use my laptop and my iPad whenever I need to when WiFi is not available. An extra $20 a month was worth it to me. It actually saved me money because I was able to drop my cell card I had.

12. cynics macrumors G3

Can someone post a screen shot of their fastest tethered speed. IE another iPhone connect via tethered wifi to another iPhone or iPad?

I use an android tablet and when it's getting 35+ mb down my tethered iPhone gets like .75 mb down but 15 mb up. A couple of time I got 10 mb down but that's few and far between.

Weighing my option of getting the new iPad.

13. AppleFan360, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Nice to see someone else in the same boat. It seems like I'm always a lone wolf in these threads. People hold on to their unlimited plans like gold when really they can be quite limiting in the long run.

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Did the same thing. With all the throttling and not really being unlimited, capped at 3GB, might as well switch. I did. Also received a $135 dollar credit for doing so. Extra $20 a month - I can connect my MacBook Pro and iPad to the net when power goes out or no wifi available.

I looked, never used above 500mb since I have had the iPhone from the 3G era. Lol.

15. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

Being on our custom plan with Sprint lets me have unlimited data and my mobile hotspot for dirt cheap compared to a phone + data card. I've used it a few dozen times to get out of a bind when my iPad wouldn't quite cut it. To me, a person who lives off his phone, it is so very worth the cost.

16. Beelzbub macrumors regular

Sorry for the late reply on this, been pretty busy. But here is a screen shot of my iPad using the hot spot on my 4S. For me the speed is plenty fine.

Attached Files:

17. techguy20 macrumors 6502

You could always Jailbreak if you're not in OS5.1 already and use either TetherMe or MyWi without any additional charges.