Personal Hotspot on iOS6 iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aryattack, Oct 21, 2012.

1. aryattack macrumors newbie

I cannot seem to get the tethering / hotspot working on my iPhone 5. I used to have at&t but now I have Net10 (at&t sim). Wi-Fi tethering worked on at&t perfectly fine but it doesn't work on Net10. I have updated the apn settings and the phone is factory unlocked without a jailbreak. The personal hotspot menu does open and allows me to change the password and enable or disable personal hotspot. However I have tried on many devices to connect to the personal hotspot and 95% of the time it cannot even recognize or find the wi-fi, with bluetooth it drops the pair within a couple seconds and it can't connect by usb. Sometimes it does connect to the wifi hotspot but immediately gives me a connection time out. I have restored and turned off but still can't get it to work. I realize that Net10 doesn't want you to do this but shouldnt it either disable the menu or just block the incoming/outgoing data? I don't understand why the wifi wont even show in other devices. Does anybody else have this problem or know of a fix?

tl;dr - how do you get undiscoverable wifi to become discoverable through net10/straight talk

thanks.

2. Beezzy macrumors 6502

You have to have it as part of your plan. I don't know if Net 10 offers a plan with Tethering.

3. aryattack thread starter macrumors newbie

if i don't have it part of my plan then the menu should be locked, or at least create a hotspot and then say cannot connect to internet.