Personal hotspot slow with pc

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdrainSingapore, Nov 16, 2012.

1. AdrainSingapore macrumors member

So I bought an unlimited LTE data and 600 minutes plan with my iphone 5. Since I thought I have lte, I canceled my home Internet line as I wanted to use my plan with my laptop and devices. I managed to connect my computer to my iPhone via personal hotspot. I tested my lte at home I get at least 25 Mbps on my phone but when I go to speedtest.net on my mobile it shows a constant 2.82 Mbps. Is there something I can do to the wifi settings on the computer or is there a problem with my phone or my laptop?

2. superstardj macrumors regular

Trying to understand...you get 25 down on what device, your phone? And around 3 down on what device, your computer connected to the phone ?

What operating system and what kind of wireless card do you have

3. AdrainSingapore thread starter macrumors member

I have a HP pavilion dm 4 notebook pc that runs windows 7 I will check the wireless card when I get home. I get 25 down on my iphone 5 and 3 down on my laptop. I turn wireless hotspot on on my phone and use my laptop to connect to the hotspot.

4. superstardj macrumors regular

Might want to make sure your drivers for your wireless card are up to date...also scan for viruses and spyware that could slow it down if you have a threat....try a different browser (shouldn't make a difference but never hurts).

Do you have another computer by chance to test with and see if it is faster connected to the iPhone.

Let me know if any of this works.

----------

Try looking at this as well....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home/DM4-incredibly-slow-connection-to-WPA2-enterprise-wireless/td-p/992815

5. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Try with the USB cable connected rather than via wireless as well

6. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

7. ryan.apham, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

ryan.apham macrumors member

Although I'm a Mac user, I don't see how buying a Mac will remedy the situation. You get better hotspot speed on Mac? What the non-sense.

You are the reason that make our Apple community look bad. iFan here, iFan there, non-stop flaming.