Personal Hygiene, Don’t Stink! :)

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve used deodorants with some form of aluminum something in them, for decades. In my case, for the last several I’ve used Arm & Hammer Ultra Max, which works like a charm, it’s active ingredient is aluminum zirconium (20%). Anyone familiar with aluminum zirconium? I remember over a decade ago some news about aluminum xxxx, and it maybe bad for you, may even have something to do with old age dementia. However, the aluminum zirconium is so effective I have gone 48 hours without a bath and no bad oders from my arm pits.

Anyway, I accidentally purchased a a bottle of Arm & Hammer Essentials (Deoderant with Natural Deodorizers). Its claim to fame is that it does not stain the arm pits of your T-shirt. So I’ve been using it and sometimes within a couple of hours, I’m noticing a BO spell eminating from my arm pits, pew!

So,
  • What kind of deodorant do you use, aluminum xxx or no?
  • If you use a “natural” deodorant, how effective and expensive is it?
  • Natural deodorants, if you use them do you like them because they are effective or because you think they are safer?
  • What do you think about aluminum xxx in your deodorant, especially if you are a medical, or scientific person who is familiar with the topic? The following article says no-problem. Famous last words. 😉

10 Natural Deodorants Without Aluminum & Really High Reviews, According To Amazon

What are the Dangers of Aluminum Zirconium?
Some people also believe that the dangers of aluminum zirconium include a link between certain aluminum compounds and Alzheimer's disease. Research, however, has not found any positive association between the disease and antiperspirants or other everyday sources of aluminum. Medical experts do not know what causes Alzheimer's and have explored many avenues of research. Some studies have found aluminum to be present in brains of people who have suffered from neurological damage, such as that associated with Alzheimer's disease, but many experts believe this link to be merely secondary and not causal.

No Cause for Alarm
Most aluminum is ingested by humans through water and processed food, not through the skin from hygiene products. Many health associations, including those that focus on cancer and Alzheimer's disease, have worked to lay to rest the rumors about the dangers of aluminum zirconium or the use of antiperspirants. Until scientific research proves that there is a link between the use of antiperspirants that contain aluminum zirconium and any diseases, there is no cause for someone to be concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeyf

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
When I was 19 (1990) I found a product called PowerStick. At the time it was made by Faberge. Now, you may be thinking 'Speedstick' but it's not that. Speedstick is made by Gillette and has NEVER worked for me.

The brand Powerstick got sold at some point and for about 20 years or so I had to rely on Arm & Hammer and up until a couple of years ago Dove Men's Care. Both work, Dove better than A&H, but still not as good as PowerStick.

Recently (last five years or so) PowerStick went back on the market and is made by a new company. It's still the exact same thing though and this time around it's cheap. I only seem able to find it at the dollar store. I'm fine with that, because I've got the product back.

This stuff is so good that I can drive an hour and 15 minutes in 90º+ heat (car with no A/C and windows cannot be rolled down) and when I've cooled down and dried out at work the product is still working and effective.

The moment I found PowerStick again, Dove got dumped at the curb. :)

download.jpg

Reactions: Huntn

Populus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
@eyoungren But what does PowerStick and the Dove deodorant? Are they anti-perspirant? Or are they just deodorants? Meaning if they let the skin breathe and produce sweat, preventing just the odour, or do they block the pores on the skin?

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I don't use aluminum because I'm allergic to it. I don't know if the aluminum ones are harmful, but I'm glad that there are a lot better alternatives now than when I was growing up. I'm not loyal to any particular kind though.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
WARNING: Some people on this forum may consider your questions rude and invasive. They will open up the thread, read your post, and then respond telling you so. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: willmtaylor

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
@eyoungren But what does PowerStick and the Dove deodorant? Are they anti-perspirant? Or are they just deodorants? Meaning if they let the skin breathe and produce sweat, preventing just the odour, or do they block the pores on the skin?
Both brands have deodorant and anti-perspirant. I use anti-perspirant. But there is only so much anti-perspirant can do when the inside of the car I'm driving is 95º or so. But, with Powerstick, once I cool down and dry out it works in a normal environment like a normal person would use it. So, even though I sweat like a pig on the way to work (or back) because of the heat, I don't have to reapply it.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Dove Men's Care

I don't work in medicine, but I'm not going to be concerned about aluminum in deodorants until there's actual evidence that it's dangerous.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I’ve used Degree forever. I‘ve never sweat from my pits excessively, but I’ve never had any issues (that I know of) with BO while using Degree, and it’s relatively cheap, so I have no real reason to switch.

CD4F5B2E-E5CD-479D-AB5F-46A924317AA3.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I've used Mitchum (unscented) for over twenty years, and have always found it excellent.

@Huntn: Online reviews and commentators have also remarked on (and given a recommendation to) a roll-on anti-perspirant/deordorant by the company Jason (which manufactures natural products) which might also be included in your list.

While I haven't used this product, I have used other products made by Jason, and found them excellent.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've used Mitchum (unscented) for over twenty years, and have always found it excellent.

@Huntn: Online reviews and commentators have also remarked on a roll-on anti-perspirant/deordorant by the company Jason (which manufactures natural products) which might also be included in your list.

While I haven't used this product, I have used other products made by Jason, and found them excellent.
I kind of hate this topic, because I love the anti-perspirant I’m currently using, it is super effective, but my bother informed he he would not use any anti-perspirant because he did not want to come down with Alzheimer’s, and here I am not feeling as sharp as I used to be. :confused: Our mother had dementia before she passed. The thing is no one knows if aluminum in your deoderant has anything to do with it, just an unsubstantiated claim.:oops:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I kind of hate this topic, because I love the anti-perspirant I’m currently using, it is super effective, but my bother informed he he would not use any anti-perspirant because he did not want to come down with Alzheimer’s, and here I am not feeling as sharp as I used to be. :confused: Our mother had dementia before she passed. The thing is no one knows if aluminum in your deoderant has anything to do with it, just an unsubstantiated claim.:oops:
Well, Mitchum - which I love - contains aluminium; and until I read serious scientific evidence advising strongly against its use, I shall continue to use it.

Some issues, - such as the causes and effects climate change, or nicotine use, - strongly supported by credible scientific evidence, clearly do suggest that one should consider choices one has made (or is about to make), re climate or smoking, whereas others (in the absence of evident to the contrary) strike me as having an element of scare-mongering to them.

My mother had dementia - I wrote about it quite a bit on these fora,- (as did one of her sisters and one of her brothers), but I am not about to blame the use of deodorant for this.

Rather, the stuff that would have killed her in earlier decades, eras, and times - such as cardiac conditions, - she had serious cardiac issues, and required several stents and the installation of a pace-maker, and a veritable cocktail of medication; her breasts - she had a couple of precancerous lumps removed shortly after she retired, - a condition I have always suspected was triggered by stress, for she had loved her work, and other such conditions, such as lung cancer which was a major killer less than half a century ago, or TB, - no longer present the sort of threat that they used to in the first world as recently as a few decades ago.

In other words, the stuff that killed people as recently as a few decades ago - TB, lung cancer, some heart conditions - no longer do so on account of medical advances; therefore, other conditions - such as dementia - have become more prevalent, but this can not necessarily be laid at the feet of the use of deodorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

millerj123

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I used to use antiperspirant/deoderant. The armpits of my shirts discolored and became crunchy. I switched to Crystal salts. They have no odor, and don't stain my clothes.
Crystal on Amazon.

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
Aluminum zirconium is an anti-perspirant. Nearly all anti-perspirant deodorants contain it. If you opt for a non-aluminum deodorant, it will probably not be an anti-perspirant. Anti-perspirants are often more effective deodorants, but I also find them to be overkill. I don't need to be prevented from sweating there. Just the deodorant is enough.

To be honest, I had not heard about negative health consequences of aluminum in deodorant until recently. What prompted me to stop using anti-perspirants was that the armpits of my light-colored shirts were becoming stained over time and I read that it's the aluminum in the anti-perspirants that stains them. Ever since then, I've used natural deodorants or simply deodorants that are not anti-perspirants and thus do not contain aluminum. Right now I'm using Dove, but I've also used Tom's.

Unfortunately, I tried one "natural deodorant", called Every Man Jack, and I had an allergic reaction to it. It caused unbearable burning and stinging in my armpits. I don't know which of the ingredients was at fault, but I have not used that brand again.

Reactions: Huntn and Populus

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I used to use antiperspirant/deoderant. The armpits of my shirts discolored and became crunchy. I switched to Crystal salts. They have no odor, and don't stain my clothes.
Crystal on Amazon.
How effective would,you say this is for suppressing natural sweat based body oder over the course of a day? Do you use the rollon or stick version, scented or unscented?

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and Populus

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I've used a variety of anti perspirants, but would just like to use deodorants going forward, since I view sweating as a healthy detoxifier now.

The natural deodorants I've tried do not stop the stink though (reapplication a few times daily). I have this wonderful coconut scented deodorant, but it fades a few hours.

I did try one type of that Crystal, but do you have to wet the crystal to activate the deodorant? I think that's why it did not work for me.

millerj123

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
How effective would,you say this is for suppressing natural sweat based body oder over the course of a day? Do you use the rollon or stick version, scented or unscented?
I sweat heavily, and can go up to 24 hours without stink. I found the roll on a bit messy. With the stick, you get it wet and rub it on. Only takes a moment to dry. I use unscented.

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Degree for Men is the only brand that seems to work for me. It will leave some stains if I’m not careful, but it’s less than others. If someone could recommend something that doesn’t leave stains I wouldn’t mind trying it though. Old spice was absolute garbage. It burned and as soon as I started sweating it smelled AWFUL. Their body wash seems to be fine though.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I sweat heavily, and can go up to 24 hours without stink. I found the roll on a bit messy. With the stick, you get it wet and rub it on. Only takes a moment to dry. I use unscented.
I think I’ll try this. Thanks! :)
- - Post merged: - -

I've used a variety of anti perspirants, but would just like to use deodorants going forward, since I view sweating as a healthy detoxifier now.

The natural deodorants I've tried do not stop the stink though (reapplication a few times daily). I have this wonderful coconut scented deodorant, but it fades a few hours.

I did try one type of that Crystal, but do you have to wet the crystal to activate the deodorant? I think that's why it did not work for me.
Maybe we can get a comment from @millerj123. :)

millerj123

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008

Yes, the roll-on has liquid in it, but the stone has to be wet to get anything on you.

Reactions: Huntn and kazmac