PERSONALLY, how do you guys manage your battery and a/c adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnthrMacUser, Jun 19, 2010.

1. AnthrMacUser macrumors newbie

Without giving links to mac sites nor apple sites. How do you guys manage your battery and ac adapter usage? I'm new to this macbook pro and i've read all the apple support and other sites of how to use the a/c adapter when to plug it in and when to not, how long to, where, etc. But how do you guys individually use yours? In order to keep it balanced? Thank you guys :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I always use mine OFF the charger during the day. And whenever I'm not using it its asleep or turned off on the charger. I never seem to run outa battery using that system :D

4. AnthrMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

What model do you use?

Mines a 15" macbook pro 2010. I just got it yesterday :D

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

13: late 2009 MBP.

6. AnthrMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thank you by the way but i hope other mbp users would give me some isight of how they use theirs :D

7. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i normally leave my A/C charger plugged into my MBP for 4-5 days then let it go down to 50% and repeat the steps

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Everyone uses theirs differently, based on their needs for portability. Some use it mostly at a desk with external monitor, keyboard, mouse.... some mostly on the go with no peripherals. What matters is how you plan to use it. Did you read the info I posted? That should give you a good idea how to care for your battery.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Mine is only a 5-hour (3.5-4 hour usable) battery, but I actually keep it plugged in quite a bit, as I usually sit in one place to work, plus I don't like doing anything strenuous while on battery power. I have done that for about a year, unplugging it about once every 3 days (126 cycles over 13 months), and iStat still shows my battery at 96%, so it works well for me.

10. advres Guest

advres

This is how I tend to use my mbp 2.4 old aluminum style. I tend to keep it plugged in most of the time regardless of where I am using it. Usually about once a week or so I will take it onto the couch unplugged and I will tend to run it down until it hits the red warning with 15 minutes left. Then I will plug it in and the cycle starts over again. I am not doing this for any particular reason, it is just how my usage tends to work.

PS... I did this same routine with an old powerbook g4 and the battery would only last 10 minutes if unplugged after about a year. So far this battery has been really reliable.

11. AnthrMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds good to me, i have mine plugged in right now in the living room. Thinking whether or not if i should plug in it or not since its 94% now and 40 minutes til it's fully charged. So I think I hsould just leave it plugged in. Thank you for your isight!

12. fierarul macrumors member

If you have a power socket nearby use it. If not, use the battery. That's about it.

The only trick is not to abandon the battery: for example, don't leave it 3 months without a charge. But since this is most likely your main machine there's a slim chance it will happen.

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

When it is charging, it is best to leave it plugged in until it is done charging, to prevent a chance of it developing a memory (when the battery thinks it is empty or full but really isn't). When you use it while charging, it will charge considerably slower, but that's natural.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The new batteries don't have such a memory, so that's not an issue.

15. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

In theory Lithium batteries don't, but my past couple phones tell a different story.

16. AnthrMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

i have the new 2010 15" mbp low ends i5. So am i Okay? I've read the links about battery i'm just so confused by so many different users saying different things. I just need something solid and just go with it.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why it's safer to learn what Apple recommends, rather than try to get a consensus among users. Many users don't treat their batteries properly and many think that calibration is simply draining and recharging the battery. If you really want to do it right, depend on facts, rather than opinions.
    Phone batteries are quite different from Apple notebook batteries.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

18. brentsg macrumors 68040

Mine is plugged in, and I use it. I don't think about it, fret about it, lose sleep over it.. etc.

It's a tool that I own, and not the other way around.

19. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Depends on what I'm doing, if I'm just browsing the web, doing some word processing etc then I run on the battery. If I'm doing anything that demands more juice like playing games and what not then I run of the mains.

I try to make sure I run of battery a few times a week, and I have an awful memory for doing routines so will probably end up calibrating every 6-8 weeks or so.

20. onne2slick macrumors regular

When I got my MBP last week, I did endless research on the battery as well. I have concluded, that there is no 'real' way to keep your battery healthy, as there are many ways to work your battery. Numerous replies on threads stated that more cycles the better. As if it was a competition to have the most cycles. But, if you think about it, more cycles, the less efficient.. right? I think it's good to have cycles (just not that much) to move the ions in your battery. And then there are those who replied stating that they use AC power most of the time, even posting pictures of how many cycles they've used within the past months.

I use my MBP mostly at home, and Apple has recommended me (through the phone), to keep it on AC most of the time, and have 2 cycles per week. Which means 8 cycles a month = 96 cycles a year. Within 3 years, you will have approx. 288 cycles before dipping below 80% (if I am correct). I'm sure using the battery isn't bad. By stating that Apple recommends me to use 2 cycles, doesn't mean you have to use 2 cycles. You can use more or less. The batteries aren't so expensive anyway for a thousand dollar product

21. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I keep mine plugged 80%-90% of the time, and drain it once a week. Re-calibrate every 60 days...

22. Pax macrumors 6502a

I don't manage it. I plug it in, or use it on the battery, whatever is convenient. I never calibrate. I very rarely run it down to near empty. I do the same with my current 13" MBP and with my old 2006 13" MB.

MB - about 400 cycles, still at 93% ish
    MBP - 81 cycles, still at 94% ish

23. ipaddyo macrumors newbie

I don't manage it. I just plug it in when I feel like it or when its close to dead and it seems to be fine as far as battery life goes. I can usually get 6 hours or so out of it which is fine for me. I guess if I calibrated it or whatever I could get 7 or 8 or closer to it but 6 is fine for me.

Mines a early 2009 15"

24. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I don't pay it much attention, just use it however I need it. I still end up doing a full cycle at least once every week just using it.

25. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I don't sweat about the battery. I use my MBP with power supply mostly when I'm at base and battery whenever I'm not. As long as I try to follow the recommended guidelines provided by Apple then that's fine. I've always got way too many things to worry about and a laptop battery is probably near the bottom of the list.

Gotta love the battery life though! It saved my ass a couple of times and I'm not the greatest fan of power supplies either especially when on the move.