Perspective: from 2007. How far we have come.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by THE JUICEMAN, Aug 4, 2012.

1. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

This video (at the bottom of the article) really helped me put things in perspective. We have all done so much conplaining (myself included) about this next iPhone launch. It helped me to take a trip down memory lane to realize just how far we have come. Back in 2007 people were cheering madly for scrolling, 160 PPI, visual voicemail and pinch to zoom. It is pretty funny. This introduction of iPhone will never get old.

Also with all of the patent litigation going on I thought it would be a great look at the things that Apple claims that they developed first. It doesn't matter if you believe them or not but they sure did a good job introducing it and patenting it. "and boy have we patented it".

Maybe I am a big geek but this introduction still makes giddy Lol. It also makes me realize that iPhone and iOS may be simple but it is not the same as 2007 like we all have been saying. Enjoy and bring on the new iPhone!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/3/3218934/early-iphone-design-talks-sparked-by-the-samsung-egh-e910-fashionphone

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I clicked on your provided LINK and it didn't work.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If I may say so, the fact that the original iPhone was leaps and bounds ahead of anything before it (in many ways, but not all) doesn't mean that we shouldn't expect more from the successor(s).

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

the bottom line is, you can only do so much to a phone.....and we are at that point. They are basically mini computers, phones, and mp3 players....oh yeah, and cameras. There will not be a major change to phones for a long long time.....the next step is NFC and that really comes down to retailers adopting it. Who cares if my phone has it if i can only use it at like 4 places.

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Here here. So many oppologists use this reasoning as an excuse for Apple. Apple has it all: money, power, talent, so I dang well expect more out of them, not less. That's why so many are dissapointed to just see a stretched iPhone 4 design in these leaks.

What if Samsung, two years down the road, just gave us a stretched GSII? Would people be so forgiving?

6. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Most people tend to see the hardware only.
    What I see and enjoy in the iPhone, are all the things I can and enjoy doing with it, but nothing compares to the amazement of watching how my kids use it.

8. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I agree with you. I want more too. I'm curious as to what your phone of choice is?

----------

The little things keep Bringing back to iPhone but that may change if the S3 battery lasts all day. And iPhone 5 doesn't impress. It will be impressing but will it be enough? Who knows.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You know, I think people thought the same when phones just kept getting smaller (pre smartphone era). And then we were given smartphones. It's tough for me to come up with ideas that we should have for smartphones. But then again, I am not being paid the big bucks to do so. The bottom line is we want to see something new. If we don't, we are unimpressed, and there is really nothing wrong with being unimpressed.

10. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

In the key note about the original iPhone... Steve Jobs joked about it looking like an iPod with a picture. I just got a little more hope for this taller phone being fake. just a little bit though.

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

There are already tons of places that take nfc paypass. Anything under $50 doesn't require a signature or pin. Over that and it acts just like a credit or debit card.

So far these stores have paypass. Look at the credit card machine next time you visit a footlocker, champs, mcdonalds, jack in the box, home depot, cvs, rite aid, 7 eleven, Chevron, Burger king, Petco, Circle k, big brand tire, and even local mom and pop type shops will take it.

By 2013, NFC is going to explode. I look forward to the day that I no longer need my wallet. If I get pulled over by the police i have my license on my phone and it's easy for them to pull your data from the computer, if you work ia secure building,mthe phone acts just like a swipe badge, hotel rooms are the same. All medical info on my phone.

And of course, my data is backed up nightly via computer and cloud and my phone can be wiped remotely if lost. This is the future. Paper money and credit cards will become a thing of the past. May take another 20 years, but it's coming.

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

All of that will be great when security on iPhones gets better. Otherwise, when your phone is stolen, you will lose more than just a phone and wallet but potentially crucial identity related material.

13. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

I had a realization a few weeks back that my phone is a better computer than my computer.

...And that is really the testament to how far we've come. Besides screen real-estate, my phone can out gun my desktop probably 10-1. Granted my desktop is from 05, but still, its an amazing feat lol.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That first keynote is amazing. The first time I watched it, I was in complete awe.

For even more perspective, think about where we were in 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came this...

[​IMG]

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I agree it is coming, but for a phone in 2012/2013 it is not that important.

16. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm not purchasing or upgrading to anything until I see what WP8 looks like on a decent sized phone.

One thing is certain. There's fewer and fewer reasons to stay with an iPhone.

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I think you're right. It is actually really my Mac that is really making me stay with iPhone.