Perverts: They still exist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zenithal, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Zenithal macrumors 68040

That's a given, of course. Perverts were more common when I was a kid. Whether they were a woman or a man, a priest in terms of the latter.

I had no shuteye last night and I decided to not go into work. I'm not going to drive in my condition of no sleep for nearly 24 hours. I read our local and near local news. Ended up reading about a perv at a mall trying to touch women, old and young. He apparently got his hands on a senior citizen's body. Mall security, aka rent a cops, couldn't catch him.

I think even with all the Trump drama, we can sit back and appreciate (lack of a better word) the revolting idea that people like this still exist. People like this have the gall to pull **** like this. I've got young kids. This kind of stuff worries me. I'm sure it worries most, too.

I've made it a point for years for people, often women, to carry some type of bear repellent or mace. Even if you live in a state or country that makes it difficult to obtain such a "weapon."

Last night I read about two teachers in Florida who knowingly had sexual relations with the same student. I'd like to blame Florida because it's Florida, but even one of our local schools had a couple teachers in the last ten years who had sexual relations with a student.

Forget the Billy Bush tape for a moment. Call me sexist, but I'm inclined to say women experience far unwanted advances than men.

My two nephews are older now. But I still bought them that stuff when they went off to college. If not an advance, maybe someone looking to hurt them or otherwise. Because this is a public forum, let's just say I theoretically in my mind bought them both repellent bottles that weren't OK in this state and were far larger than the max amount. And baseball bats. Coincidentally, it did come in handy for the older one, after a drunk student tried to start a fight with a knife to a group of students. Got off scotch free, other student was expelled and arrested.

I had something going for this thread initially but I've lost track of what my point was. Try to take care of young people in your life and yourself. More and more we read about sick people hurting innocent people every day.

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Dude, if you let your mind go too far down that path you end up being a crazy shut-in that is afraid to go outside. If it makes you feel any better, violent crime has been on a downward trend for a long time. In terms of the history of the human race, there has never been a safer time to be alive. Protect yourself, look out for others, help out.

Sort of relevant anecdote regarding protecting children: I hate how in the US culture about parenting is that the parent bears 100% of the responsibility for their kids, and nobody else is allowed to even talk to the kids. It goes both ways, parents will freak out if you try to tell their kids they aren't behaving. Likewise, society blames parents for not doing better when a kid misbehaves. I was in Israel a while ago and I loved how it was different there. In Israel, raising kids seemed much more a shared responsibility with society in general bearing some small burden (lets say 95% parents 5% society). In one case while walking through a mall, I saw a young 4 or 5 year old girl wandering around alone asking for her mom. An off-duty soldier in uniform (they are all over the place, mandatory service and all) notices too, picks her up and puts her on his shoulders, and starts walking around asking whose girl this is. A few minutes later the mom finds them, the solider hands over the girl, the mom thanks him, and they both go on their way. It was so casual and usual. In another instance, a 9 or 10 year old boy was acting like a brat with his mom in the store, picking up items off the shelf and throwing them down. A total stranger walks up to the kid, kneels down next to him, and very sternly tells him to shut up and behave (I assume, my hebrew is not so good). The stern command from a stranger seemed to do the trick. Parent thanks this stranger and they both go on their way.

It was wild to me, but so much better than how we do things here. I think we would be so much better overall if we all helped look out for each other and each other's kids.

3. Zenithal thread starter macrumors 68040

LOL, I'm not a Trump supporter or easily swayed for that matter. Events like this are serious only because they're rare. Currently, in our city, the hottest gossip is about a 100 year old tree that needs to be cut down but tree huggers are going ape over it. It's not even a nice tree! It's a silly jacaranda. No one likes a jacaranda. They're pretty, but nasty trees. I feel the same with oak trees. A lot of varieties are protected in the county. You need to pay a lot of money for a permit and good reasoning to trim or cut one down. If it were up to me, I'd cut all of them down and use them in my woodworking (hobby). Or firewood.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017 ---
    That's more about parents who think their kids are angels and would never do anything wrong. I've always been open about other kids' behavior in public. I'd expect others to do the same. It's one of my pet peeves, actually, parents who think their kids are the best thing since sliced bread. That and people who'll say "As a parents," in a completely random situation.

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

pepper spray does come in handy BUT it needs to be "discrete" or students get in trouble for it. glad your niece is ok and yes gazillion perverts out there, main reason I don't take family to church :eek:

5. Zenithal thread starter macrumors 68040

It's wild only because you've never really been exposed to it. I've traveled a lot in my life and I've seen that behavior. It's only in more western countries where they treat kids like, well, children and write off everything. Even terrible behavior.
    Nephew, and yeah, the school did find out. It's my Alma, and no I didn't make a big donation. They wrote it off based on the situation. I'd like to say we weren't that dumb when we were still in school but I remember pulling some stupid stuff then, too. You do holidays only?

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

holidays, pretty much it.

what I meant is you can be expelled if caught with it on campus. happened at daughters school IIRC

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

True, I've seen similar behavior in other countries.

I'd describe it like this: We treat kids here like private parts - only I'm allowed to touch mine and only I bear responsibility for mine. I wish we treated kids like future private citizens - we all have a vested interest in making sure they grow up to be good, while balancing respect for the parents.

8. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Some training also comes in handy. Know the wind velocity.
    Am in Spain at moment. Pervert activity, outside the tourist areas, would be a rare event, thankfully.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Like I said, it goes both ways. Every time we lay 100% of the blame on the parents when their kid does something totally stupid it's supporting the same thing. I think the mentality of some a parents is this: "If I'm going to bear 100% of the blame for every stupid thing little Jonny does, I better receive 100% of the praise for every good thing little Jonny does too."

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

they need to know HOW it works and what they need to do when they are the ones sprayed.

11. Zenithal thread starter macrumors 68040

Ah, yes. True. Student advisors, which we nicknamed as "snitches" which isn't PC or so I'm told, were very nosy during my school days.

That is an incredibly strange comparison. Care to rephrase? :p

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Nope, going to leave it as is. :D

13. Zenithal thread starter macrumors 68040

It's always about the parents, too. Never really about the kids. That said, kids these days are smarter than we were.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's okay they are fatter too, so old me could out run smarter them.;)

15. BeeGood, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Like @oneMadRssn said, the country is actually safer today in terms of violent crime than it's been in a long time. It only seems like it's not because now, we have a 24 hour news cycles, social media, emails and other sources blasting us with the worst of humanity because, as we all know, "if it bleeds, it leads".

To your other point, I do believe that there is a parenting problem in the US, but probably not what you think. I believe part of the problem is that the culture has made the kids the focal point of the household. The kids' needs, schedule, desires dictate everything which leads to kids thinking that they are equal to adults.

Then, after we've spent the first 10-12 years of they're lives letting them believe that they're adult-equivalents, we check out. The engagement stops. They stop talking to us (of course they do, they've been convinced that they don't need us anymore) and we just "let them be". It's too tiring to deal with them because we're exhausted from a decade of carefully curating their lives.

Some parents ratchet up the authoritarianism in an attempt to "right the ship". Others simply sit back and wait until they move out. Neither way works because you never get a healthy adolescent-to-parent relationship going.

16. Zenithal thread starter macrumors 68040

Remember that movie, the Clumps? I've witnessed families in person like them. It's hard not to stare.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Kids are messed up these days, the parents are messed up, but it's OK because we have psychotropic drugs that fix everything.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

We are all perverts in the dark recesses of our minds.

Just saying...

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I strongly strongly STRONGLY suggest that everyone reads "Obsession" by FBI profiler John Douglas, especially the chapters on pervs and stalkers. It might well save your life or that of a friend of yours.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep. But when Hillary said it takes a village, everyone went NO WAY YOU COMMUNIST. All she meant as far as I could make of it was basically what you said, that it's better for us all when we all look after the next gen together. It makes kids less paranoid too. All this stuff about the bogeyman of the evil stranger really annoys me. There's less of that paranoia when kids do interact with more adults in their lives from day to day. They get to establish a baseline of what's acceptable behavior, what's accustomed.. . and what's not. The experience it. They feel it.

That's actually how we develop that gut level feeling we get when someone really is "wrong" in that way that, if we had a dog, might make the dog growl very very softly and hackles rise up in the back part of his neck fur. For the kid, that's his interior response when running into someone really "off" from a fairly broad experience with adults every day, it's recognition that "this person is not at all like all these other people I see around me every day."

That to me sure beats having a kid think everyone's a pervert, simply because he has no baseline past "strangers are bad don't let them near you". I'd want a kid to pick the nearest fat lady or burly cop and bodyslam himself into their arms with "I'm scared!" if he's scared. And I don't want him to think only people his color or speaking his language are safe helpers, either.

When I was a kid the neighborhood --urban or village or farming area or suburb, I lived in them all when I was a child-- always raised everybody's kids. Your life as a kid was definitely not your own. Old ladies sat on stoops or in dining-room quilting bees, looking out the window as school let out. Suburban matrons would come right down off their porch onto the sidewalk and grab your arm and tell you to straighten up and fly right if you got into a scuffle walking home from school with a bunch of other kids.

I once had a farmer's wife to march me --and a duckling I had tried to "adopt"-- back home to explain to my mom how I thought I was entitled to Mr.Fluffy. She practically had me by the ear and it was about a half mile walk but I guess she figured she had time. My mom thanked her and the neighbor sold us the duck and I got no supper that night. Life was hard LOL. Mr. Fluffy became my fricken responsibility, too and he lived a long and lazy life. I learned not to steal livestock. All good I guess. :rolleyes:

In the more urban environments, by god if you committed some kind of mischief between Mrs. Jones' house and Mrs. SantoLucito's house, by time you got home, the news of your crime had preceded your arrival and there was hell to pay. The 'hood was the' hood and everybody knew everybody and how to reach them one way or another. The raptures of the grapevine. There were party phone lines too, not private, and no one thought twice about busting into a conversation to say "Ella your little Susie's out here messing with my twins again, she like to poke their eyes out just now and I'm sending her home."

But it was all meant as protective and somehow the presentation of facts then was different too. It was more about the kids and less about the parents. More about Johnny did this he's been a bad little boy, you need to tell him not to walk in people's flowerbeds,,,, not Johnny did this and you owe me 85 bucks for the flowers he stomped on are you gonna pay or do I call my lawyer. Heh we object to anyone touching our kids but if our kids touch someone else's flowers we put it right out there don't we.

I am not sure how we got to this point. That was back in the 1940s. I'm still kicking and I'm not all that special, so it can't be that unsafe that a village minds your business when you're a kid. Maybe if we got rid of the lawyers, and the 24/7 scaremongering on TV...

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Today you'd be brought up on charges of assault for touching someone else's kid. Hell, you can't talk to kids a certain way without someone getting bent out of shape. I honestly think the respect for one another has been thrown out the window (adults) and that has now filtered down to the kids and now the kids have learned not to respect jack squat.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What has Jack Squat done to earn that respect? Hmm?

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

See, I always knew you were too young to be posting on this website.

24. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

er, you are supposed to respect EVERYONE UNTIL those people no longer deserve respect.............

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's not a rarity anymore. :(
    Ahem. God forbid you have an inter-racial child.