Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
That's actually the first thing that popped into my head when I opened my iPad box. I was actually surprised it didn't come with the headphones, but it's fine since I could just use the ones that came with my iPhone. Not necessary for me to have two headphones for the same purpose.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I could never understand this either. I guess its because apple thinks you less likely to use ear buds on a iPad. Or maybe they would feel it would take away the professional look of it.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
If anything, I'd like to see it come with the flip cover. I don't think that many people actually use the iPad with headphones and Apple's headphones are rubbish anyway so the less we see them the better.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
It is a cheap move on Apple's part but since iPad margins are lower, this is one way to save them some money.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The apple earphones aren't too bad. The current ones are probably the best headphones I've had with a phone. I use them from time to time but I'd rather use my Sennheiser's, beats or samsung Bluetooth headphones. Even my Skullcandy low riders. I'm not too bothered if they include them with the iPad or not.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Headphones = on the go. iPod includes them for obvious reasons, the iPhone includes them because people use them as a headset for the phone.

Id rather they didn't include headphones in the iPad box. It'd just jack up the price a bit, and lets face it, we all have piles of apple headphones we don't use.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hate the supplied earphones as it is, so I don't mind apple not including them

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
To out things in perspective, it would have cost apple less than $7 to up the RAM in the air, and given users a better experience. They opted not to do that either. I have lots of ear buds, headphones, etc... Lying around. I'd much rather apple spend the $$$ in other ways.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I, for one, never use Apple's ear pods, because they never stay in my ear, and the sound quality isn't so good anyway. For a while, when I was still buying iPods, they kept piling up with each new iPod I bought. So I'm relieved that Apple doesn't include ear pods with iPads, because they just go to waste.

I have some decent headphones - and the Apple earpods. I didn't appreciate the iPods until I read by chance about an app called DIRAC. Rarely am I taken with an app but this one really works amazingly well with about 85 percent of my music. From what I gather, the makers of the app measure the acoustical nature of the Apple earsets and create the equivalent to equalizer and a few other facets to dig deeper into the sound. I think the app was around 3 dollars so I didn't mind the pay to play around. - Now it is pretty much bringing new life back to the Apple ear pods.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I've got more earbuds than i know what to do with. I prefer them not including them because it just adds to clutter. If they didn't include the charger or lightning cable, I wouldn't care so much either since I've got piles of those as well.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I find it much worse that their computers don't come with standard adapters (like the ethernet or VGA adapters needed for the MBA) which many other OEMs include with their ultraportables.

But earbuds? I think Apple may also be trying to be green (and cost conscious) here by not including something they know so many are just going to throw away or otherwise not use.

You can get a decent (not great but decent) pair of earbuds for like ~$10 so I don't see the harm in excluding them.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Do any tablets come with headphones? My Nexus 7 didn't. Like some others have said, I think the rationale is that tablets aren't primarily seen as music players.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I don't mind the lack of Earpods, but I do wish we were given a longer Lightning cable.

I have to agree with this. Apple is just being plain cheap when it comes to the lightning cable length. The day I bought my Air was the day I surfed over to Monoprice and picked up a 10FT lightning cable for $12. Much thicker cable than the one Apple offers.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have to agree with this. Apple is just being plain cheap when it comes to the lightning cable length. The day I bought my Air was the day I surfed over to Monoprice and picked up a 10FT lightning cable for $12. Much thicker cable than the one Apple offers.

But not everyone wants a longer cable. I think the currently included cable is about a reasonable length, and people who want longer cables should get one themselves. Or better yet, use an electric extension cord, or an USB extension cord, as need be.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
But not everyone wants a longer cable. I think the currently included cable is about a reasonable length, and people who want longer cables should get one themselves. Or better yet, use an electric extension cord, or an USB extension cord, as need be.

That's what I do.

However, what if Apple supplied a longer cable and people who didn't want a longer one bought a shorter one for themselves?

:)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That's what I do.

However, what if Apple supplied a longer cable and people who didn't want a longer one bought a shorter one for themselves?

:)

Well... It's one or the other. IMO, a too long cable can't be cut short, while a too short cable can be used with an extension cord, so I think Apple is correct in including the cable in its current length. Don't get me wrong -- I bought the longer cable myself, so I'm not disparaging people who want longer cables. I just think that, since Apple can't customize the in-box cable length to each buyer's preference, it's better to err on the side of being too short. And it's not like the current cable is extremely short, it it?

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Well... It's one or the other. IMO, a too long cable can't be cut short, while a too short cable can be used with an extension cord, so I think Apple is correct in including the cable in its current length. Don't get me wrong -- I bought the longer cable myself, so I'm not disparaging people who want longer cables. I just think that, since Apple can't customize the in-box cable length to each buyer's preference, it's better to err on the side of being too short. And it's not like the current cable is extremely short, it it?

It is too short in my opinion. It seems that anytime I want to use one to go from my surge protector to my desk it is too short.

However, this is just my situation. I know it varies for everyone.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It is too short in my opinion. It seems that anytime I want to use one to go from my surge protector to my desk it is too short.

However, this is just my situation. I know it varies for everyone.

I think the cables that come with iDevices are intended to go from a computer USB port to the device, rather than from an outlet on the wall or floor. Remember, a primary function of these cables is to sync the device, though that is becoming less and less needed as we go to cloud and wireless.

When Apple gives you cables they envision as plugging in to the wall, they are more than generous. AirPort, iMac, AppleTV... they all have cables coiling on the floor. We were like, could they make it longer? LOL.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Now I understand why people get annoyed by others who apologize for Apple's ridiculousness then tell the consumer to fix it. And BTW, I never said everybody feels the way I do but I'm pretty sure you'll get more people preferring a longer cable than what gets "thrown in" with the iPad . :rolleyes:

----------

I think the cables that come with iDevices are intended to go from a computer USB port to the device, rather than from an outlet on the wall or floor. Remember, a primary function of these cables is to sync the device, though that is becoming less and less needed as we go to cloud and wireless.

When Apple gives you cables they envision as plugging in to the wall, they are more than generous. AirPort, iMac, AppleTV... they all have cables coiling on the floor. We were like, could they make it longer? LOL.

As I was saying...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Now I understand why people get annoyed by others who apologize for Apple's ridiculousness then tell the consumer to fix it. And BTW, I never said everybody feels the way I do but I'm pretty sure you'll get more people preferring a longer cable than what gets "thrown in" with the iPad . :rolleyes:

Well, I honestly never felt that the included cable was too short, so... I didn't mean to apologize for Apple, just trying to explain why *I* think the cable is long enough.

As for whether more people would prefer a longer cable or not, we'll never know unless we do a market survey or something. Neither of us can really know what "most people" think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.