PETA: at it again, taking shots at Mario.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Nov 16, 2011.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I swear it's as though they're parodying themselves. I wonder when they're going to wake up and realize that no one with three functioning brain cells to rub together takes them seriously.

Story

So just to clarify, it's wrong that Mario gets a Tanooki suit from a magical leaf, because that's cruelty to animals or whatever, yet they're conspicuously silent on the concept of earning points from jumping on and kicking turtles around. I'll leave off the fact that they're also about 23 years late to the party.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I agree. They don't need anyone to create publicity disasters for them, because they make them themselves. Also all their use of sexualizing women to promote animal welfare I find kind of creepy.

OTOH I will admit that before I saw this in the news a day or two ago, I didn't know that tanuki were skinned for fur.

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Don't get me wrong, what people do to tanookis in real life is atrocious, they are often skinned alive. Who ever engages in these kinds of activities should be shot. I honestly think if you're capable of doing that to an animal, you're capable of killing a human because clearly you have no heart. That being said, this is a frickin video game, and things like this are why PETA will never be taken seriously.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It's a video game, which means it is not a real Tanooki whatever suit. That makes it a faux Tanooki suit.

When PETA comes out and attacks everyone who wears faux fur to save minks and rabbits and other cute or tasty animals, then they might regain some credibility.

This is nothing more than making a fuss about exactly what they want people to do; use fake or not at all.

8. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

No one thinks torturing animals for fur is cool.

However, considering the fact that a member of their board has diabetes, and currently (and constantly) recieves treatment in form of insuline, a medicine brought partly from animal product and discovered by animal testing, says that she doesn't consider herself a hypocrite, she needs her health to fight for animal rights, PETA has less credibility than Glenn Beck high on PCP talking about the underlying social structures of the Albanian middle class in the 1930s.

That, and they kill a bunch of animals, all the while protesting outside animal shelters who try to find new homes for abandoned pets.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

They are and they aren't afraid to be for attention. It's a publicity stunt to coincide and ride the coattails of the release of mario on the 3DS. And this kind of advertising works time and time again. Because people like you copy and paste it and share it and post it on internet forums. The campaign is only a few days old and already garnered coverage in national newspapers and discussed online across the world. It would have cost them next to nothing to run the campaign. Like their message or not I think they are some of the absolute best manipulators of the media and public to get there message across.

This. It's actually a good way to bring awareness.

Here's a link to the PETA video of racoon dogs being beaten and skinned alive to make fur products (for instance knock-off Ugg boots). http://features.peta.org/ChineseFurFarms/ (NSFW)

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why skin an animal alive?

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you haven't then watch the video. It's much cheaper and easier to stun the animal by beating it's head with a stick or against the ground. The less invasive and vigorous the stunning the better as the pelt doesn't get damaged and can bring a better price.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

To get to the other side?

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It's Bowser's attempt to finally be rid of Mario.

He already tried killing him, but Mario has unlimited 1UP's.;)

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Because the Chinese have a long way to go when it comes to animal rights...

Come to think of it, you can't expect them to progress on animal rights when they suck at human rights too. They may be an economic powerhouse, but I have serious issues with their culture. They treat their own citizens like crap.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Same here, but just from a standpoint of efficiency, it would seem far easier to skin an animal if it were dead.

16. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Good, but disingenuous

Smearing a Japanese company to bring attention to something happening in China

here's my favorite PETA video (NSFW)

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The most efficient would be not to kill them in the first place as there is no demand for fur. Something that animal rights activists (including peta) have done an absolutely fantastic job of turning the public against through campaigns in the last 30 years or so.

It's not disingenuous by any definition :confused:.

18. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Couldn't have said it better. They aren't out to boycott the game, it's just a tool to get more publicity. Hardly an original stunt, but it works none the less.

19. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

That might be true, but shouldn't one speak out against stupidity?

20. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Yeah it is. Considering Nintendo isn't in the fur trade and isn't even a Chinese company, it's ethically irresponsible for PETA to give them bad PR just to draw attention to something going on in China

Exception is if PETA didn't know Japan and China were different countries. In that case they wouldn't be disingenuous, they'd just be dumb and racist

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Oh I see you are upset at peta for acting "ethically irresponsibly" against nintendo.

22. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

No I don't care enough to get upset

More like smh at advocacy groups who can't conduct a campaign without using deceit

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am a member of PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals

I say this is really like them grasping at straws here looking for a way to make the news.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I missed this earlier but one could level the same argument at much of modern medicine that one way or another is tainted by historically extremely unethical practices such as live human vivisection or nazi human experimentation (from which we learnt a lot about human physiology and therapeutics). It would be rich of anyone to challenge you not use antibiotics (for instance) based on the fact that their efficacies were derived from non-consensual human experimentation as doing so would be "hypocritical".

Animal rights is not an all or nothing. One can use insulin (much of which is synthetic these days) originally derived from animal experimentation and still be pro-animal rights. Limiting one's negative impact on animals or reducing it is a good outcome we should all strive for. Using insulin and not wearing leather/eating meat/whatever is still less impact on animals than using insulin and doing such things.

25. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I could probably make the same argument for what used to happen here during the Sarah Palin Thread of the Day era. Then again, I look no more favorably on their position on anything after this than I did before it. In fact, it made me want to go out and eat a cheeseburger. With bacon on it, for good measure.

Here's some links to PETA killing animals, something they're supposedly against. What's your point?
    Story 1
    Story 2
    Story 3