Pete Buttigieg is a far left Liberal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 17, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

If Biden is smart he won’t let the rest of the field force him to the far left. Democrats weren’t running on green new deal, reparations and Medicare for all last year. That’s a sure fire way to lose an election.

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Agree with everything except for the reparations bit.

5. appleisking macrumors 6502a

There's majority support on all of the above except reparations. Sorry, this isn't radical anywhere outside the conservative bubble.

6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Your choice, Trump or this :).

7. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

All of these positions are mainstream and have majority support other than reparations.

8. Zenithal, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019

Zenithal macrumors 604

From what I've watched of him, his idea on reparations is light at best and mostly hover wording. The reality is any sensible minority will realize such an act will never occur in their lifetime. It simply isn't feasible.

That said, even if he played that card, you'd still have trouble getting Blacks to vote for a white guy if they hold any racial grudge, let alone a gay white guy.

It would be interesting to watch him debate Trump. There's nothing Trump could attack him on apart from being gay or that he's not a billionaire. The highest salary Buttigieg ever had was around $180K while working for a consulting company, and IIRC that salary figure was a one time ordeal in 2009.

Recalling from memory from his tax disclosure, I think he makes around $70K as mayor and his husband makes less than $40,000 as an educator. A high school teacher, IIRC. That's fairly humble, IMO.

As a Republican, Biden or Sanders don't interest me. Both are decent politicians, but they're not Presidential material. Much like Bush and Obama, Trump is very aloof on Asian and European foreign policy.

I know nothing of what this guy has to offer. All I'll say is Trump did not get my vote in 2016 and won't in 2020. He and much of the current GOP do not represent my greater interests and do not stick to any of the core ideals of the party that I fell in love with.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I love how incredibly vague these statements are. I really don’t know what any of this means.

If reparations are to close the wealth gap, does that mean that’s a lifelong payout? Does it only apply to descendants of slaves? I don’t see how a one time payout would have any effect on closing the wealth gap. Does 18 year old black American get reparations if their family moved to the US 19 years ago? What about black people who at or above the average US income. What about those that are above the poverty level in general? What about other groups with historical discrimination?

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

Any good politician won't be specific like Trump was and then break said promises. Sure Trump made good on many promises, but look how that's turned out. The American buyer is suffering. So is the American producer.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Who cares? Don’t vote for him then. Yes, honest, open, smart and legit is usually less than rich and entitled. So what?

12. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

There’s majority support on getting rid of private medical insurance and the green new deal? In what country? Certainly not the US.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2019 ---
    Well I most likely won’t be voting, but if I do I’ll write in Mickey Mouse.

13. jerwin macrumors 68020

sound reasonable to me. What's unreasonable is the prospect that Moderates value Gerrymandering. Perhaps a moderate could explain it to me.

14. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Nice straw man. Medicare for all all doesn’t get rid of private insurance. Incase you haven’t noticed we have Medicare for some right now and they’re also perfectly capable of getting private insurance as well

15. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Let’s hope they learned a lesson or two.

Prolly not.

Remember them talking big about the Blue Wave? *chuckles*

16. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

“Medicare For All Who Want It” is a rebranded public option. Obama ran on the same idea in 2008.

17. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Why are you chuckling? You think that the biggest midterm victory margin in over 30 years wasn’t a wave?

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I fall to see the far leftness of any of this.

19. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

In other news water is still wet lol. Why are conservatives surprised?
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2019 ---
    That fair view of gerrymandering is considered liberal? What's the current system viewed as? Evil and conservative?

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Actually, the current system should be viewed as evil and unfair.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

New Zealand, Australia, Mexico and South Africa have all paid reparations in one form or another.

22. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Was it though?

I don’t think this will end how you think it will.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The national popular vote margin for the House was +8.6% for the Democrats. That’s the largest margin by either party in a mid-term election since 1986. You can argue about what that means for 2020, but you really cannot argue that it was not a huge win for the Democrats.

24. Scepticalscribe, May 19, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 12:42 PM

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What a silly - and uninformed - thread title.

That is not a "far left" programme (except perhaps in the United States); certainly, in Europe, such a programme would merely be considered civilised and sane, enlightened and responsible.