Peter Thiel is no longer 'gay' because he supports Trump

zin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Peter Thiel Shows Us There's a Difference Between Gay Sex and Gay

Peter Thiel, the Silicon Valley billionaire who made news this summer for endorsing Donald Trump at the Republican convention, is a man who has sex with other men. But is he gay?
By the logic of gay liberation, Thiel is an example of a man who has sex with other men, but not a gay man. Because he does not embrace the struggle of people to embrace their distinctive identity.
In this way, Thiel reaffirmed his own sexual choices — while separating himself from gay identity. His notion that transgender people’s predicament is somehow a distraction effectively rejects the conception of LGBT as a cultural identity that requires political struggle to defend. For a technologist who sees himself as defining the future, it is a very premodern sentiment.
The gay liberation movement has left us a powerful legacy, and protecting that legacy requires understanding the meaning of the term "gay" and not using it simply as a synonym for same-sex desire and intimacy.
Emphasis mine. Can't make this up. Translation: If you don't support Hillary then you don't belong.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Emphasis mine. Can't make this up. Translation: If you don't support Hillary then you don't belong.
Society is broken, exhibit A being what people desire to have as sexual norms that are not. When someone writes an article with this kind of jibberish, one can only come the conclusion that the writer and those that follow has a mental disorder.

Reactions: steve knight

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Also in the article,

And those consequences go beyond someone like Peter Thiel endorsing a platform that is actually dangerous to LGBT people.
Individual people who don't disclose their HIV status, regardless of reason but the disease's statistics are still predominately a GLBT issue, are far more dangerous than any political party except for Hitler or ISIL. /realitycheck /readthearticle

But no worries, tolerance extends to all...

except ex-gays and others that stopped believing the bull... (after all, is "love" giving a partner an STD without telling them in advance. Like HIV. So pass all the marriage laws in favor, most gays still openly call marriage "outdated" and "archaic" and "unevolved" and continue to spread their hate, either as disease or anyone who doesn't look or act the way the "gay majority" dictates - "no fats, no femmes, height/weight proportionate, straight acting", etc...)

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Because he's successful? Envy is a horrible waste of time.
She never said that. You are assuming that. Perhaps you should remain silent until she states why she believes Thiel is at guano crazy instead of desperately trying to put words in her mouth to prove your point.

BL.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
You posted op-eds in other threads for discussion. What's the problem? We post them for discussion.
Only his posts matter though.
[doublepost=1476637340][/doublepost]
She never said that. You are assuming that. Perhaps you should remain silent until she states why she believes Thiel is at guano crazy instead of desperately trying to put words in her mouth to prove your point.

BL.
SJWs unite!

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
You posted op-eds in other threads for discussion. What's the problem? We post them for discussion.
Feel free to prove your claim.

Show a post where I've quoted an op-ed and used it to paint a picture of the opposition.

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Hey @Snoopy4 - What is the definition of gay as it relates to sexuality? How does a man who enjoys sexual relations with another man not fit that definition.

This is why I think he's crazy. As to his success, I know nothing about him.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Just a general observation ...

We are in the midst of a re-evaluation of what gender and sexuality are. In my opinion, it's entirely possible for a man to engage in homosexual sex without considering himself gay. But the key here is it's up to the individual to describe themselves and their make up, and to come to some agreement about that with their friends, family and lovers. It's a disservice to categorize someone else because they don't fit your definition. And it's certainly not fair to exclude someone simply because they don't agree with you politically.

zin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Feel free to prove your claim.

Show a post where I've quoted an op-ed and used it to paint a picture of the opposition.
I'm not playing your game because I didn't do that. I never said or even implied that the author of this piece spoke for the entirety of the opposition.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
SJWs unite!
Perhaps you're unaware that the term "SJW" is sensibly enough being reclaimed from the realm of the pejorative remark, where it somehow fell during one of the recent dark ages. Keep coming back though, SJWs don't mind rational criticism.

Exactly. Maybe if sincere about discussion, then remarking a little more evenhandedly at the outset? Otherwise who knows, someone who reads it as merely a provocative slam might not bother considering it on its merits.

Reactions: bradl

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I'm not playing your game because I didn't do that. I never said or even implied that the author of this piece spoke for the entirety of the opposition.
So in your OP, when you said, "If you don't support Hillary then you don't belong," you must have been speaking only about the author of the op-ed piece, and not applying that to a larger group.

Is that correct?

zin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Just a general observation ...

We are in the midst of a re-evaluation of what gender and sexuality are. In my opinion, it's entirely possible for a man to engage in homosexual sex without considering himself gay. But the key here is it's up to the individual to describe themselves and their make up, and to come to some agreement about that with their friends, family and lovers. It's a disservice to categorize someone else because they don't fit your definition. And it's certainly not fair to exclude someone simply because they don't agree with you politically.
I agree. You should have posted this originally instead of saying I was trying to broadly paint the opposition. The reason I posted the piece is because of the absurdity of the author in suggesting that Peter Thiel is not gay because he doesn't 'culturally' identify with the author (i.e. supports the opposition).
[doublepost=1476640667][/doublepost]
So in your OP, when you said, "If you don't support Hillary then you don't belong," you must have been speaking only about the author of the op-ed piece, and not applying that to a larger group.

Is that correct?
That is correct, which is why the word "Translation:" appears below the quote of the piece in question.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Hey @Snoopy4 - What is the definition of gay as it relates to sexuality? How does a man who enjoys sexual relations with another man not fit that definition
How indeed? How is a person with a penis and XY chromosomes a women? Progs created this world where definitions--like genders--are fluid and they mean whatever we want them to mean. Embrace it.

Reactions: Snoopy4

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
... That is correct, which is why the word "Translation:" appears below the quote of the piece in question.
This is why I put so little stock in individual op-ed pieces.

It's just one person's opinion which means so little.

But it is a worthy subject, so I'm not complaining about having the opportunity to discuss it.

--like genders--are fluid
Gender may be fluid but biological sex is not [the exception being the 0.001 % that are born with partial or full additional sex chromosomes]. Furthermore, there are also those that don't neatly file into any of the orthodox gender categorizations.

Some are now claiming race is fluid, despite there being genetic descriptors [i.e. haplogroups] that are vertically inherited.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Hey @Snoopy4 - What is the definition of gay as it relates to sexuality? How does a man who enjoys sexual relations with another man not fit that definition.

This is why I think he's crazy. As to his success, I know nothing about him.
So he's crazy because he's gay?

I don't think you read the article.

Last edited:

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I'm just confused as to how people are somehow shocked that a rich CEO is voting Republican.