Peter Thiel speech at RNC receives standing ovation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I imagine the first openly gay Republican to speak at a republican convention, received standing ovation for a great speech. Even mentioned that he was proud gay Republican.

This is the same crowd who boo'd Ted Cruz last night.

2. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

From Peter Thiel’s speech:

https://twitter.com/i/videos/756299494057271296

“Instead of going to Mars, we have invaded the Middle East. We don’t need to see Hillary Clinton’s deleted emails—her incompetence is in plain sight. She pushed for a war in Libya and today it’s a training ground for ISIS. On this most important issue, Donald Trump is right: It’s time to end the era of stupid wars and rebuild our country.”​

3. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I especially liked his mention of how the government in the 60s was building the Internet and going to the moon, our major government triumph now is deciding which bathroom to use.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well NASA used to get 4% of the budget. Now it's .004%. We probably would be halfway to Mars by now if they had the money.

Source: a vice episode I saw the other day.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Great speech but I'm sure the neocons didn't care for it.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not everyone stood up in the room. There are still anti-gay people in the convention hall. I did like that he said he didn't agree with his party's whole platform. But then I wonder what efforts he has personally made to change that? It is the most anti-gay platform the party has ever had according to a heterosexual Republican I heard on the news this morning. And I beleive her. It's pretty bad.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't know how it serves the GOP to actively perpetuate the "culture wars" aspect of their platform in a year when the populist sentiment on the left and right tends to be more about economic issues, although immigration issues are of interest in a sort of hot-button way past job concerns.

The original fans of Trump were not about issues like abortion, gay marriage, LGBTQ. They were about immigration and jobs and corruption in DC. Or not even that. From Trump they sensed permission to openly hate whole groups of people in America again, and to dismiss any signs of respect for diversity as mere "political correctness."

The platform adjustments, tightening up on social issues seemed a sop to more traditional conservatives and evangelicals. Sort of like picking Pence as VP candidate. Both were ways of saying "Look we know you're worried Trump isn't conservative enough, but this platform and this VP will hold his feet to the fire."

Of course holding his feet to the fire is probably a Herculean task and no one will be able to maintain control of him on the stump 24/7. I'm amazed he minimized his ad libs to that forever-ongoing speech tonight. Someone must have promised him a Trump steak or something if he stuck to the script.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Republican rank and file, state houses around the US are trying their damnest to pass LGBT pro-discrimination laws. Oh sure, let's just forget that restroom silliness. I'm sure they just loved him and will urge an about face on the issue. :rolleyes:

9. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Do those convention goers even know what the moon is?

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Of course not. They're intellectually inferior to liberals, right? The left are the REAL gods.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I think TrumpCare will cover acute snobbery and arrogance.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Boo

13. Zenithal, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

Zenithal macrumors 68040

As a former registered Republican who now abstains from voting because I hate both parties and the middle, I'll give my 2 cents. I think that there are Republican politicians who don't truly believe in the bull they spout, but do so for campaign donations and job security. At some point, you learn to give up on your principles if you want to keep working.

That said, I'd imagine there are truly anti-gay folks at that convention who felt annoyed by Thiel, but they could respect the man for the wealth he's built up by throwing his weight around. And then, I'd imagine, poorer Republicans from terrible socio-economic areas of the country will believe that will be them one day because of trickle down.

Realistically speaking, both parties have gone bat**** insane and should be dismantled and started over from the core principles.

Also, I forgot to bring this up but Thiel is German born. Even if he's a citizen now, I sincerely doubt any true Red Republican would consider his speech to be worth anything simply for that fact. Playing off of the silly GOP mantra from '08 and '12 where they stated people from small towns in middle America were true Americans.

14. unlinked macrumors 6502a

The flyover country/real america stuff feels more 2004 to me really.

I imagine most people will just ignore him being born in Germany and it won't interact with the vague anti German racism you see in the convention thread.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2016 ---
    The budget was 4% of the budget for 2 years 1965 and 1966. Now it is 0.005 of the budget which is 0.5%

15. MarkusL macrumors 6502

16. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yup. Idk how anybody could disagree with this. Good for Peter Theil and, frankly, good for the Republicans. Hopefully this helps them be more open toward homosexuals.

We will likely end up with establishment, crooked, not-in-American's best interest, hawk Hillary, but at least it appears that the tide is slowly turning. Would be funny to see the Republicans do an about face and become the part of doves (both parties are hawkish as hell right now).

17. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Would it help if she pushed for war in Iran the way all the anti-Clinton people keeps saying she wants to? Donald seems to want to push for a war with Iran with his talk on stopping nuclear proliferation, if there's a better guess on his plans, let's hear them instead of conjecture...

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

at the end of the day not everyone has to like or personally approve of gays. welcome to life. there are probably plenty on the dems side that don't either but only say the do for political reasons.

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

It's not hawkish but if a real need arises, which is usually self-defense. Bush lied and blew it big time for offensive strategy (he wanted revenge on Saddam for those death threats, remember, and how Iraq's oil did not pay for it - unlike what Bush stated but he lied, numerous times, on the cause for having to have that war and duped everyone into believing it initially.) If Bush succeeded (and telling the truth) the US would have been held in higher standard. But the mess is made and the US has to clean it up and ramifications have been global as a result of these and other blunders.

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

a war with Iran is already planned. he's not a friend of the US Petrodollar and Iran is the last of the states to fall. Assad will fall first though.

21. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Well, gay or not, I'd listen to the words being said and not care about the person. Republicans claim to be for freedom so they shouldn't give a crap about the individual's personal life and personal freedom therein. They can dislike all they want but they should tolerate. No different than gays tolerating ex-gays.

Also, to change a society and it's just dawned on me, does saying "I'm gay, gimme gimme gimme" do any good? Apart from looking like a narcissist (like all but one of my exes) What he should do is to spin, create a system (like trickle down economics) and sell it to his comrades to accept it. We all know trickle down is a bait'n'switch, but we don't know any plan of his to get anti-gay people to tolerate (I know of a couple ways, but I choose not to say them right now and maybe I had in the past - which opens up yet another facet we're forgetting)...

Or that the guy is focusing more on the biggest issues and saving the smaller ones (5% of the population is gay, still focus on things that help 100% of the population first and foremost.)

I ultimately don't care about his personal life, I'm not going to date him. So I focus on the issues. That's what the people who didn't up to ovate should do.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Or ex-tall people. Or ex-blue eyed people. Or ex-white people.

23. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Yes, because all democrats (especially the ones that will be at the DNC) are all accepting of gays.

So you completely discredit Thiel but choose to believe a random person on the news. Glad you have your safe zone of picking who fits your agenda.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Which Democrats are pushing anti-gay legislation?

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can you re-explain that? 5% of what exactly? You lost me here, I might be missing some context.