Peter Tork of The Monkees dies at 77

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Feb 21, 2019.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This groups resurgence in the mid 1980s thanks to Nick at Night in the mid 80s played a huge part of my childhood. :(

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Peter-Tork-of-The-Monkees-is-dead-at-77-506160771.html

And apropos enough, Daydream Believer just came up next on my playlist for today. :(

BL.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I hadn't known this, and thanks for sharing.

Actually, I really liked The Monkees, and some of their music was exceedingly good (not least because they had managed to attract some seriously good song-writers to write music for them).

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Interesting you mention this. NPR picked up the story this morning, in which they mentioned that only their first album didn't contain any music written by the band, notwithstanding the fact that Mike Nesmith and Tork were musicians-turned actors, while Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones were actors-turned-musicians. Their third album was primarily of songs played by the band.

I never would have heard of them if it literally weren't for Nickelodeon here in the US getting a lot of criticism and feedback from kids that an "all kids channel" was being co-opted by a young "Arts and Entertainment Network (A&E) at 7pm every night, playing different variants of Evita and Carmen. To the young 6-10 year old, that was boring. So they came up with Nick at Nite, showing reruns of Dennis the Menace, Donna Reed, Mr. Ed, My Three Sons, The Monkees, and many more that brought these to the attention of 80s kids.

BL.

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I remember them on Saturday mornings in the 60’s. Excuse me as I change oxygen tanks.